Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:48 AM   #16
xfeejayx
AF Regular

Re: Viper vs Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
Did you conclude that after drive a new Corvette or Corvette Z06?

The new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has been named an "All-Star" by Automobile Magazine.

i don't think you read the part where i plainly said that the vette is faster, cheaper, and more technologicaly advanced, and also said that i would STILL take the Viper over the Vette.
Of course if i got in one, it would seem powerful to me. i've never driven anything over 250hp, and these have 500+ each+. but the corvette doesn't seem to have the charm any more, imo, because they are everywhere, and are not true-bred race cars (which is why so many people have one). i have followed vipers down highways doing 90+ just so i can get a good look, and i don't bother turning my head twice to look at a vette cuz ill prolly see one around the next corner, and i'm sure this is true for many many other people. People would probably come out and say 'the vette is faster, the vette is cheaper, the vette is lighter, the vette is more comfortable, livable, practical, advanced...' i'm sure i can make a long long list myself. Again, that being said, i'd STILL take the Viper. I'm not a Viper fan because it makes a great daily driver, i'm a Viper fan because you wouldn't last 20 minutes in one (nor would I). I'm a Viper fan because it gives you the raw, powerful, muscle car feel, and makes sure you don't forget it. The vette seems to cover the experience in pillows to soften the blow. I'm a guy who plays football to feel the pain, who drives home made off road vehicles, if i wanted to soften the blow, i'd play baseball. Its not that i don't respect the corvette and what it has accomplished, but from my point of view, id rather get my legs singed on the door sills than drive a vette.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #17
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Sales for Corvettes have actually gone down this year when compared to last year due, in part, because some people were waiting for the new Z06.

The new C6 Z06 was developed alongside the new C6-R.

The Viper SRT10 lacks dry-sump lubrication which is used in race cars and the new Z06.

The Viper lacks "charm" when compared to a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. It lacks gizmos and even uses the same steering rack as the S7R, which has won nearly 40 races around the world.

Do you live in Bowling Green, Kentucky or something?
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #18
xfeejayx
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
Sales for Corvettes have actually gone down this year when compared to last year due, in part, because some people were waiting for the new Z06.

The new C6 Z06 was developed alongside the new C6-R.

The Viper SRT10 lacks dry-sump lubrication which is used in race cars and the new Z06.

The Viper lacks "charm" when compared to a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. It lacks gizmos and even uses the same steering rack as the S7R, which has won nearly 40 races around the world.

Do you live in Bowling Green, Kentucky or something?

i do agree that the viper lacks 'charm' when compared to an s7. in fact, a little bit after my last post here, i went and started a thread in the s7 forum to ask what makes it so expensive, turns out that its the same thing that makes the viper great, that anybody that drives a competing car (in this case a murcielago) would not last 20 minutes in an s7. and i don't care what the sales say (cuz i see them on the road). i will clearly restate, maybe u will understand it this time. I repect the corvette and everything it can do, and i wouldn't mind having one. but the reason i would get a viper (or an s7) , is because corvette owners (and lambo owners) wouldn't want one (which you are demonstrating here).

now that the actual auto part is out of the way, let me address your ignorance. i don't know where the comment about kentucky came from, i've never even heard of bowling green. i live in chiago, heard of that? i'm liking the auto talk and the info you are bringing to the table (cuz u seem to know more than me, and i'm not being sarcastic), but let's keep the forum to that huh?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:19 AM   #19
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75

I'd say the Viper is long overdue a nice "retuning" to remain King of the Domestic Drivers...then the Z06 would have a nice run for it's money...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653398
1992 Buick Park Avenue (Daily driver)
2001 Saturn SL1 (gas saver)
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Corvettes are built in Bowling Green, Kentucky and so there would likely be a lot of them there on the streets and around the factory.

I do wish the Corvette C6 was only available with a manual transmission like the Viper.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #21
xfeejayx
AF Regular

Re: Re: Viper vs Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekee75
I'd say the Viper is long overdue a nice "retuning" to remain King of the Domestic Drivers...then the Z06 would have a nice run for it's money...
i do agree that there are some things about the viper that are a little more primitive than charming. i do wish they had more hp coming out of an 8.3 than they do. but the tourque does just keep coming on that machine. i also wish that they would do something about the side pipes. i do like the look, but it's awkward to be able to cook eggs on the door sill of a car.

and the viper in its current state gives the z06 a good run for its money. well, maybe a little more money

Last edited by xfeejayx; 12-27-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #22
AvAlAnChE1090
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to AvAlAnChE1090

If I had a viper, I wouldn't do any performance mods to it, i'd shave off some weight for it to be lighter. I'd still take the viper over a 'vette any day.
AvAlAnChE1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #23
paul_meets_mark
AF Newbie

IMO....I'd rather buy a Lincoln Mark VIII, get one yourself and you'll see why, lol...
Old 02-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
VincentDurango
AF Regular

IMO i would take the Viper, Why? If i had that money i would buy based on looks. I would also take comfort that i could lay waste to most street racers out there. Well not most, i know alot of people in there 20k cars that can beat vipers and corvettes... But I still would like a Viper. Regardless of being slower then a vette, they stand out and are admired or hated, it still turns head even if it is hated.

Edit: also i see 2-4 corvettes everyday, and it being winter i see one driving around at least once a week. Only ever see a handfull of vipers in the summer. None stick either, each one is different.
VincentDurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #25
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx
fact: the z06 is outperforms the srt-10 in almost every aspect, str8 line, cornering, lap times, etc...
fact: you will probably see 20 vettes (i believe 10% of which will be z06) before you see 1 viper, and that's if you're lucky (i think im up to about 30 something vettes now)
fact: z06- aluminum and fiber, viper- steel and, uhhh, steel

that being said, id take the viper over the vette in a heartbeat. the vette just doesn't have the charm anymore, they seem to be a dime a dozen (obviously an exageration). i think what gets me about the viper is that most people would rather take the vette, that's the point. a viper is made so that you almost don't want to buy it. it is hardcore kick in the gut power (they were reluctant to put an AC in it, and it didn't come with glass windows at first). and the viper doesn't even need traction control to feel like a race car. yes the vette is more technologicaly advanced, yes it is faster (with the help of TC), yes it is more livable and comfortable, but all that is because they sell so many=more research funds='better car'=they sell more...the viper has is and will (hopefully) remain the car that vette owners love to hate.
It's the same thing with Mustangs...........tooooooo popular. I go for a drive down the highway, and see 2x more vette's than I do vipers. The occational lamborghini every few months or so. Vipers are less common, they turn more heads when people see them. Vette's....well, when i see one, i look back to what i was doing and keep going. Viper...i watch till i can't see it no more and even then i reposition myself so that I'll be able to see it up to the last possible second...besides, that V-10 growl...if you can even describe it as a growl...is so unique compared to a V-8, you've pretty much heard them all. Though I do admit, that huge in your face V-8 sound does something to a man no woman can ever do! But that V-10 sound is quite something. It caught my attention the first time I heard it and i tell you, i never forgot it. Vette owners love to hate...because the vette owners are proud to own a heritage...viper doesn't have much of a heritage compared to vette and look how far the viper has come...rivaling their precious babies! Vipers...no room for babies...200+ MPH ZONE ONLY!
lincolnmaster80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #26
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Quote:
People would probably come out and say '...the vette is more comfortable, livable, practical, advanced...'
You call that a race car?

Quote:
i'm sure i can make a long long list myself. Again, that being said, i'd STILL take the Viper. I'm not a Viper fan because it makes a great daily driver, i'm a Viper fan because you wouldn't last 20 minutes in one (nor would I). I'm a Viper fan because it gives you the raw, powerful, muscle car feel, and makes sure you don't forget it. The vette seems to cover the experience in pillows to soften the blow. I'm a guy who plays football to feel the pain, who drives home made off road vehicles, if i wanted to soften the blow, i'd play baseball. Its not that i don't respect the corvette and what it has accomplished, but from my point of view, id rather get my legs singed on the door sills than drive a vette.
You speaka my language!
lincolnmaster80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #27
convdart
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to convdart

I would take the Viper, first and biggest reason would be looks. When you see the Viper you see a racecar. I don't know why, but when I see a Corvette on the road I just see maybe a fast cruiser, but I don't see a race car...second and almost as big...it's a DODGE, Chevy's can kiss my ***. I'm a diehard MOPAR fan till the day I die!
convdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #28
Ford GT40
AF Newbie

The viper looks better and faster.
Ford GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #29
flatlander757
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to flatlander757

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJoS76LpMo

The way that the host of Top Gear feels pretty much sums it up.

The type of person that buys a Viper is the same guy that daily drives a no-AC, stripped interior, full roll cage drag car... the only thing of importance is that it runs on pump gas

I can't speak for Corvettes, but in convertible form, the Viper is rigid as hell... other than having no top, you would never be able to tell.

The V10 is so darn restricted in stock form, aftermarket upgrades(especially on the intake side of things) yield insane performance gains.

Plus, once you get into cars as fast as the Viper and Z06... I really doubt you would "feel" a difference in performance.

I'd buy a Viper solely on the fact that most people can't handle it... I know I sure as hell couldn't, but it would be one hell of a learning experience. That and I could perform all the service on it myself
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #30
Brandon2000
AF Newbie

yo yo this is the FACT
ZO6 out preforms the Viper in everything
the problem is that the Viper's rearend is a 3.06 and the ZO6 is a 3.42 or something close to that.

THATS IT!
Brandon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster