Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Steve J.
AF Newbie

1999 Town & Country fuel pump testing

Problem- '99 3.3 T&C went into limp mode. Now it cranks, good spark but no start. Code P0171, gauges are working. No gas or pressure in fuel rail. No momentary sound from fuel pump. Battery has 12.5v.
I squirted starter fluid into the throttle body, started up a few seconds. Now I want to check if I'm getting 12v at the fuel pump before replacing it. Do I have this correct:
There should be momentary 12v in the DBL- (dark blue?) wire from the Body Control Module at the fuel pump, key to run?
There should be 12v in the DGW- (dark green/white?) wire from the Fuel Pump Relay at the fuel pump when the engine starts on starter fluid?
99 Town & Country
Steve J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 1999 Town & Country fuel pump testing

You're batting 500. You've got the dark green/white tracer wire (pump pin 4) reading correct however, that dark blue wire (pump pin 3) is an output from fuel level sensor in the pump assembly TO the BCM. The BCM receives then conditions the signal and sends it on to the cluster to be displayed on the fuel gauge. The black wire (pin 1) is ground. All you need to be concerned with is pins 1 and 4 at the pump.

Just curious. If you remove the pump relay and jump contacts 30 and 87 together does the pump spin? Easiest way to check it. You're just bypassing the relay and sending power straight to the pump. Oh and you can leave your keys in your pocket. Contact 30 is always powered. If it spins you're done with the pump. If it doesn't you'll have to go back to your plan. Woops. Check 20amp fuse #16 first.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Steve J.
AF Newbie

The fuse is good. Jumpered #30 to #87- no joy. Replaced the relay anyway so I have a spare of that size. Today I bought a pump and filter. Removed the LR inner fender panel and I'm siphoning the gas out through some 3/16 plastic tubing.
99 Town & Country
Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Steve J.
AF Newbie

Started right up after I replaced the pump and filter. I used a Napa rotary type pump, very quiet. Can't hear it at all. Thanks for your help.
99 Town & Country

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager