Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
moresnow
AF Newbie

98 Tahoe inconsistent non-start? ARGHH!!!

First Post for me. Here's the story. On occasion the truck will just decide not to start. Motor turns over fine, good spark, seems to be getting fuel (according to the mechanic who has been trying to diagnose). Replaced Passkey mod? Runs and starts fine for a few month's then bam, dead in the water! Usually has started fine then after driving for a short time or long trip you turn it off and it won't restart? Waiting a few hours has seemed to let it start again. Now it lies in my drive and won't start (spins fine). Had a bullit proof '95. Wish I had never bought this one! Ah yes the radio works only when it feels up to it also.
moresnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
95silverado
AF Newbie

Check your fuel pressure. It has to be 60 psi or more, or it won't start. If it is less than that, it probably a fuel pump, or pressure regulator.
95silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
moresnow
AF Newbie

Re: 98 Tahoe inconsistent non-start? ARGHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95silverado
Check your fuel pressure. It has to be 60 psi or more, or it won't start. If it is less than that, it probably a fuel pump, or pressure regulator.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check the pressure. Guess I am stumped on this one. I had thought that a pump would just quit and that was that. As I review some of the other posts I am starting to wonder if maybe my pump has been giving me fits since the first incident? Pulling the tank really does not look that difficult.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
moresnow
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 Tahoe inconsistent non-start? ARGHH!!!

Another question. When turning the ignition key forward I get a clickty clickty sound from the dash near your left knee? Always has done this but I don't recall hearing this in friends Chevy's? Just does it for a second then stops and I turn the key beyond to fire the starter? Turning the key halfway on gets me no pump sound now. Was thinking that I used to be able to hear the pump engage.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
95silverado
AF Newbie

I don't know about the click sound. If it turns out to be your fuel pump, replace it with an original equipment pump. The aftermarket pumps don't last, and make sure you never let the tank drop below 1/4 full. The pump is cooled and lubricated by gas, so if you let the level drop to low the pump will go bad.
95silverado is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K