Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
mechhound
AF Regular

Can't get pitman arm off of sector shaft

I removed the steering gear box from my '94 F-150 4X4 to put a seal kit in it. I can't pull the pitman arm off. I removed the nut and lock washer holding it on. I put a locking 2 jaw puller on it and literally beat on the puller bolt with a sledge hammer. I even repositioned the puller a couple times and repeated pounding. It won't budge. I can't see any way to put it in a press. What's the trick to getting it off? Thanks in advance.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
unclebubbles
AF Regular

Re: Can't get pitman arm off of sector shaft

They can be a booger sometimes, heres a few tricks to try. With the puller attached and tight, hold the sledge hammer on top of the arm, as close to the sector as you can, and push down. Now hit the end of the puller with another hammer, this keeps the movement of the shaft from absorbing all the shock of the blow. (easier with some help) Also with puller attached, jack vehicle up a little , and with good solid blocks( a piece of plate on the ground, iron pipe, plate on top works best) lower the weight of vehicle down so puller touches blocks. Working from the top, With iron rod on top of arm as close to sector as you can, drive off from top. (not possible on some because of location of sector) There are also tools like ball joint seperators , that wedge between the arm and sector. Drive it in good and tight and with nut on shaft to protect the threads, with sledge on top again, hit end of shaft . If all else fails, use a real torch(not the little propane torches) to heat the arm as quickly as possible, and use with one of the above methods. If it doesnt come then, somebodys welded it. haha There are special pullers for this that you may be able to rent, but all of these shade tree methods work. Good luck.
Later
Ed
unclebubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
mechhound
AF Regular

Re: Can't get pitman arm off of sector shaft

Thanks for the reply Ed. I took the gearbox(removed from vehicle) to a welding shop. first they tried removing the arm with an air chisel, blunt attachment on it of course, nope. Heated it and tried the air chisel again, nope. Heated it again and put it in water, air chisel again, finally it came loose. Thanks again for the reply Ed, I wil keep your suggestions in mind for next time.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series