Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
pjw73nh
AF Regular

2000 Venture "buzzing" wheel bearing ?

2000 Venture short wheelbase 122k miles. Original owner from brand new. Has had fuel pump replaced at 40K, intake manifold replaced and full trans (torque converter inclusive) flush, plugs and wires at 75K. (2005) All fluids checked regularly.

Recent problem. Noticed a "grinding/buzzing" sound when traveling above 25 mph. Sound is commensurate with veh speed (not engine speed). If I turn the wheel ever so slightly to the right, the sound "deepens"/gets louder), and I can feel the buzzing in the steering wheel. When I release from turning right, or turn left, the buzzing greatly decreases (though I still hear it), and I can no longer feel it in the steering wheel. I only feel it when I turn the wheel to the right, even just a few degrees.

My thoughts on the culprit (in no particular order): Wheel bearing, Transaxle/final drive (differential). ???????

Wheel bearings:
No work done on front wheels/hubs. I did rotors and brake pads in April 2009 (115K). Visual inspection of all of the under car and front end. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

Transaxle/Diffierential: Who knows? I have had other vehicles with a normal differential/rear end, that had a bad bearing and I could usually tell which side, just by driving/turning Usually it was an outer bearing (wheel), not an axle bearing (diff).

Observations:
1..Periodically over the last 2-3 years or so, I have had to add about a 8-12 oz of coolant to the overflow every 8 mos or so. I don't know where it goes. I presume it is evaporating somewhere or VERY slowly leaking. Nothing external that can be visually noticed.

2.. Last week I checked the trans fluid. Was off the stick. Had to add 3 qts Dexron VI to bring it to full mark on stick. First two qts. barely registered on the stick. Prior to that last check was at 118k (5 k ago) and June of 2009. My written notes at the time mention "Normal. Didn't smell or look burnt, and no particulate matter in the fluid". Has been a week and the fluid level is still holding fine. Where did the 3 quarts go ???

3.. Opened radiator cap. No sludge or "strawberry milkshake" evidence of trans fluid. Looks fairly clear and orange. About what I would expect for a veh of this age and mileage. All lines to and from trans and radiator look ok. No evidence of leaking ANYWHERE.

4. Runs an normal temps throughout the year

5. Shifts fine with no slipping, clunking, grinding (during shifting).

6. Overall vehicle runs, shifts, handles, and stops well.

7. Every few weeks the ABS light comes on and then goes out after the next start.

Anyone ever see or hear this type of noise before?

If it's a wheel bearing (and I am leaning that way) How can I determine which side I need to replace? If I turn right, I "load" the left one. Noise gets louder. If I turn left, I "load" the right one. Given the above symtoms should I presume the left one?

Tnx
pjw73nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
pjw73nh
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Venture "buzzing" wheel bearing ?

OK. Did some more reading/ searching. I am convinced it is the left front wheel bearing.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
pjw73nh
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Venture "buzzing" wheel bearing ? ATF Usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw73nh View Post
Observations:
1..Periodically over the last 2-3 years or so, I have had to add about a 8-12 oz of coolant to the overflow every 8 mos or so. I don't know where it goes. I presume it is evaporating somewhere or VERY slowly leaking. Nothing external that can be visually noticed.

2.. Last week I checked the trans fluid. Was off the stick. Had to add 3 qts Dexron VI to bring it to full mark on stick. First two qts. barely registered on the stick. Prior to that last check was at 118k (5 k ago) and June of 2009. My written notes at the time mention "Normal. Didn't smell or look burnt, and no particulate matter in the fluid". Has been a week and the fluid level is still holding fine. Where did the 3 quarts go ???

3.. Opened radiator cap. No sludge or "strawberry milkshake" evidence of trans fluid. Looks fairly clear and orange. About what I would expect for a veh of this age and mileage. All lines to and from trans and radiator look ok. No evidence of leaking ANYWHERE.

4. Runs an normal temps throughout the year
Ok, The wheel bearing issue aside, Where did my 3 qts of ATF go? To add a little more info to this... I had no visible signs of ATF leakage. The undercarriage of the van is dry. A Little shmutz on the oil pan maybe but nothing significant. The mystery still stands.

Tnx
Old 11-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
97Venture_Chick
AF Newbie

I have the same sort of issue. Except its more of a humming I get that does not have to do with the engine. I went and got an alignment a while ago, but they told me that the alignment would not do much because my front hubs need to be replaced. The hum does not get louder making right or left turns. Even around town (25 mph and up) I hear the hum. I don't know if it helps at all. But thats my issue. Btw...I have a 97 venture.
97Venture_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

I'm having the same issue. I think it's the diff, but why/how?!

I jacked up the pass side wheel, with the van in drive it would humm.
I put it on a stand and jacked up the other side, the hum went away....
Turning the wheels while they spun made no difference, it was only when one wheel spun faster than the other.

Is the diff replaceable without pulling the trans?
Is there a common problem i don't know about?
Any other theories?

The hum is really loud on the highway.
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
pjw73nh
AF Regular

Thumbs down Re: 2000 Venture "buzzing" wheel bearing ?

My lone experience with this issue was as I posted. I don't think you can accurately diagnose the issue with the wheels "unloaded". IE off the ground.

First be sure to rule out tires. (rotate them (back to front/front to back if you are suspect.) If the symptoms do not change I have two suggestions for wheel bearing diagnosis:

1. Drive the vehicle on clean straight pavement at around 30-45 mph. Slowly apply a left turn (less pressure than a lane change). If the buzzing gets louder, then the right wheel bearing as the bad one.

If you turn right and hear the noise, then the left (drivers) wheel bearing is bad.

2.There are some great videos with sound on youtube. Search for wheel bearing replacement chevy of words of the such. They have great sound and you will know in 20 seconds if that is your problem. Also, they are a few that actually show the repair, but I think you will find my write up a little easier to follow. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...=968964&page=2 Good luck...

Last edited by pjw73nh; 12-09-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added link tp images
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
EvilGrogg
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 2000 Venture "buzzing" wheel bearing ?

Have a 01 Venture with the same issue. Thanks for the Diag procedure. Kinda thought it was the front drivers bearing. Have a donor 98 Transport that has a cancer issue and is no longer platable but does have good bearings that will work for now. Not sure if I want to keep my Venture much longer. Kinda hard on fuel but love the enclosed cargo space. Cheers.

This site has once again saved my alot of trouble shooting.

EvilGrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
lesterl
AF Regular

www.rockauto.com for pretty cheap parts.

I bought a Chineese WB off Ebay for $30 shipped, have put nearly 5k on it and it works just fine.....
lesterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Seen lots of problems with aftermarket wheel bearings......don't seem to last a year....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
lesterl
AF Regular

Yeah, well if the van had less than 250k on it and was worth more than a grand I would have bought a Timken or an OEM to replace it.....
lesterl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bearing , buzzing , grinding , noise , wheel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture