Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #76
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Re: Recap of the American F1 fleet

Perhaps these pics were taken at the time the car was there?

What was the timeframe of those pics in Le Man's thread v these ones?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #77
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

The beautiful chassis #036 was spotted in Houston about 10 days ago:

Photographer mentioned it was running a Texas plate at the rear now.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #78
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

...and back in April it was spotted at Ferrari of Houston. Beautiful shots of a beautiful F1.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #79
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

That last shot
Old 06-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #80
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Amazing that this has been on the web since August 2005 and I've only now tripped over it. A group of motorcyclists from the UK on an amazing trip from Alaska to Argentina came across something quite special in Utah. Here are the good parts:

Quote:
So we decided to leave at 7:30am to get a good start.

On the way there we were followed by an orange sports car which when it overtook I saw was a McLaren F1 LM (only 6 of these were made).

It disappeared but a few miles later we caught it up as it was slowing and turning off the road. So we followed it into a ranch. As we both stopped, a guy jumped out and asked us to leave but we told him it was rare to see a car like this, even in the UK and as we were from the UK and that I had a friend with an F1 could we have a chat. When he heard that I knew someone in Europe with one the owner stepped out of the car and started chatting. It was Ralph Lauren. We had a great chat and I told him that I had worked on some of his cars in the UK. He was very interested in our trip and said that his wife would never let him take 5 months off work!

He showed us some of his cars, another McLaren F1, a Porsche GT, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona Spyder, a RUF Porsche and a matt black VW Camper!

It was surreal time and we parted with him asking if I could get in touch to see if I could help if he wanted to bring a car to the Nurburgring.

We were there for 45 minutes.

Quite an amazing encouter and a great set of shots. The silver F1 is #074 in case anyone was unsure.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #81
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

NICE!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #82
jkbon
AF Regular

It must be something to see a LM on the road, but It must be a shock to see the driver wearing such clothes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #83
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
It's about time this thread got bumped, so can anyone tell me which F1 this is? Pictures taken at Club Sportiva in San Jose recently
According to a frequent source, that is XP4 hiding under the car cover.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #84
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

I said i didn't think it was silver
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #85
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #86
Mpowered
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
The beautiful chassis #036 was spotted in Houston about 10 days ago:

Photographer mentioned it was running a Texas plate at the rear now.

>8^)
ER
There's still hope for me. Never seen one in person, but if there is one in Houston, I might still get a chance. I'll have to watch some of the car shows around to see if it pops up. It'd be the ultimate treat. Kind of a reason to carry the camera around all of the time in the future. A couple of years ago, I drove right by the dealership on the way home from work, but no longer work in that area. Would most definitely go OUT of my way to get a glimpse. Thanks for the head-up.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #87
astonmartindbs001
Aeolus DawnWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
Amazing that this has been on the web since August 2005 and I've only now tripped over it. A group of motorcyclists from the UK on an amazing trip from Alaska to Argentina came across something quite special in Utah. Here are the good parts:

Quite an amazing encouter and a great set of shots. The silver F1 is #074 in case anyone was unsure.

>8^)
ER

I can just feel that F1 LM cringing in embarassment and thinking to itself and the world at large, "Damn, I can't believe that this rich whack-ass is my owner. This is so bloody embarassing. He's supposed to be a master of high fashion, and yet look at his dressing: bright orange jacket, baby blue T-shirt and a pair of cheap-looking grey sweatpants. A mid-life crisis if ever I saw one. And, dear God, blue shoes with BRIGHT YELLOW laces? He looks like a bloody poor beggar off the downtown streets. And that hair, ugh, it just reminds me of that maniac Dr. Emmett Brown and his DeLorean Time Machine, which of course I'd smoke in an eye-blink. 0-88MPH in 10 seconds? Pah! I do 0-100MPH in 5.5 seconds! Seriously, Ralphie, a pair of nice slim-cut jeans wouldn't go amiss. Oh, sorry, I forgot, you wouldn't look good in well-fitting clothes with that oversized belly. Not to mention that your whole body weight seriously compromises my Power-to-Weight Ratio. I don't think you'll be seeing any 2.9 second 0-100Km/h sprints any time soon, old man. You probably don't even have the skills to pull that off with me.

Now, if Michael Schumacher was my driver on the other hand, or perhaps even Andy Wallace........ NOW we're talking major raping off the ass of every other supercar out there, except maybe 1 or 2. I just need to sneak myself onto a plane back to Europe, and soon........"

If cars could talk........

PS: Sorry if I offend anyone, but after seeing this picture I just couldn't help myself.
astonmartindbs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #88
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonmartindbs001 View Post
I can just feel that F1 LM cringing in embarassment and thinking to itself and the world at large, "Damn, I can't believe that this rich whack-ass is my owner. This is so bloody embarassing. He's supposed to be a master of high fashion, and yet look at his dressing: bright orange jacket, baby blue T-shirt and a pair of cheap-looking grey sweatpants. A mid-life crisis if ever I saw one. And, dear God, blue shoes with BRIGHT YELLOW laces? He looks like a bloody poor beggar off the downtown streets. And that hair, ugh, it just reminds me of that maniac Dr. Emmett Brown and his DeLorean Time Machine, which of course I'd smoke in an eye-blink. 0-88MPH in 10 seconds? Pah! I do 0-100MPH in 5.5 seconds! Seriously, Ralphie, a pair of nice slim-cut jeans wouldn't go amiss. Oh, sorry, I forgot, you wouldn't look good in well-fitting clothes with that oversized belly. Not to mention that your whole body weight seriously compromises my Power-to-Weight Ratio. I don't think you'll be seeing any 2.9 second 0-100Km/h sprints any time soon, old man. You probably don't even have the skills to pull that off with me.
Tell me you're being sarcastic?

Do you know who Ralph Lauren is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Lauren
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #89
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Doesn't read like sarcasm to me, and this comment implies that he certainly knows who he was spouting off about.

"He's supposed to be a master of high fashion..."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I guess.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #90
astonmartindbs001
Aeolus DawnWalker

Of course I know who Ralph Lauren is: owner of PRL, multi-billionaire, and crazy car collector who in addition to #055, #074 and LM3, has 2 of every other car in his collection so that his sons won't fight over them when he's dead. Wonder what they did in a past life to deserve this kind of karma, then.

I'd also guess that Mr. Lauren doesn't have the driving skills of people like Andy Wallace, Ray Bellm or Thomas Bscher, for instance, which he'd definitely need to take LM3 to it's limits on a regular basis. I find it very ironic that most real racers with real skills often have very normal road cars, generally they don't have any true high performance supercars (with Bellm and Bscher being 2 of a few noteworthy exceptions), whereas most of the people who do own such supercars often don't have the skills needed to utilize their prodigious performance capabilities. Do any of you see Ralph Lauren setting a new Nordschleife production car lap record with LM3, for instance? No, at least for now.

Guess I'm just one of those people who feel that any supercar is being wasted unless it's being used and thraped hard and fast every day. In my opinion, garage queening, pussy-footing or, God forbid, 'preserving' any kind of car like an F1 LM should be a punishable sin. That's why I respect Mr. Bscher, he of the '200MPH drives to work in a McLaren F1' high-jinks.

I just sincerely hope that no more F1s end up like that American one whose engine spontaneously combusted when it was fired up after 6 bloody months of non-running 'winter storage'. Of course, the biggest perpretrator of such crimes would be the Sultan of Brunei. At the very least Mr. Lauren does take LM3 out for a drive once in a while.

Thanks for a great post though, Peloton. The pictures are great, and they bring my F1 LM file to a total of 609 pictures.

Last edited by astonmartindbs001; 06-23-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Add something
astonmartindbs001 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1