Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker
Micromark Lathe & Mill's

I was wondering if anyone has any experience w/ the Micromark Lathe & Mill?

I was looking at them, and they looked pretty good to me from a visual standpoint.

The one thing that I really liked, is how rigid they appear to be. Ive looked at the Sherline lathes & mills, and they dont appear to be nearly as rigid as whats offered by Micromark.

What I plan on doing eventually, is to purchase both a manual lathe, and a manual mill, and eventually convert them both to CNC operation. At this point I havent decided what I will get, as that will be way down the road. Right now I dont have the room, or the money, to get either. Im just trying to decide what I want to get at this point.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Re: Micromark Lathe & Mill's

Adam, I've been exactly where you're at. I struggled quite a bit to make my decision, and the people here were very helpful (and open minded) with guiding me towards info that I used to make my decision.

I originally decided on the Micromark equipment, and ended up changing my mind and buying Sherline. I am very happy with the Sherline equip. For me the factors were:

Micromark:
+ more capacity and rigidity (as you note)... just seems more robust and able to do more/bigger stuff. One never knows when I'll need to lathe up something big!!
- import costs (I'm in Canada)
- shipping costs
- weight (not really portable)

Sherline:
+ portability. I have it beside my workbench, and just move it up/down whenever I want to use it. I know now that I would have been frustrated going upstairs/outside to the garage everytime I wanted to machine something...
+ accessories
- capacity (although this is misleading. This little monster is a lot more powerful and capable than it looks.)
- cost (for you, I expect the cost of the Sherline will be more, but for me, they were about the same)

There's lots more factors, but those are the ones that guided my decision. My money, therefore, my decision. There's all sorts of debates all over other forums about what's better, but as long as you're machining, and your happy, then you will be fine. Regardless of the choice, there are LOTS of online users of both brands/styles that you should easily be able to connect with others for tips/tricks on things.

Also, check out Taig. I've read quite a bit about them, and they are worth consideration. Similar size to Sherline, but less $.

Let me be clear though.... I'm a major beginner in all of this stuff, so there are others here that will give you far better and more thorough advice than I. I just found your post interesting, because it captured my same ideas/thoughts from several months ago...

Check the other threads here, there are lots of links and threads with things that will help you make your decision.

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
TRBJ
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to TRBJ Send a message via Skype™ to TRBJ

what about proxxon? i can only manage to find proxxon brand in my area.. is it any good?
TRBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
cyberkid
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBJ
what about proxxon? i can only manage to find proxxon brand in my area.. is it any good?
If they're good or not I can't tell you. From the price and accessory point of view:
They cost around 2 times a sherline model would and they don't have many accessories...
Sherline offers packages that include many basic tools, add-ons that will save you quite a bit...
I'm not sure on other brands but after thinking about these brands for a while I decided that I will buy Sherline when the time comes....(Soon, I hope.)

Overall view of Proxxon products, IE rotary tools, small wood work tools.
Very well made, extremely overpriced. But they do seem to be quite a popular brand here in Taiwan.
NEW TO THE AF MODELLING FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
AF Car Modeling Tutorial, How-To and Product Review Depository
AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] - * Look here first! * ver2.0
And finally,I wish you all happy modeling
cyberkid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools