Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Introduce yourself!

Welcome to the AF Machine Tools forum.

Many of us here are regulars in the model car section, who use machine tools and techniques to make parts to supplement scale car models. But of course any automotive machining discussions are welcome here. So whether you're making stuff on small machines for scale models, or making parts for full size cars on full size gear, tell us a bit about yourself.

Who are you? What's your experience? What kind of equipment do you own/have access to, or have used before? What do you like to make- scale, full size, or even non-automotive related? And if you don't (yet) do machining, feel free to say 'hi' also- and let us know what you're interests are.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hey Andy

I've done turning in the past and some basic milling, seeing some of the models being turned out of late by our folks with mills and lathes has got me itching to get back to the machine shop

If time and finance allows, I may join the machining crowd
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Thanks Andy,

My name is Mike and I'm an alco....sorry wrong forum. I have a Taig lathe that I received about a year ago. I use it for my hobby which is scale modeling. I have made several pieces over the last year that I am very proud of. I have a milling attachment for my lathe but is very limited in what I can do with it. Met many people through AF who have helped me out immensely in regards to machining and am hoping that I will meet more with the addition of this machining section.

Hopefully there will be tutorials added in this section too as I really have no idea if I am using the right tools at the right time. Also curious what everyone else is using to make certain items and the process that they go through.

Mike

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I'm Andy (obviously), and I'm a regular member in the Car Modeling section.

I've been machining for about ten years now. I started in university, getting checked out in the department shop for fabricating parts for astronomical telescopes. I had a couple of glorious years of access to several shops, consisting mostly of full size non-CNC Bridgeport mills and Southbend lathes. After graduating, I decided machine tooling was just something I couldn't live without. I invested in a set of Sherline gear. It's a big step down sizewise from what I learned on, but happily it's been entirely sufficient for my uses. My setup is a 'longbed' Sherline lathe with milling attachment and rotary table. Lately I use it largely for making parts for scale model cars, but I use it for other things occasionally also- such as making components for a flight simulator 'home cockpit'.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

It's ever fun heard few Mike's gags from the Raikonen mouth LOL, iceman kimi LOL

Ok I'm a big alcoh...LOL well switch to the lathe terapy (have you a finger more? an hear too much? a long nose? no probs, anythig would be cured by a good lathe.)

Guys you know me already, I'm gio. I do machined parts from a couple years or less, I guess I bought the mill and the late few month after I become member here.

I'm not so skilled but I'm creative and I have a good imagination so I'm able to do something also without any machining culture. Anyway guys like MPWR, Mike and the awesome jobs of Scalemaster and of the Nascar gang (Clay&Dave) helped a lot to improove the few I have and develop new ideas.

But at last machining stuff is extremely FUN to me: you'll imagine something , screw up a bit of alloy, and then see your creature DONE... amazing, I'm ever fashinated by this fact.

My next moves: years ago I ownd a CNC mill to do prototypes (from resin blocks or alu) but I trade with some pro software becouse it was unused, now that 3d printing is becoming human (speaking of costs) I'm looking forward (and around) to acquire something, but at last I need something with an excellent result without any manual job than.

I guess I'll also sell the mini-mill I own for something bigger.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

I'm Mike, and Im an alcoaholic (alcoa is another nickname for Alum ).

I think y'all pretty much know me. And if you dont, just ask. Im more than happy to answer...or just look at my site.

Happy machining!

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
rod_k2
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to rod_k2

Hi to all,I'm Rodolfo (strange,eh? []),I'm brazilian,and I drink milk...Oops!

As for milling,lathe and such,at the moment I am very curious,and hopefully,this section will make me buy a lathe or a mill. At the moment,I only own a dremel,but,since you guys make some awesome jobs with lathes/mills,i'm very curious to know how you guys do these things (since I know nothing on machining!)

"Oh noez,it has more stickers than me! And a wing too!

Last edited by rod_k2; 10-14-2007 at 04:30 AM.
rod_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys, I'm Dennis and I own a lathe since the beginning of the year. I never done machining before infact I'm a electronic technician so I normally ask if I need machined parts

I only machine parts for my models which I think some of you know

I got a mini lathe which is actually a hard start for a beginner since there is a lot of setup work to do. But after the first things were sorted out I got some good results and this is were the fun started. Next step would be a mill but I think it will take some time before I start thinking about that...

Last edited by Decs0105; 10-11-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
gulfclk
AF Regular

Hi,

I'm Tom and I'm modeling since I was 8 years old (35 years by now).

I've been out of static modeling for some years because I was busy with real racecars for most of the time. I've never been driving but I started my 'career' as a mechanic on rallycross Porsche 959 BiTurbo, Rally Metro 6R4, then onto the circuit with Porsches (964 Cup, 993 Cup, 993 GT2, Evo, ...) and as a race engineer on a Dodge Viper in FIA GT.

After that, it was time to get to the highest level of motorsport. I worked for 4 years in F1 as an engineer. Children and F1 don't go together, so ... you have to make a choice. Familya came first!

So, after that, I had time again to start modeling. During these years, I improved my skills on turning and milling and specially in F1, prototyping and hand modeling.

Since I quit F1 in 2003, I started super detailing. I bought about 4 months ago a Sherline lathe and stunned with its quality, I ordered the 8 axis mill as well.
gulfclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Hey everyone.

Murray Kish here, from Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Long time admirer of the machined stuff, so consider me more of a learner than anything. After seeing (in person) some of the stuff that mikemechanic cranked out on his Enzo (and the continuous onslaught of amazing builds on AF with machined parts), I broke down and invested in some Sherline equipment a couple of months ago. Haven't been able to do much with it yet (life is a bit busy these days, but hoping that the winter will allow for a bit more indoor time.)

I have the Sherline long bed lathe, milling column, and rotary table (similar to MPWR). Also other 'stuff' that goes with it, but I haven't been able to use much of it yet. Doing lots of reading and a bit of basic turning on the lathe, but haven't even installed the column or rotary table yet.

I get a bit confused about the various bits/tools and what to use, but am confident that a little experience and messing around will help me figure it all out.

Let the learning begin.

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
p9o1r1sche

Hi, everyone. My name is Ken Mouton, aka p9o1r1sche, from South Carolina. I've been building models since 1994 (the second time around), and machining stuff for about three years now. I make model parts and an occasional bicycle part on my equipment.

I have the infamous Chinese machines, a mini lathe and a micro mill, both from Harbor Fright. I was starting to become bored with modeling until I got the lathe and mill. Now I look forward to making my own parts, knowing they will make my models truly one-of-a-kind. I get +/- 0.001" accuracy using these machines, so they fullfil my needs for modeling very adequately. I also have a rotary table from Little Machine Shop, a bench grinder to make my own cutting tools, a belt sander, a drill press, and all sorts of other measuring and cutting tools. I also have a dedicated tool grinder, but its still in the box, as I have no space in the man-shed to set it up. I'll post some pics of my setup in the other thread soon.

I plan to document more of my machining works will post in this subforum.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
cyberkid
AF Enthusiast

Hi all, I'm Steve from Taiwan. Extremely interested in lathe and milling, but will be some time before I get any kind of setup.

Been in modeling on and off for around 15 years now, started when I was around 10.

Hoping to absorb a lot of knowledge here

Steve.
NEW TO THE AF MODELLING FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
AF Car Modeling Tutorial, How-To and Product Review Depository
AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] - * Look here first! * ver2.0
And finally,I wish you all happy modeling
cyberkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

I'm John Sullivan from London (some of you will know me already) and bravo for setting up this section which I'm sure will be great.

I've owned the ubiquitous Chinese lathe for about 18 months and have picked up some really bad habits already that work only too well for me - am I the only one that parts off alloy at 800rpm with a junior hacksaw by hand!

Hoping to dive into milling soon with another Chinese special and a tilting rotary table. First task will be directional tapered finned brake drums for my 1/8th scratchbuild - can't wait (really)

In the meanwhile I'm hoping to move house and rebuild the future man shed which will only add to the fun.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Slash.Snakepit
AF Regular

Hello to all at AF !!

My name is Luiz, 31 years old. I from Brazil (Brasil is how it should be written), I come to this forum almost every day and it was one that made me start modelling again, thanks a lot !!!

I was amazed by MPWR´s works, and not sure if it was here a guy by the nick ScaleMaster ...those are top of mind names don´t get jealous

Since I don´t have kids, mortgage or even a wife, money´s being transferred to modelling

And now I WANT A LATHE/MILL setup

Please, please, how-to´s, FAQ´s and et cetera...

Sorry for my poor english
Slash.Snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Hi Luiz, and welcome!

(Welcome to the rest of you guys, too. )

Glad you decided to join us. Don't worry too much about your English, you came across fine.

I'm sure you can tell our little corner of AF is new and growing quickly. Mike and I are working on the FAQ as quickly as we can, and there will be a gallery, how-to's & tutorials coming soon. But don't let our pace slow you down- if you have questions, feel free to ask!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools