Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 AM   #46
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
Not often I spot builds that looks so flawless on such close range. This rear wheel/swing arm set up is absolutely beautiful. Details added makes the build look really natural and you have no paint chipping at all that I can spot. Not even the rear tyre gives it away as a model kit. I'm absolutely stunned. My hat off.
Thanks Joel! I usually try to build everything with my magnifying glass so that I can see the flaws etc.
imster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #47
imster
AF Newbie

Finally I was able to get back on with this build!

I decided to tackle the front forks next, lots of extra details were added and a little bit of scratch building too. I did notice that if you use the detail up parts for the front fork, then at the top of the trees the shock adjusters dont fit correctly, its possible I wasnt mocking it all up correctly so could be just me. As a result of the headaches with the detail up parts I decided to use the kit suspension struts and do a little modification to enable me to use some of the detail up parts for this kit.

I sprayed the shock bodies a mix of Alclad Steel and Alclad Pale Burnt Metal (not sure of the ratios as I did this by judgement). The rest of the forks were painted with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. The tie wraps around the black covers were made with extra thin styrene sheet (0.13mm thick) cut into strips, in order to make them secure I drilled holes into the shock bodies to enable me to anchor the strips and put tension through them so they look more realistic.

I used epoxy for the front fender as it tends to be pretty flimsy where it glues to the front forks.

I also managed to install the chain, it was a bit of a challenge and I am glad that the chain was built strong otherwise it would have fallen apart after a few minutes of adjusting it to get it over the front and rear sprockets. I also weathered the chain slightly on the rollers.

On with the pictures!

Next up is to finish off the front forks, then move on to the handlebars and instrument panels, already I can see that there is lots of modifications required for the handlebars so the job is going to be a long one I think! I will also try to do a photo how to on the front end and how I modified parts etc.

Thanks for looking and as always C&C always appreciated
Old 02-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #48
imster
AF Newbie

Moving along and gaining pace! I need to get this build done soon, and still so much to do!!!

I completed the front brake calipers, I added the brake bleeders, brake line cable links, bolts and the line that runs between the two sides of the calipers (with blue anodised bolts)

I forgot to dust off the parts before the pics so apologies for all the dust!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #49
ixodeservice
AF Newbie

Realy great job my friend!!!! Let me ask you something. The plastic tank in front of the rear shock abrorber ,what color have you paint it? Thanks alot Elias..
ixodeservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #50
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Just a word to define this assembly, FANTASTIC . For sure I will use many of their techniques when riding my Honda .
Friend how do I get a mounting bracket like yours?

Sandro
SandroSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #51
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodeservice View Post
Realy great job my friend!!!! Let me ask you something. The plastic tank in front of the rear shock abrorber ,what color have you paint it? Thanks alot Elias..
Hi Elias, thank you for your kind comments

That part is already that colour in the kit. All I did was roughen the surface a bit with 1k sandpaper to dull the shine
Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #52
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandroSilva View Post
Just a word to define this assembly, FANTASTIC . For sure I will use many of their techniques when riding my Honda .
Friend how do I get a mounting bracket like yours?

Sandro
Hi Sandro, thank you so much for your praise!

A few years ago I was surfing the web when I came across one of your builds on Modellisimo (SP) forums. It motivated me to get back into building model kits again, so I have to thank you for rekindling my enjoyment of this hobby

The mounting bracket is built by a friend of mine who also builds 1/12 motorbikes, I will PM you his details
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #53
imster
AF Newbie

Not long left to do before I can call this build finished!

So I have 99% completed the front end.

The brake calipers were completed and the brake cables were made from braided metal wire wrapped with spiral tubing, this combination is great but it makes the whole thing very stiff and not great for curves etc, so I heated it slightly and bent it to keep the shape. As a result of this stiffness I changed the connector on the caliper to a 45 degree one rather than 90 degree to make the stress on the parts easier.

The electronic box that sits underneath the speedo was pretty heavily modified and very fiddly to work with! in hindsight I should have cut off the front frame section from where the steering tube is so it would have allowed me to work on the speedo and electronics box much easier. Nevertheless I managed to complete it and I am quite happy with how it came out. As for reference pics, I couldnt find very much showing the wiring routing so some logical thinking was used to try to figure out the wiring paths.

The speedo was completed with use of reference pics, the back end was modified a fair bit to what the reference pics showed, on the front end I used epoxy to mimic glass on top of the dials, it came out well but possibly next time I will use more epoxy to give it more of a deeper glass look.

The grips and handle section were heavily modified. On the right hand side the way Tamiya have routed all the wiring is wrong in some parts and simplistic in other parts. I first cut off the throttle cable housing and turned it 90 degrees so that one side is on top of the brake lever and the other side is below the brake lever as shown in my reference pics. I then got rid of the Tamiya brake fluid resevoir connector and made the correct part out of 0.8mm solder wire. On the left hand side I got rid of the kit clutch adjuster and replaced it with turned metal parts, I also added the adjuster lock and changed the push button next to the grip, to a metal turned button. I gave a little varnish to the brake levers on both sides to add some shine as the reference shows that the brake levers are shinier than the rest of the handle controls. I also added lots of PE and bolts to add to the realism.

To finish off the front end I will be painting the middle sections of the blue bolts on the front forks a bright silver rather than the black that they are in the pics.

Really sorry about the dusty pics once again, sometimes I get carried away and only realise once the pics are on the computer that they are full of dust!

Next up will be to attach the gas tank and then just the finishing touches!

Thanks for watching!
Old 02-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #54
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Superb job, looks like the real bike, awesome.!!
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #55
ixodeservice
AF Newbie

That's a great job Immy!!!
Love the blue anodised bridge clamps screw heads!!!How do you make them?Are you paint them clear blue over silver or chrome paint??

Ceep on my friend!!

Last edited by ixodeservice; 02-16-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #56
imster
AF Newbie

Thanks Steve and Ixo.

As for the blue anodised bolts, I used metal turned bolts, soaked in airbrush cleaner for a couple of minutes, then once dried I brush painted on Mr. Metal Primer. Once that was dried I airbrushed them with Alclad Transparent Blue. If you want a lighter shade of blue then you could also use Alclad Hot Metal Blue which is also transparent.

Lemme know if you have any more questions
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #57
imster
AF Newbie

Well its finally finished!! It took a lot longer than expected because of a little holiday halfway through when a few of my family came to enjoy the great Australian summer []

I still need to finalise how I will display the cowlings, currently erring towards having it hanging above the bike like at the Honda Museum, once I do that I will update this with some more pics.

I hope you all enjoyed this WIP, probably didnt go through a lot of the detail work and how I did some of the components, mainly due to limited time on the bench. I am very pleased with the outcome and I can really recommend this kit to modellers who enjoy a little challenge.

Detail Up Sets Used:
Hobby Design Detail Up Set
Top Studio Clutch Set
Top Studio Steering Damper
Top Studio Chain Set

Decals:
Tamiya Kit Decals
Tabu Option Decal (for the Michelin logo on the rear swingarm)

Nuts and Bolts:
Various T2M, Top Studio and RB Motion

Wiring and Cables:
T2M, MFH, Tamiya Kit Tubing and Sakatsu Solder Wire

Paint:
Alclad Metalizers (Frame, and Components)
Tamiya Semi Gloss Black TS-29 Decanted (Engine, Front Uprights, Wheel Rims)
Alclad Grey Primer
Zero Paints Honda NSR500 '84 Red and White (Cowlings)
Tamiya TS15 Blue (Cowlings)
Zero Paints 2K Clear

Some things to keep in mind when building this kit:
- Do not use the blue decals for the cowlings, they are difficult to work with and you will not achieve a good finish on it like if it were painted, the correct colour which is pretty much an exact match to the decals is Tamiya TS-15.
- I found on my kit that the exhaust ends where they join with the cans were a little short, luckily I mocked it all up and was able to fix that problem.
- I found also on my kit that there was a large gap on the right hand side of the bike on the lower section of the radiator where it connects to the pipe, if you look closely on my photos you will see I wedged a some black painted styrene to fill the gap as I didnt mock this part up and it was too late to fix it properly at that point []
- If you want to ensure that the main parts of the bike are true to the real bike then you need to adjust the throttle cables section on the right hand side grip, they need to be turned 90 degrees to mimick the 1:1 version
- Do not use the Top Studio Shift Linkage for the Honda NSR500 (TD23037) it is incorrect for this NSR500 version and is probably designed for the later versions.
- The Top Studio NSR500 Clutch Set (TD23147) is also incorrect but if you look at my build you can see that it can be modified to work .
- The Top Studio Steering Damper (TD23148) is incorrect as well but once again if you look at my build you will see I used some parts on my build.

I think that covers it all, I guess all thats left is for me to thank all of you for your comments, suggestions, and support!

Now the final pics

Detail pics:

And here are the cowlings completed, they will not be displayed for the time being until I figure out how to hang them convincingly!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #58
ChristopheB
AF Enthusiast

Magnificent work! Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

ChristopheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #59
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Really excellent work Imster

Your skills and attention to details have improved so much since your earlier builds.
Additionally your descriptions of your work are excellent and I definitely like the summary at the end like in your above posting.

I learned much from you on this build - thanks very much for sharing

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #60
ixodeservice
AF Newbie

Very nice and clean work Immy!!
Congrats!!!
Just one thing...the safety wires on the grips look a bit bigger to scale...
Allways friendly!!
Ceep on!!

Elias

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1/12 , 1984 , honda , nsr500 , tamiya
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes