Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
obl4k
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to obl4k
Need help with new tools

Hello all

I've been following the forums a long time, didnt post builds, dont know why... Anyway, last few months i've been making my corner->workshop (atm more of a modeling room =)). This tools have been passed down to me from my grandfather who passed away some time ago, but the place where he had his workshop (that was much bigger than the one i have now) was renovated just now. He had many, many tools as it will be seen from the pictures, but he passed away before i had an interest in models and such (i was also too young than). I dont really have anyone to tell me this stuff, even tough im a good self learner (I do know the basics of lathe and mill too =)) But i still need some advice.

The mill is barely visible.. Anyway the ''holder'' for the items to be milled is a strange one, will take a closer picture, but is meant for tubes etc. My question is which holder would be best for miling, i plan to do modeling items, and also some for maybe home improvement etc.

The lathe also bothers me with few things. First of all is if i should buy some more accessories for it, and which- i havent sorted the tools yet, but i guess there are quite many knives or how is it said. Another thing is the...I do not know the word, the thing above the rails etc, which is probably meant to put a mill head on, and than work with that, but i havent found any head that is compatible with that one, do you know any good or similar that i could buy/use, and is that thing even useful or should i demount it, and use only the mill for that jobs?

Also if anyone knows a page with videos or writen instructions on how to work with lathe etc it would be much apprecited =)

This is the room:

btw its still in work, many things to be done/bought etc. =)
obl4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: Need help with new tools

That is a nice little lathe/mill!
I have one that looks identical to it(tho mines smaller), I dont think I have a manual for it tho.

Good for plastic , you can turn brass, though I would not try steal unless you have the correct cutters.

Looks like you have a nice space to work in!
Have you tried googling the lathe to find any web sites with instructions or help setting it up ?

I just played around with mine untill I figured it out. Havnt used it for much, just made some brass bolts w/threads.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Welcome to AF!

Some close pictures of your lathe and mill would help. It's hard to tell what you have and what you need from across the room.

A milling vise is the easiest way to hold pieces being worked on.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Yeah better pics would help.
I was looking at mine and noticed its made in Austria by Maier & Co.

A milling vise wouldnt be to expensive for that table top model either.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
obl4k
AF Newbie

So here are the pics:

i tried to do my own lathe knife or how's it called today, but the sanding disc broke half way there....

Anyway im having few troubles, first is that the place where i mount the lathe knife i think has a bit of an angle, which results in...angled cuting(?)

Another thing is that all the knifes etc. mounted are a bit low, so i cant really do 1:43 parts :S

For the manual, which im searching for, i havent found i on the internet (i guess my grandfather threw it away or smth), the only thing i found was 34€ or something on ebay....
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
its not unusual
AF Newbie

its not unusual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by obl4k
i tried to do my own lathe knife or how's it called today, but the sanding disc broke half way there...

Anyway im having few troubles, first is that the place where i mount the lathe knife i think has a bit of an angle, which results in...angled cuting(?)

Another thing is that all the knifes etc. mounted are a bit low, so i cant really do 1:43 parts :S

For the manual, which im searching for, i havent found i on the internet (i guess my grandfather threw it away or smth), the only thing i found was 34€ or something on ebay....
You will need something that is tough enough to sand/grind those carbide cutters(knives), they are a lot harder then steel.

You do want your cutter to be at a slight angle, depending on what you are turning inside or out.
To adjust the cutter you'll need to mount it higher/lower with a block, as the one with the machine bolts in your 4th pic.

To bad that buellstrunz site isnt in english.

Wow, Here is a link to all thier Emco PDFs. Thats cool because I didnt have a manual for my Compact 5, thankx its not unusual !
http://www.buellstrunz.at/default.as...etSplit&Link=3
Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
obl4k
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by its not unusual
I cant thank you enough i really cant =) TY!

BTW, sounds unusual, but in my youth, when i was 5-9 i think, i watched german cartoons, like dragonball every day result-> Can read/speak german very good (the writing is....horrible :P)

ty for all the help =)
Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

But Dragonball is Japanese....
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
obl4k
AF Newbie

germans sync it >.<
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

If you want to sharpen carbide tool bits (not called knives!) you need a "green wheel" which is for carbide only. If you need to cut back the steel first, a regular grinding wheel will be fine.

Do yourself a big favor, go to the book store and buy a book on basic machining, this will be a big help.

I like the set up on the lathe, the 4-sided turret is a great asset and looks like it'll accept a 5/16 or 3/8 tool.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
peter08
AF Newbie

Beautiful little shop you have going there obl4k!
peter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
obl4k
AF Newbie

Hello again, im now buying the tool bits, but im not sure which would be best for 1/43 parts, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm +? Can anyone tell/suggest me what to choose?

bye =)
Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Wow...you've inherited some excellent quality equipment there.

Tool sizes don't matter too much as you are only interested in the cutting point. If you are grinding your own tools then the smaller the better as you have less metal to grind! Go for 6mm or the smallest size possible for boring bars as they need to be narrow if you need to bore holes (to make rims for wheels etc. The bigger tools are too fat and the backside of the cutting tip head grinds on your work.

I'd also suggest getting a diamond grinding wheel to sharpen the tools you already have. I've just thinned down a parting off tool (just like the one in the black holder in your pics) to about 1mm wide on a diamond wheel. This tool then allows you to make very narrow grooves and shoulders which is ideal for 1/43 items. With the diamond wheel just sit there and very gently grind way without the tool getting hot. It's actually a very quiet operation and quite therapeutic!

Good luck
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools