Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
franski64
AF Newbie

1995 Chrysler Cirrus tranny shifting into 2nd

I have seen this problem with the automatic transmissions on other forums and it seems to be common, except nobody has ever posted a "for sure" solution. Apparently, when the module senses a transmission problem it puts the transmission into 2nd gear no matter what speed you are going. Our car has even gone into "neutral" at 65mph. The speed sensors have been changed (input twice.) Now the transmission expert wants to replace the TCM (trans. control module.) People have stated that this does not fix the problem either, but again , nobody has ever posted a solution to this 95 Cirrus problem that had definately repaired the problem. Has anybody had it fixed?
franski64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
franski64
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus tranny shifting into 2nd

By the way, some people call this "limp mode", if you stop and shut off the motor, it will usually go back to normal.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
mmk14
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mmk14
I had this problem with my 95 LXI 2.5. The problem was the 'brain' for the trans. Once it was replaced and the brain was reset by a trans shop it was fine. If there is any doubt, take it to a trans shop and have them read the faults on the trans.
mmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
franski64
AF Newbie

The transmission shop read the codes and it said the car had a bad input sensor, which was changed twice. Now, there are no codes showing but the "limp mode" still happens. Is the transmission "brain" the Transmission Control Module?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Go back to your Chrysler dealer and request for your transmission control module to be flashed. What that does is update the operating parameters of the transmission module. It should cost no more than $60 or so to do that, much cheaper than buying and programming a new module.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
jabby_jabby
AF Enthusiast

"limp home mode" to be exact. Mine did it. It never did get fixed, I just bought a new car.
jabby_jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
cma
AF Newbie

Possible fix for limp home

My son and daughter in-law are having this same problem. Dealer replaced solenoids, two other shops tried too. Chrysler has a Technical Service Bulletin out (21-15-95) that implies that maybe the Accumulator need to be rebuilt (new seals and piston). They don't cost much, but labor might add a bit (2 hours?). The error codes indicate a solenoid problem, but it is really a problem with the Accumulator.

See if your dealer can look up this TSB and try this fix!

Good luck. My son is going to try this fix this week. I'll try to let you know how it goes.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
franski64
AF Newbie

Just took the car to the Chrysler dealer and asked them to flash or reset the computer and they said that it was a bad input sensor. This is the third sensor we put in, they said it did not need flashed and would not do it.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
cma
AF Newbie

Do you know which sensor was replaced? Did they give you a name or part number? I would like to have several options for them to try, since no one has gotten it right yet.

Does it look like your transmission is working now? Please let us know if it fails any time soon.

Thanks for replying!
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
franski64
AF Newbie

Actually, the input sensor that they replaced is the same exact one that has been already replaced twice already in the last few months, so chances are that the problem is still there.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
mgs179
AF Newbie

I cleaned out my transmission solenoid connector and plug with connector cleaner, then sealed the top hole [for removal of connector] with a cap and RTV.....My problem was solved. I was told that when the computer samples tranmission data, that data fails to report the proper status and limp mode is the result. I gained some insight into the problem luckily before putting up any cash in repairs myself from some one else who sadly spent thousands of dollars on his Chrysler van parts, only to diagnos the problem himself out of desperation. I would love to give him the proper credit!!!

Last edited by mgs179; 07-03-2009 at 07:17 AM.
mgs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
604action
AF Newbie

It is the transmission control module.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
mark44004
AF Newbie

I hate to beat a dead horse but my daughters 96 does the same thing. She's had the trans flushed, sensors changed and two different control modules replaced. Nothing kicks out a code. mgs179 seems to have an angle that works. Where is that transmission solenoid connector and plug? Does the pan have to come off to get to it?
Also, her car defaults to either nuetral or 2nd when she puts on the cruise control. The input sensor has been replaced and did well for a couple weeks and then started doing the same thing. ???

Last edited by mark44004; 07-29-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: more info
mark44004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
mgs179
AF Newbie

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear you are having the same problems as did my daughter and I. Since my fix, we have not seen the problem again. I don't know what type of vehicle you are dealing with, but the cirrus xmission connector is in the front lower right side of the engine/xmission assembly visible and easily reached from the front of the car. It is rectangular and removed with a centrally located hex bolt through the back of the connector shell. Once removed, inspect the area in the xmission side recepticle for any...and I mean any moisture!!. Clean and dry out recepticle and connector pins and surface with isopropyl. Reinstall the connector and seal that hole that was used for access to the hex bolt. I used a small plastic cap and RTV. If you have the same type of engine/xmission, sealing that hole should work for you.

When I get home , I will check back to the AF's with my maint. manual in hand to further assist with specs and model numbers if needed.

good luck.

Mark S.
mgs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
pmo3488
AF Newbie

I'd like to hear if anyone else tries the fix from Mark. I'm curious as to how difficult it was to repair since I've had similar problems and have tried just about everything else.
pmo3488 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus