Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
beardog123
AF Newbie

1994 lebaron convertibale shifting problems

we have a 94 lebaron thats going to limp mode ivwe changed the fliuds and the input and out put senors but no help has any had these problems and what was the outcome any help or ideas is greatly appreciated thanks the beardog
beardog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
94gtc
AF Newbie

Same here my girlfriends car died recently. She is now using my quality GM machinery to go to and from work while I ride my motorcycle. As the seasons change here in Maine in a short time this won't be working out so well.

The culprit is a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. It has a 3.0L V-6 which has been very dependable. Unfortunately it won't shift into 3rd gear. I believe that the problem is electronic but I haven't been able to find any wiring diagrams as of yet.

The car starts in first just fine the transition from park to first is as smooth as the showroom floor. Then accelerating normally down the road the car shifts into 2nd gear. Again very smooth. When goes to shift into 3rd gear problems arise. Instead of going into 3rd gear the transmission goes into neutral. If I let the car slow down it shifts all the way back down into first and will not shift out of it. I think it is the transmissions "limp mode". It will stay in first until shut off I am assuming this action resets the computer controlling it. Then it is the same thing again.

I don't believe the transmission overheated or was used hard. Fluid looks and smells fine no burnt odor or ash.

Sound familiar Bear?

Does anyone know where I could look at a schematic of how the shift solenoids work? I think that one of them may have stuck.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Sean
94gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
Boogieman142
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Boogieman142 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman142 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman142
Well, the transmission is fully electronic controlled and if the tcm sees something in it that it doesn't like it goes into limp mode. 90% of the time it happens after the fluid is changed. This is because whoever changed the fluid did not do a very good job at it. Either they forgot to put the new o-ring in or just did not fill it all the way. It went into limp mode because it sucked some air while the car was moving and didn't want air in the system cause you know what happens if air gets in your brake lines, if you don't just think of it this way, hydraulic fluid doesn't compress, air does, and the petal gets spongy. Well, the transmission uses shift valves and there cannot be air in them cause they will not shift properly so essentially the transmission is saving itself by only giving you 1 and 2 speeds. The only way of fixing this is to first get out all of the air from the system and then fill it with the proper fluid. Atf+3, +4, or +5 (I personally use atf+3 in mine with a bottle of lubegard atf protectant, its approved by chrysler and NATRA but thats just me, i like to keep my tranny working a long time, others may not) DO NOT USE ANYTNING EXCEPT THE RIGHT FLUID. Then you will need to take it somewhere that has the DRB II code scanner for the transmission and clear the code. If you have any problems, e-amil me at Boogieman142@hotmail.com I have rebuilt a few of these 4 speeds and own one in my everyday car.
Boogieman142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
Boogieman142
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Boogieman142 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman142 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman142
By the way, GM is not quality
Old 03-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
convdart
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to convdart
Re: 1994 lebaron convertibale shifting problems

My friend has the same problem of his car going into limp mode. But we know what the problem is and are having trouble figuring out the solution. The bolt stripped and broke on one of the solenoid connections right next to the exhaust. We've tried silicon to hold it down, but nothing has worked and I think the connections are opening up. Boogieman, you said you've worked on these before. Do you know if there are any special adjustments on the solenoids if you remove them?
convdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Boogieman142
AF Regular

if you remove them than you should get a scan tool re-learn done but it is not necessary, it is a "plug and play" thing.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
convdart
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to convdart

thanks for the info
convdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
sportsb4life7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sportsb4life7

kinda weird but my car is doing this too but its an automatic
the brakes are spongieish and the gears (or so i think are acting weird) along with the rpms dont feel normal... if that makes sense but i kno my car and it doesnt feel like it did a week ago....
i used some fuel cleaner and then put in some brake fluid althought the fluid was almost full? and so i could only add a little and its still acting up and am not sure what to do ...... thanks ?
sportsb4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Doug Graham
AF Newbie

My 94 is an automatic and has a tachometer. If I buckle the seat belt before starting it will not shift into the highest gear.
If I buckle the seat belt after starting it does fine until sometimes it slows down and the gears shift and then it will not go back in high gear again.
I had this at a shop and the mechanic had the computer checking everything as it was running and it changed gears like it was new and should.
In figuring out why it did that the only thing i could see he was doing different was not using the seat belt. It is a law to use the seat belt but the car would run fine if i didn't use it.
Has anyone ever heard of this problem? And how to fix it?

Doug Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 AM   #10
Boogieman142
AF Regular

sports - bleed out ur brakes and i need more info on the trans issue
Doug - I can't say that i have ever heard of that issue before but does it only do it with the seatbelts, or how about like with a door ajar or something, if u have cruise does it work, or does it work for a bit then kick out on ya? When did it start doing this, what conditions, what was done before it etc... A little more info would be great. And tell the technician that he needsto wearhis seatbelt in your car for one and for 2 he needs to in order to properly diagnose the customer complaint.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
kjimenez
AF Newbie

hi im having problems too but mine only works on first if i put it to D it wil work in first but when it changes to any other it wount move ,not even if i put it back on 1st ,only reverse, so i have to turn of end then restart it , put it on 1st an cant move it because it wil hapen again , can you please help me!!!
kjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
Boogieman142
AF Regular

Holy back from dead! Anyways have you checked for codes?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron