Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestyle
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
ctmike
AF Newbie

Exclamation Brakes & tires @ 19K ??

I have an 05 SEL 2wd that I bought new in April of 05. Last week my right rear brake started grinding when I would come to a stop. It got very bad within a very short time (5 days). I took it to my local Ford dealer where I bought the car, thinking that a caliper must be stuck or non functioning somehow.

When the service man called me later that day, he said that the right rear was metal to metal and the left wasn't far behind. I was stunned. It cost me almost $300 to have it fixed. he told me that the Freestyle needs their first brakes at around 20 - 25K miles. But that the front pads have very little wear on them and should last much longer. Also said I need new tires soon. I am 47 years old with a 7 year old son. I drive almost all city miles, with the occasional road trip. I have been known to go through tires faster than your average driver, but geez, 19K?? oh yeah, they are Continental tires.

Is anyone else suprised by this? Why do the back disc brakes wear so much more that the front?? It seems as though there is an issue here that Ford is trying to keep quiet since the 07 Freestyle is the last one they are making.
Am i wrong?
Thanks!!
ctmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Fester88
AF Newbie

Re: Brakes & tires @ 19K ??

It is not a surprise at all. I work at a Ford dealership in the service area. I have seen freestyles and 500's go through back brakes. I do not believe they are trying to hold anything back. I do know the reason they are stopping the production of the freestyle. The are calling the 500 the Tauras and the Freestyle the Tauras x. Any other question let me know. But your problem wasnt surprising!
Fester88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
KimMG
AF - Advisor

The tires that came with your may not have been rated for high mileage. Look through your paperwork for the car to see what kind of warranty the tires came with. City driving is hard on the brakes.
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
ctmike
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
rivguy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to rivguy

there are tsb's for both issues - updated toe specs for the tires and new pads for the brakes - good thing is that depending on the dealer (the one I work for does it) the tires CAN be warrantied for 3/36 under this tsb - some dealers are too money motivated to do this for ya but ford will pay for it - the brakes are all you after 12/12,000
Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
ctmike
AF Newbie

I appreciate the info, rivguy!

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
rivguy
AF Regular

ford is now paying for the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

the recall is out and ford will replace the brakes under full bumper to bumper or untill the end of the year for those out of warranty. send vin # to dane_49004@yahoo.com and I will run them for people to check if recall in on your vehicle and send more details.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
formerfordtech
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Brakes & tires @ 19K ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivguy
there are tsb's for both issues - updated toe specs for the tires and new pads for the brakes - good thing is that depending on the dealer (the one I work for does it) the tires CAN be warrantied for 3/36 under this tsb - some dealers are too money motivated to do this for ya but ford will pay for it - the brakes are all you after 12/12,000
Hi I worked as a ford tech for seventeen years and as a mechanic over twentythree, I think it is really cool for you to be helping people out the way you are. so now I have a question for you, my son who is serving in Iraq,left his 2006 f-150 [4.6,2wd] with me for safekeeping while he is gone. anyhow
it needs a DPFE .We used to call it the "little black B@#%@" when we replaced it under the campaign, Is the campaign still open? I remember it paid 0.3 to check continuous replace it and clear codes but I dont remember the campaign number. any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
formerfordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
rivguy
AF Regular

it is still open - the extension covers 2 year 24,000 miles above bumper to bumper. fmcdealer and oasis are both down till Monday - if you still need the number e-mail me at dane_49004@yahoo.com with vin and I can run it for coverage.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestyle