Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
lrak8
AF Newbie

1998 ram1500 engine noise

I have a 98 ram 1500 5.9L with a horrible engine knock, and it burns oil. It has 65000 miles, and I bought it a year and half ago used with 48,000. I've been told that 98 dodge truck have a plenium gasket problem (what ever that is), and that's why it's burning oil. It's not leaking I've checked on regular basis. And i have know idea about the engine knock. It's fine until I give it hell then it sounds like a valve is going to go thru the hood. I still get good gas milage so i have know idea. I don't mind working on my vehicles, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd rather do it myself then get reemed by a dealership.

Thanks
lrak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
RumChaser
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Possible Solution for you

Don't know if you have fixed the problem or not but I have a '99 5.9L that does the same thing. I was told by a dealer service tech that it is caused by the intake manifold gasket leaking, also check this link (http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm). I have yet to fix mine because of the day (roughly 6-8 hours) needed to fix it. I have found a way to reduce the knocking in the mean time (until proper repair is made), use premium gas and try to keep the RPMs under 2500. Since oil is being sucked in to the combustion chamber and taking up a bit of space in the chamber, the combustion ratio is increased and the premium gas helps reduce the knocking. When I get around to fixing my intake leak I let you know if I still have this problem.

Last edited by RumChaser; 04-09-2003 at 04:00 PM.
RumChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
rshaink
AF Newbie

Question

I am wondering if anyone has tried the above fix. I too have the same problem as listed. I have a 1998 5.9L Dodge Ram 1500 that uses about two quarts of oil a week and there are no oil leaks. I can't verify if I am burning, but again, there aren't any leaks. I reviewed the suggestion to TSB 09-05-00. I am wondering if this fixed the problem. I also get the knocking when ecellerating. I was told by one dealer that it was my cadolitic converter comming apart (?). Is that true?

Thanks.
rshaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
Mtngoat
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem on my 99' 5.9L 2500. I didn't have as much of a burning oil problem, but I did have a knock/valve noise. I caught it early on, and brought it to the dealer. Fortunately they were able to detect the problem, and they immediately dropped the pan and checked the main bearings...hmmmm, interesting. The bearings were pretty bad, but i did catch the problem early. They did a terrible job replacing the bearings, and I ended up with a new long block(under extended warrany). I friend at work with a '96 5.9L had the same problem out of warranty....ended up needing a rebuild.

Without hearing the noise personally, I can't tell if you have the same problem. I thought i would share this info just in case. The noise occurred initially at a specific rpm...if your problem is similiar, you might want to check the main bearings.
Mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
pkupmanvt
AF Newbie

i have a 98 with the 5.9 and had the same problems. the intake plentum gskts are most likely your oil problem. as for the spark knock there is a tsb your dealer san perform to reduce or eliminate the noise. i did both and have not herd the noise since even though my gskts are bad again and burning oil. hope this helps some.
pkupmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #6
2000Ram4X4
AF Newbie

Post 2000 Ram 5.2 with same problems

I have a 2000 Ram with a 5.2 liter with 28K miles with the same problems. It pings like mad once it shifts into overdrive, and it uses about 2 quarts of oil every oil change. Thanks Rumchaser for the TSB. I'll run the test this week and see if its the same problem.
2000Ram4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
tazman74
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 ram1500 engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak8
I have a 98 ram 1500 5.9L with a horrible engine knock, and it burns oil. It has 65000 miles, and I bought it a year and half ago used with 48,000. I've been told that 98 dodge truck have a plenium gasket problem (what ever that is), and that's why it's burning oil. It's not leaking I've checked on regular basis. And i have know idea about the engine knock. It's fine until I give it hell then it sounds like a valve is going to go thru the hood. I still get good gas milage so i have know idea. I don't mind working on my vehicles, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd rather do it myself then get reemed by a dealership.

Thanks
I had thesame problem and i did get that gasket fixed but it did not work and the problem was still ther (but not as bad) I just got my truck back from the shop yesterday and I had told them about the knock agian and they flashed the pcm or a ping and knock and it worked no knock.
tazman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Gregor
AF Newbie

Is the noise you guys have been hearing a hard knock or more of a rattle? I have noticed what I call a loud rattle in what sounds like the lower engine when I pull my camper. It sounds very bad upon first acceleration with the camper, then once you are up to speed for a while it disappears completely. I have never noticed it until I started pulling the camper. It also has been accompanied by increased oil consumption, never used any before. Does this sound like the same thing you guys are experiencing? I have a 2001 5.2 liter with a 5 speed and 27,000 miles.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:36 PM   #9
tazman74
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Is the noise you guys have been hearing a hard knock or more of a rattle? I have noticed what I call a loud rattle in what sounds like the lower engine when I pull my camper. It sounds very bad upon first acceleration with the camper, then once you are up to speed for a while it disappears completely. I have never noticed it until I started pulling the camper. It also has been accompanied by increased oil consumption, never used any before. Does this sound like the same thing you guys are experiencing? I have a 2001 5.2 liter with a 5 speed and 27,000 miles.

No mine was more of a knock but just under a load any kind of load but no added oil use or anything.
tazman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
Justan02Ram
AF Newbie

It is the intake gasket, because flashing the pcm will not make the vehicle quit burning oil. The flash for the pcm may help with detonation under a load.
Justan02Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #11
mxracer111
AF Newbie

i also have a dodge ram 1500 5.2 2 wheel drive, if i run 87 or even some 89 octane my truck runs like crap and makes the pining noise. thought it was the caty. but took to a friend at a dealer ship and they said too run 92 or 93. that fixed the problem,. as far as oil burning i only loose oil if i am towing long distance and on the gas hard. maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a court from NY - FL 1200 miles. other than that no leaks. truck has 99725 miles.
mxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
mprtech
AF Regular

If you want to check for a blown intake in a 5.2 or a 5.9 just climb up on the motor and open the throttle blades and look inside with a flashlight. If there is pooling oil on the bottom, then the lower intake pan gasket is blown. Do this with the engine off please.
mprtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:35 PM   #13
Dirtboy01
AF Newbie

here goes it! i just talked to a guy who has a 98 with a 5.9 and there is a sensor in the middle of the engine block that goes bad maybe you guys should put your trucks on a computer diagnostics
Dirtboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
moparboy99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to moparboy99

ok to start with the plenium is on the bottom if the intake. they cover what I would call the runners. mine made the same noise but the upper intake was leaking and it was using alot of oil. changed the gasket and dodge recomends that you change the bolts in the plenium also if you get the gaskets from a dealer like I had to they arn't cheap but it will preobly fix the problem in my case it did. I also changed the brand of oil that I was useing to a synthic blend and that also help and runs smother too hope this helps
moparboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #15
jjohay1
AF Newbie

Hi, the dealer just told me I have the blown intake plenum gasket on my '99 Dodge Durango 5.9L, he wants $670 to fix it ! Can't believe there's no recall for this obvious screw-up (I'm at 70,000 miles). Anyway, how difficult is fixing this ? Looks like you have to move a bunch of stuff out of the way to get to the fix. Thanks.

J
jjohay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10