Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #16
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 98 Ram vibration

Yeah, how many miles on your truck, trainman?

Based on the vibration going away when you downshift, it sounds like it may be something in the lockup that's not staying engaged. Your initial posts said at highway speeds and up a slight grade, which is where your TC would disengage lockup to get a bit more power to handle the hill. I had an AT vehicle that shuddered up hills or in the 45-50 range while accelerating in 4th; I left it in 3rd unless I was going to go on the highway and be above 50 mph for awhile.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #17
trainman
AF Newbie

It diffently is not a hesitation, you can hear the vibration and it sounds and feels like I am driving over the rub strip on the side of the highway. I have no codes deplaying and no check engine light.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #18
trainman
AF Newbie

The truck has 68000 miles on it and for what my 2 cents are worth I too think that it is the TC
Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #19
fredjacksonsan

It does sound like a mechanical problem in the TC. Hopefully you have the 7/70 powertrain warranty....and can take it in!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #20
trainman
AF Newbie

Unfortunately no, my warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. I do have another question though as to what the powertrain contol module does?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
fredjacksonsan

Bummer about the warranty.

I'm not the resident expert, but I believe the PCM is responsible for when/how the transmission shifts. If there's a problem in there about the lockup, it could conceivably cause the problem, but again I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully one of the folks that's good with auto trans will check this thread.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #22
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

Not sure but your original post did say on acceleration and deceleration is this correct just trying to rule different things out such as possible missfire with a partially plugged injector very common on these trucks and you get the same sympton but only on acceleration and worst in o/d and did you try rotating your drive shaft 180 degrees i'm urging you to try this as we have seen this cause the same type of problem or pull all your plug wires off of the distibutor cap and check for heavy corrosion on the cap towers i realize your engine lamp is not on but your pcm is probably not counting miss fires for different reasons such as improper fuel gauge readings or did not learn addaptive numerator these things defeat miss fire counters and will not turn your engine lamp on eaven if you took the plug right out and drove the truck did you get the vehicle checked on a scan tool by a known good tech that knows the values of the sensors or voltages because some guys will only know to read codes and could not determine a fault ahead of time as the threshold of some sensors are so great that a sensor could be faulty but not turn the engine lamp on because it did not cross the required voltage to turn lamp on i can go on for days on this but i think you get the ideal and i don't want you to spend a bunch of cash on something that may not be required but only trying to help because Dodge is my bread and butter for 30 years and i thik these are about the best trucks out there and the more you like your truck the better job security for alot of us techs because word of mouth is excelent advertising
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #23
fredjacksonsan

Like I said, you needed a resident expert.

Thanks 1thunder.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #24
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

just hope i can help out i guess you know how hard it could befredjacksonsan to diagnose this type of problem without seeing or driving the vehicle it could be anything posted so far and the trick is to try to fix efficiently
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #25
trainman
AF Newbie

The vibration occurs between 42 and 48 mph, and occasionally at higher speeds. The vibration goes away if I accellerate or decellerate. I have been driving the truck the past few days with the OD off and the vibration has not occured at all. One of the trans shops that I took it to did a scan and found nothing. I have had the driveshaft checked and the cause of the problem is not there. If the problem is with the PCM then it is covered under the warrenty for 80,000 miles. I will check the plug wires and cap for corrosion and go from there.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #26
Furdog
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman
I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 that has a vibration between 42 & 48 mph. This vibration goes away if I accelerate or decelerate. I was told that it was the torque convertor, but I had it to 3 different transmission shops and all have told me that this is not trans. related. I have checked the u-joints, motor mounts, trans mount, had the tires rotated, and rebalanced. This has me baffled, any suggestions as to what it could be? Thanks in advance
Change you plugs and wires and cap and rotor
Furdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:41 PM   #27
trainman
AF Newbie

I changed the plugs,wires,cap,rotor, but the vibration is still there. I have noticed that with the Overdrive off the vibration does not occur. Any suggestions as to where to go from here, maybe a stick of dynamite would help.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #28
Furdog
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 Ram vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furdog
Change you plugs and wires and cap and rotor
Alright the next thing I would do is look into your torque converter. If its only doing it in overdrive mybe your clutch pack in the torque converter is bad. Any shop will have the computer to check this out and to tell you if that is the problem...
Furdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #29
trainman
AF Newbie

I took the truck to another trans shop and yes it was the TC. This seems to be a typical problem for Dodge. Thanks for all input and help. Have a good day.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10