Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Billy Rubin
AF Newbie

White wall Tires.

I am currently planning my AMT/ERTL 36' Ford coupe and am wondering how to convert the tires into whitewalls?

Is there any paint that can be used or are decals the best way to go? IF so where would i get decals? I am quite new to modelling and want to do things right for the best outcome.
Billy Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Re: White wall Tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rubin
I am currently planning my AMT/ERTL 36' Ford coupe and am wondering how to convert the tires into whitewalls?

Is there any paint that can be used or are decals the best way to go? IF so where would i get decals? I am quite new to modelling and want to do things right for the best outcome.
I haven't got a clue but since noone elase seesm to have any ideas let's give it a go
  • I made a Revell cord in 1/25 which had whitewalls you might try to find that kit. Actually the white walls were plastic inserts into the tires.
  • You might try making and painting? I don;t know how the oaint would stick though. Maybe r/c paints which I think are supposed to be more flexible?
  • Several coats of thinned out correction fluid?
  • Actually I wouldn't be very optimistic about white decal paper, but who knows...?
Good luck though and if you find a good method, remember to share it with us all!!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
MILLER_MP6
AF Regular

hey billy.. i havnt had much luck with decals. i paint them. I just use several coats of matt white paint. Its time consuming as it is important to wait til each layer is total dry before applying the next otherwise it tends to just spread around and not cover the section you are painting.. this works for me and im doing it on my '49 merc as seen in the Hot Rod section..
good luck mate

miller
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
accord2k2
AF Newbie

billy just use arcrylic paint but be careful they tend to rub of if you play with them too much. but other than that a couple good coats and youll have them.
accord2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
chato de shamrock
AF Regular

pegasus hobbies sell white wall tires; however, im not sure if they'd be the right size tires for your model. I also bought some white wall plastic decals off of them about 9 years ago. Who knows? Maybe they still sell them. You peeled off the paper on one end and stick the white wall to the tire. You then rub it into the tire really good and finally slowly peel off the other paper. The white wall should stay nice and tight on the tire. Thats how i made my first white walls.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling