Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Sfrid073
AF Newbie

Ignition Switch replacement procedure

This was originally posted by CCCD. Just some minor tweaks to the procedure by me. Hope this helps some of you. This is applies to a 1997 Blazer LT AWD.

First make sure the key is in the “OFF” position. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, and disable the air bag. Do this by removing the air bag fuse and disconnecting the yellow connector at the base of the steering column. Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

Next remove all the access panels and assess the situation. First remove the lower panel, 7mm Hex fasteners, then loosen the upper panel with 7mm Hex fasteners and torque drive (T25 size).

Now remove the lower steering wheel column cover. It has two T25 torque fasteners that are accessed from the underside. Note the two hooks on the rear of the cover. Now remove the top steering wheel cover. Two E6 series Torx fasteners (I read a std ¼ drive 3/32socket, might work, but I think using the right tools is better) are visible (see explanation below). Note the one on the driver’s side wont fall out after you loosen it, it has a lock nut to keep from falling out.
I read that you don’t need to remove the top cover, but I found it much easier with it removed. I used a Dremel tool to cut a slit just under the key cylinder. Now GENTLY spread the plastic enough to come around the approx. 0.75” Dia. key housing. It’s easier with the tilt down all the way. The rubber cover on the lower cover will hide the cut.

Next remove the small white connector from the top of the metal, key “tumbler”. Rotate the switch towards the passenger seat to remove. This gets the small wires out of the way so you can get to the upper left fastener.

Now you’re ready to remove the switch. Reverse Torx fasteners hold the switch in. These are the same kind of fasteners as earlier. They require an “E” series socket. Basically the fastener looks just like the business end of a torque screwdriver. It is an E3, or E4 socket. I found an E4 at Sears Hardware. It fit a bit loose but it worked. With some down pressure and slight side pressure they were removed. BE CAREFULL!!! Note the white plastic parts toward the front of the car. For the lower right fastener the white part goes on the outside of the black plastic switch, when things go back together.

Now go back underneath and remove the harness at the main block. Use a 9/32 socket to loosen center fastener (mine was red). There are basically three harnesses in one. The two outside ones are for the turn signals. Remember orientation of the harness block, relieves worry when you go back to install the new harness. These two out side harnesses come out from the bottom/back side of the ignition switch harness. Once loose, cut the zip ties and remove the switch.

Now just put everything back in reverse order. Connected the battery and test the switch before reassembling everything. When the air bag is disabled the air bag light will stay on.
Success!

Last edited by Sfrid073; 09-16-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Sfrid073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
NizZ8
AF Newbie

Great Post.. pretty much the same steps i took last night myself. Though i ended up pulling the steering wheel and airbag rather that cutting the plastic (reason for this was the damn manual said there's a retainer clip on the top along with the two E6 screws!!--WHICH there wasn't) Or else i would have cut the thing.

Wish i had this guide before i did it and probably could have saved an hour or two

GOOD GUIDE!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Ignition Switch replacement procedure

Where are the moderators?

We need this to be a sticky.
BlazerLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
earp
AF Newbie

is there any difference in this procedure regarding a blazer 2000?
earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

shouldn't be, why, yours doing this too?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
earp
AF Newbie

not but my hazard switch (on top of the steering wheel) is damaged, so i have to replace it. So i imagine that the procedure would help me a lot in order to acces to this switch...
Old 09-16-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

The hazrd switch replacement does not require you ripping the column apart.

Here is how you do it.:

http://s-series.org/modules.php?op=m...rtid=41&page=1
Old 09-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
earp
AF Newbie

ok, good help....
Old 09-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #9
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Your welcome.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
dieselfumez
AF Newbie

Just did one myself the same way, cut the plastic but found after moving the plastic around the cylinder the outer rubber on the key cylinder pops off and easily pops back on making my cut pointless but hey, I got er done!
dieselfumez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
sinzn0more
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to sinzn0more

this would have helped me a year ago but thanks anyway im finding people everyday that needs this info. by the way i cleaned the metal strips inside the black box rather than spending the money for a new harness. Carbon build up! Who would have thought it.
sinzn0more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
recurve
AF Regular

Ignition switch - white connector - how to remove?

Hi, I'm working on replacing the ignition switch in our '97 Blazer. I have the steering wheel column covers off. Above the key tumbler there is a white connector that must be removed. It is small and has two wires that go to the ignition switch. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to pull out this white connector. I've tugged on it from different angles.

I looked at the replacement switch and notice that the bottom of its white connector is a button that can be depressed. I guess this is what signals the ignition switch to work when you turn the key tumbler. I hope this helps describe this connector that I need to remove.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-- recurve
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Ignition switch should have the pink wire going to a black box.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
Sfrid073
AF Newbie

Just twist the switch to the passanger side of the car
Sfrid073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #15
recurve
AF Regular

Hi Sfrid, thanks for the fast reply.

Where CCCD said to turn the tumbler "clockwise", you modified this to say "toward the passenger side of the car." Most of what you wrote is very similar to what CCCD had said but you must have had some trouble with this connector too so you changed the wording.

I'm still having trouble. I just went to try to remove the connector again. I don't understand what "passenger side" means… sorry I'm so dense. I've tried going both clockwise and anti-clockwise with the tumbler, but I can't get the white connector out.

Here is a picture of the situation taken while sitting in the driver's seat and looking with my head over the steering wheel (from the ceiling looking down):

If I turn the tumbler clockwise:
================================

I have the battery cables removed (so it's equivalent to a dead battery)

I'm trying to remove the white connector on top of the key tumbler. According to CCCD's post it said I needed to turn the tumbler "clockwise." So I tried, that didn't work and the key got stuck in the tumbler. I couldn't turn the tumbler back to the lock position and pull the key out.

So I popped the hood and connected the battery cables again. Then I hopped in the car and could very easily turn the key tumbler back to the lock position and pull the key out.

If I turn the tumbler counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for Canadian friends):

I can turn the tumbler to the position you would use if you wanted to listen to music without the engine on. But still, I can't dislodge the white connector.

It is easy to turn the key back to the basic position (I guess this is the LOCK position) and pull the key out. No need to hook up the battery.

What am I missing?

I must be missing something obvious to most people. I'm a complete nerdy dweeb who knows little about automobiles. I mean, I've been reading like mad recently and soaking up info like a sponge, but that doesn't help much with real world tasks. There are two metal prongs (you can barely see them in the picture) that hold the white connector from the top. The white connector goes into its slot in a way that I don't understand. I'm looking at the new ignition switch I got from Advance Auto Parts and I just don't know how that switch goes in there. It has a button on the bottom that must be flicked by the tumbler to turn on the Blazer. I'm probably misunderstanding the "wiggling" technique to remove this white connector.

I'd like to try to finish this job on Sunday. Any help, tips, or a firm kick in the butt would be a big help! Thanks :-)
-- recurve
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info