Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Gallardo
View Poll Results: Which car is better?
Ford GT 16 30.77%
Lamborghini Gallardo 36 69.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

I just want to know your opinion on which car is better and why, personnally I think the Ford GT is better because of its bang for the buck factor and because the Gallardo and GT have roughly the same base price.
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Looking for any Pontiac 1979 and earlier
"In order to establish a sportscar, you have to race it." -Zora Duntov
"There's no replacement for displacement"
Super Duty- Everything a Pontiac ought to be (until Ford swiped the name for it's truck line.)
1965PontiacGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
DiabloGT
Banned

Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

yeah right it aint a bang for the buck , they both have same hp, ford gt is only a mustang engine that has a s/c HAHAH, and the gallardo can pump out more power w/o tthe s/c, it has a v10 engine, and also that is pure luxury inside, cmon look at the ford gt WHAT IS UP WITH THOSE BUCKLES on the seats...overall i go for gallardo...
DiabloGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

What are you talking about the Ford GT has 500hp and 500lb-ft and its a V8, 0-60 in 3.8sec, 1/4 mile in 11.9 sec@122mph.
The Gallardo has 492hp and 376lb-ft and its a V10!!, 0-60 in 4.0sec, and 1/4 mile in 12.2sec at 122mph

You are right about the interior, but the Ford obviously has the advantage in performance, and by the way the approximate base price of The GT is $150,000 and the Gallardo $165,900.
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Super Duty- Everything a Pontiac ought to be (until Ford swiped the name for it's truck line.)
Old 02-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
Doucette
Indie Game Developer

Ford GT, even though I'm a Lamborghini fan.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

I'd go for the gallardo. Afterall, the .2 sec difference cited doesn't really matter unless you drag race Euro exotics (in which case you're stranger than I thought). Both cars have been shown to have excellent handling and are for the same price. Because of this, it really boils down to the intangibles. The Gallardo has an incredible engine sound, refined interior without being plush and an optional e-gear (if your purpose is to use it for the track). The GT has a good note (but it comes from a pickup truck engine), a not so refined interior, and a development that took under 18 months and a lot of budget cutting.

GALLARDO 8 days a week.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

The Ford GT is a great car can I like to drive American, but I would take the Gallardo. Styling: The Gallardo crushes the GT. It's just too retro, while the Lambo looks fast sitting still. The interior goes to the Gallardo as well, because again the Ford is so retro. I like retro, but the Ford GT40 was never one of my favorite cars, so why should the GT be. Performance: The GT may outperform the Gallardo, but unless you're racing, you aren't going to really notice it. I take the Lambo...

My Webshots
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

You have a good point, the statistics are so close, it really comes down to brand preference.
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

In which case the Lambo will usually win with the exception of course being ford/american racing afficionados.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

not to sound funny, but...
Quote:
In which case the Lambo will usually win with the exception of course being ford/american racing afficionados.
What are you talking about?
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-13-2004, 09:21 PM   #10
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

What I mean is that if you have two equal cars like the gallardo and GT, most people will choose the gallardo because it is a lambo. It's almost a cheap but nonetheless inherent advantage that the gallardo has. When in dounbt, go for the status symbol.

btw, I wouoldn't choose th gallardo due to its status, I just simply like it more. And also, my previous post was very unclear, going back i didn't even understand what I was saying at first.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
DiabloGT
Banned

wow at least the lambo can make almost 500hp from no s/c and its a V10!, and the thing i hate is its a s/ced MUSTANG(EWWW) engine!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #12
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

actually the GT's engine is from a truck engine, not a mustang engine, not that it sounds good, but just so you know.
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
DiabloGT
Banned

well not what i heard when i went to the auto show, i saw it it was in the front of the show, and that lady kept repeating its a s/ced mustang engine, so im not sure but oh well, dont bother to reply...
Old 02-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
veebo
AF Newbie

I have looked at both, and elected to purchase a Gallardo over the GT. My personal reasons:

1. Styling (discussed enough)

2. Italian Exotic = Price Protection

Ford dealers are playing games with pricing... they are either adding a markup to the car's price or refusing to protect you on the MSRP. This is not the way Ferrari and Lambo dealers work with real customer orders for new cars... they protect your MSRP. In other words, original GT owners are gonna get screwed by dealers. Ford dealers do NOT understand how to build loyalty among their high-end clients because they don't HAVE any. My Gallardo comes in late May, at $170,000 complete incl. taxes, and I can sell it used today for about $190,000. Contrary to what some people think, exotic dealers rarely sell customer orders out from under you to reap these benefits.

3. Gallardo has a Real Race Engine

Yes, the Gallardo engine was blueprinted, blocked (based on Audi S8 engine configuration) and designed for the car specifically. The Lambo engine is normally aspirated, not supercharged, and this is really important to me because no real race engine is supercharged. Think about it: IRC, F1, Indy do not use s/c. Why not? Well, for one, when the engine intake manifold gets warm, which it always does in a race, super-charged air warms up, reducing the effectiveness of the supercharger significantly. Result: the longer and harder you drive, the weaker the car gets. This is why collectors do not want a supercharged engine in an exotic that "pretends" to be a race car, especially a retro/flashback car like the GT. IMHO the GT is a poser, friends, albeit a poser that crushes the Gallardo on the track. On the other hand...

4. If I want bang for the buck, then I will buy a Noble M12 GTO-3R

The M12 runs circles around the GT, Gallardo and F360 on a track, and is quite a bit quicker in the straights. In fact, the M12 GTO-3R is quicker than all but 3 or 4 production supercars in the world (Enzo, Saleen, Zonda, maybe one other). The Noble uses a twin-turbo Ford 6-cylinder Duratec engine + a Getrag 6-speed trannie on a 2200 lb car to do this. Stats: 0-60 in 3.6 sec, 0-100 in 11.9 sec, 1.1g on the skidpad, 1.4g pulling on brakes. At a landed cost of $82,000 US, and a run of only 50-100 cars per year to the US, this is defintely my next purchase. See the importer's web site, www.1gracing.com, for more information (no I do not work for them). Car-nut warning: the US version of the M12 is a roller, but not your typical one... the engine and trannie are the same as the production car sold in the UK, where the Noble is manufactured. The only way around DOT crash-testing was to ship the car and drivetrain separately, then reconnect the two inside the US. Other than that, nothing different between the production M12 and its US counterpart. 1 year warranty on everything.

Just my 2cents...

veebo
veebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #15
Doucette
Indie Game Developer

Good points, veebo. I retract my previous choice, and choose the Lamborghini Gallardo instead. (My change in mind was not due to veebo's post, althought it does reinforce my decision.) Why the change of mind? The Ford GT is not quite the supercar I thought it was. I guess the hype got to me. It happens.

BTW, http://www.fordvehicles.com/ has a TV Spot videos of the GT:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/m...eOne_60sec.mov
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/m...eOne_30sec.mov
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/m...e_makingOf.mov