Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
2cv
AF Newbie

Trash build

In the summer of 2003 I built a 1:87 scale model of a Dübener Ei (a small caravan from the DDR) to be towed by one of my 2cv's in the same scale. I built this caravan out of paper, cardboard, metal wire, needles and pins and hobby glue. I painted the model using some cans of spray paint I found in our garage (grey paint to spray on rims and a can of normal black paint), a small can of Enamel paint I bought in a toy shop to paint curtains and i borrowed a CD writer to 'paint' small details like a keyhole or the rubbers around the windows. I also started building the same caravan in a 1:17 scale using the same materials plus clear plastic sheets for windows I got from a someone who wanted to throw it away. and something we call 'crêpe papier' in the Netherlands (a kind of paper) for the curtains. I will use a pin (see picture below) to make a tow-bar on one of my 1:17 2cv’s and I will use the pacaging of my medication (see second picture below) to make nice round tail lights on my caravan. Is there anyone else over here who also tries to use cheap materials that aren’t really designed for caravan (or car) modelling? And if so, can you give some examples?

I will use a pin like this to make a tow-bar. I will bend it in a different way.

I will use this kind of pacaging to make some nice tail lights. These are not the pills I take by the way. The pills I take are in a far nicer pacaging so they look more like tail lights.
2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
Re: Trash build

I never even thought of this. Seems like a very original idea. Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm very interested in this.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
labandabonnot
AF Enthusiast

Oh yeah! I've just read the thread about the forthcoming new transkit for The Tamiya Enzo: 120 Euro (let's say it's the same as $...)! + the price of the kit itself (45-50 Euros)...
... And I open your thread! Ah! Ah! Oh yes ,it's good to see that modeling is not only for "people who can afford it".
Unfortunately (...) I don't remember the english words, but I know that can be used (in french):
-coton-tige (roll bars, etc...)
-pots de yaourts (du yaourt, quoi!) (for thin plastic pieces)
-canettes de bière ( beer cans) (can be cut to have some kind of photoetch)
-tulle fin (for the grids)

And, yes, pins are very usefull! Gunze Sangyo's Jaguar E-type kit uses them a lot!

I'd really like to see your caravan! 1:87! Requires good eyes and a heavy finger control!

Is "trash" really the right word? Paper models are quite cheap too, but one can't say it's trash...
I would use the word "creative", but I may be too much "politicaly correct"...

I hope one day I'll have the skill to model a car without having to buy a kit... but I'm not good enough yet!...
Old 02-03-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Re: Re: Trash build

Quote:
Originally Posted by labandabonnot
Unfortunately (...) I don't remember the english words, but I know that can be used (in french):
-coton-tige (roll bars, etc...)
-pots de yaourts (du yaourt, quoi!) (for thin plastic pieces)
-canettes de bière ( beer cans) (can be cut to have some kind of photoetch)
-tulle fin (for the grids)
-Cotton swabs, like Q-tips.
-Yogurt cups.
-Beer cans.
-Fine tulle. Same word in english, it's fine net/mesh stuff used in clothing, like dresses and veils.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
2cv
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Trash build

Quote:
Originally Posted by labandabonnot
(...)And, yes, pins are very usefull! Gunze Sangyo's Jaguar E-type kit uses them a lot!
Since when do Jaguars have tow-bars???

Quote:
I'd really like to see your caravan! 1:87! Requires good eyes and a heavy finger control!
No, just a lot of time and a dad who tells you it vcan't be done

Quote:
Is "trash" really the right word? Paper models are quite cheap too, but one can't say it's trash...
I would use the word "creative", but I may be too much "politicaly correct"...
Yes, I think 'trash' is the right word because most materials I used would be in 'la poubelle' by now if I hadn't made this caravan out of it.

Quote:
I hope one day I'll have the skill to model a car without having to buy a kit... but I'm not good enough yet!...
Just try. I hadn't any expierience at all when I started. Caravans are quite easy because most parts are flat (like the surface of a table) or round (like the outer surface of a roll of toilet paper) instead of spherical (like the outside surface of a ball). One more thing: my caravans won't have an interior or moving parts except the wheels. Althoug ... Perhaps I can make some kind of interior in my 1/17 caravan ... At this moment I have just 2 sidewalls with windows, so I still can change the design a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
-Cotton swabs, like Q-tips.
What is that?
Quote:
-Yogurt cups.
-Beer cans.
I'm afraid both are too flimsy.
Quote:
-Fine tulle. Same word in english, it's fine net/mesh stuff used in clothing, like dresses and veils.
What is that? Sorry, I don't understand all words yet Can you post a few pics perhaps ?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
-Cotton Swab, Q-Tip is something that you use to clean your ear with, it is a small stick, with a small ball of spun cotton on each end.
SonyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
2cv
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyMobile
-Cotton Swab, Q-Tip is something that you use to clean your ear with, it is a small stick, with a small ball of spun cotton on each end.
Ah, I see, thanx! Over here we call it 'wattenstaafje' (try to pronounce that). Do you also know what that 'Fine Tulle' is ?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
Its a type of fabric used to make things look prettier, if you go into a fabric shop and ask for it they will no what you are talking about, its much like a extremely fine mesh style fabric, it has small holes in it, which is good when making grills. hopefully that explains it, but if you have a local fabric shop ask them for sum and they Should no.
SonyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
2cv
AF Newbie

I think I know what you mean. It is a sort of very fine, flexible wire mesh, right ? I think it is also used as a door too keep the flies out but the wind in.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling