Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Dimitrix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dimitrix
P255/65R16 tires on 2000 Rodeo - Tire pressure?

So,
About a year ago I had to get new tires and went to Pep Boys. About an hour into it they tell me some guy right before me took the last tires that I needed (they told me they have 4 in stock when I got there but I did see another Rodeo in there along with mine).

So they suggested these tires (P255/65R16). I checked the manual and they are not suggested in there. So I consulted with them and they said their computer says its ok (plus apparently these tires were more expensive and they were willing to cut down the price because of the hassle - this was probably bull because theyre the same tires). I went along with it and have had them w/o a problem for a year.

Today my rear left tire was almost completely empty! Maybe its due to the cold weather? Anyways, I dont know the proper tire pressure for these tires. The manual only has recommended pressures for the two tire sizes it lists and since the ones I have arent in there, Im screwed.

Is there a formula to figure this out? Or should I just keep them at 26 psi?

Thanks
Dimitry
Dimitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: P255/65R16 tires on 2000 Rodeo - Tire pressure?

stick with 26.

if one tire is low you may have a nail in it.

check all your tires monthly during cold weather.

2 cents.
ryan

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
steveb_92rodeo
AF Enthusiast

26 PSI seems awfully low.

Almost all tires I have ever seen have the Cold PSI Max. printed on them somewhere.

Look around the tire right above the rim...it should spell it out there for you.

For instance, my 31x10.5's say on them to fill them to 50psi when cold.

HTH,

Steve
steveb_92rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Look in your drivers door jam, that is where it states the PSI (not on the tire).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Dimitrix
AF Newbie

Will do.
Thanks for the help guys.

Now all I have to do is find the damn pressure gauge Misplaced it somewhere

Dimitry
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

always for any vehicle stick with what the door says the tire does not know what kind of vehicle it is on so dont listen to the tire
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
wb4lbg
AF Regular

I have a similar problem. Apparently, the P245 70R16's for the 98+ just aren't commonly in stock at some places. I wound up with 75R16's on the set of Dueler AT Revo's I bought recently.

I had Cooper Discoverers on before that and ran those at 31-32 psig. The ride may be a little softer at 26 psig but I experienced significantly poorer mpg's at the lower pressure.

I've been running the same pressure in the Duelers but have considered lowering it, especially with the snowy roads I'm driving on in MI. Lower pressure should result in more tread in contact with the pavement. Sadly, the winter grade of fuel has already dropped my average mpg from around 19 to about 17.5 (lots of road miles!) Hate to lose any more.

Thoughts?

JWS
99 LSE 4WD
wb4lbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb4lbg
......Lower pressure should result in more tread in contact with the pavement. Sadly, the winter grade of fuel has already dropped my average mpg from around 19 to about 17.5 (lots of road miles!) Hate to lose any more.

Thoughts?

JWS
99 LSE 4WD
You will likely cup the heck our of those $$$ revos @ pressures higher than 30psig. (nice tires by the way!) Manufacturers set the tire press spec (door jamb label) for safety,economy & comfort. I hear you about the MPG thing! My 2002 gets horrible mileage in the winter as well. Low fuel light comes on around 250miles. As the factory tires are aging on my 2002, I've found them to handle & be most comfortable @ 28-29psig.
G/luck
Joel
Old 01-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
Dimitrix
AF Newbie

Yeah but the tire isnt listed on the door sticker so I dont know what to do. I figured 26 psi seems fine (yeah we just got plenty of snow too)

I want to get the whole thing straightened out because of bad driving conditions.
Dimitry
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: P255/65R16 tires on 2000 Rodeo - Tire pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrix
Yeah but the tire isnt listed on the door sticker so I dont know what to do. I figured 26 psi seems fine (yeah we just got plenty of snow too)

I want to get the whole thing straightened out because of bad driving conditions.
Dimitry
Not sure what year of truck you have; the 98+'s require less tire pressure from my understanding, then the 91-97 yrs.

I believe it's 26 frnt/rear for the 98+; and 32-35 psi for the 91-97 yrs.

I run mine at 38psi front/rear, empty load as well as hauling the boat. I've had the same tires for nearly a year, absolutely no cupping at this point. Mind you, however, I would not run that PSI on a lighter truck, my 97 Rodeo states that it weighs 5000#, but I also have several aftermarket accessories on her as well.

FWIW, I have the Revo's in the 245/75 16 series, and I LOVE them! They were very expensive, close to $900 for all, through Discount tire. I currently have roughly 10K on them - dirt, mud, snow, oversized rocks (not boulders though), and plenty of highway so far, with not even the slightest notion of irregular wear, let-a-lone wear, at this point.

They've done so well for me this winter, that I couldn't ask for a better tire. I had the Goodyear RT/S's before and all I did was slide around.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb_92rodeo
26 PSI seems awfully low.

Almost all tires I have ever seen have the Cold PSI Max. printed on them somewhere.

Look around the tire right above the rim...it should spell it out there for you.

For instance, my 31x10.5's say on them to fill them to 50psi when cold.

HTH,

Steve

Got to remember though, that those 98+ years are lighter trucks. They don't need 50psi, they'd be bouncing around and really eating up the center tread.

My 91 Rodeo ran the 31x10.50's, I kept them at 40psi, anything lower and the truck wouldn't have the pick-up. It liked them at 40, and didn't bounce around at all.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
wb4lbg
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: P255/65R16 tires on 2000 Rodeo - Tire pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Fever

FWIW, I have the Revo's in the 245/75 16 series, and I LOVE them! They were very expensive, close to $900 for all, through Discount tire.
Wow $900 for 4 tires? I got the P245-75R16 Revo's at a Firestone/Bridgestone dealer for $606 even and I thought that was really awful. But since I am regularly 'commuting' 6 hours through rain and snow I decided I wanted the best tires I could get. The Revo's came highly recommended in this forum so I went for it.

BTW, Joel, I've gone about 3K on these at 32 psig with no signs of cupping yet. Based on your advice, I will drop it to 26 for a few tankfuls just to see what kind of effect it has.

My idiot light doesn't usually come on until about 300 miles. Generally it takes > 18.5 gallons to fill it back up. Doesn't this tank only hold about 20 gallons? Seems like not much of a warning to me!

In the summer, I can get to about 375 before the light comes on.
wb4lbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #13
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: P255/65R16 tires on 2000 Rodeo - Tire pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb4lbg
Wow $900 for 4 tires? I got the P245-75R16 Revo's at a Firestone/Bridgestone dealer for $606 even and I thought that was really awful.

My idiot light doesn't usually come on until about 300 miles. Generally it takes > 18.5 gallons to fill it back up. Doesn't this tank only hold about 20 gallons? Seems like not much of a warning to me!

In the summer, I can get to about 375 before the light comes on.

Yeah, I was blown away at the cost of the tires; but I too wanted the best and hopefully, through maintaining them like clockwork, I can get at least 60K out of em or so. Believe it or not, I got 73K out of the first set of tires that came on this truck, I believe they were the BFG Long Trails. They still had plenty of tread left, however they had been patched far too many times to be highway safe.

Wish I would've bought them again as the 2nd set, versus the Goodyears, they were a $600 mistake. Only had 40K miles on them, plenty of tread, but horribly out of balance and couldn't keep them balanced for more then 2 weeks at a time. They had never been patched - after dismounting them to take a look see, the carcass on the inside of 2 of them was separating.

The Revo's are my 3rd set, and will be the same tire I purchase again - at least at this point.

Not to come off rude, but if you continue to run your truck down to the fuel idiot light, the money spent on the tires will be the least of your expense - i.e. fuel pump's LOVE to have at least 1/4 tank of fuel to keep them cool.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU