Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Premier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
PunkAlex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PunkAlex
geeze not a popular car? well i got a problem anyways!

only 22 posts in this entire forum, like 5 of which are serious

well my grandpa owns one of the small handful of premiers-1988...and its got a problem. Sometimes it will crank but it wont start. He lets it sit for a couple of hours then it will start up wihtout problem. Turn it off-it doesnt start.

Well this mornign he started it up, turned it off, and repeated 9 times, it starting every time. 15 minutes later he tried-didnt start.

Any ideas on how what the problem is? This car is in awesome condition and problems are a rarity (travels to the grocery and to the golf course...no more than 50 miles a week)...thanks for any help (if anyone decides to visit this tidy little forum)

I tend to hate people....expecially liberals...
This is my temporary racecar-the two liter beast itself, the 87 camry:
PunkAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
ababcock
AF Newbie

Re: geeze not a popular car? well i got a problem anyways!

This could be a result of a poor CPS signal to the CPU, which could tell the CPU that the "engine isn't turning so don't send an ignition pulse".

If Alex is still checking in - I had a similar problem with my '89 Premier 3.0 V6, over a three week period, visiting dozens of forums, I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS), the ignition module, the CPS again (I thought I might've damaged the connector), and finally, what appears to have fixed it was the CPS patch harness.

Chrysler put out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) late in 1988 regarding this - TSB 185588 (or I've seen it listed as 18-55-88). The TSB title says it all:

"Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent No Start"

I was able to buy the CPS from Kragen for $34, the ign. module only from the dealer ($165), and the patch harness from the dealer ($19).

I've read that a 'typical' failure mode for the CPS is at hot, so probably not your fix; I'd bet the harness patch kit, # 4443965.

I'll post the details of the repair from the TSB when I get my scanner hooked back up.

-Al

I guess we can't include attachments here, if you need the scans, post a reply and I'll email the six pages (1.33MB) to you.

Last edited by ababcock; 06-26-2004 at 04:31 AM. Reason: update info
ababcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
handyman2000
AF Newbie

Re: geeze not a popular car? well i got a problem anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkAlex
only 22 posts in this entire forum, like 5 of which are serious

well my grandpa owns one of the small handful of premiers-1988...and its got a problem. Sometimes it will crank but it wont start. He lets it sit for a couple of hours then it will start up wihtout problem. Turn it off-it doesnt start.

Well this mornign he started it up, turned it off, and repeated 9 times, it starting every time. 15 minutes later he tried-didnt start.

Any ideas on how what the problem is? This car is in awesome condition and problems are a rarity (travels to the grocery and to the golf course...no more than 50 miles a week)...thanks for any help (if anyone decides to visit this tidy little forum)
I had the exact same problem. Pissed around for three weeks before finding the problem on this forum:

The Crankshaft Position Sensor !!!!!

Replaced it with the sensor off my other EAGLE and works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip... Whoever gave it...
handyman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Premier