Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Nissan Skyline GT-R to Make North American Road Racing Series Debut in SPEED GT

sendtofriend.gifEmail this Page to a Friend

Nissan Skyline GT-R to Make North American Road Racing Debut in SPEED GT

Courtesy of AutomotiveForums.com

Competing in the 2006 SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT Championship, the Nissan Skyline GT-R, “Godzilla,” will make its North American Road Racing debut March 15-17 at Sebring International Raceway. (Courtesy of Giovanni Castello, AutomotiveForums.com member)
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (Feb. 15, 2006) – Bringing the Nissan Skyline GT-R to a North American road racing series for the first time ever, AutomotiveForums.com has announced its entry into the 2006 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT Championship.

The team, based in the Los Angeles area, is preparing to make its debut March 15-17 at Sebring International Raceway, in Sebring, Fla., where SPEED World Challenge will begin its 17th season.

The Skyline GT-R is a front-engine, all-wheel drive, two-door coupe, and with deep technical support from Skyline GT-R teams from both Japan and around the world, the AutomotiveForums.com team expects to be competitive right out of the box.

“We are excited to have an opportunity to finally campaign the GT-R, a car with rich Japanese motorsports history, stateside against the likes of the Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche 911,” Crew Chief Sean Morris said. “We have been working toward this goal for quite some time.”

Making his SPEED World Challenge GT debut along with the car, Igor Sushko, 20, will pilot the GT-R.

And though another driver has not yet been announced, the AutomotiveForums.com team has reserved two numbers, 69 and 70, with plans of adding a second GT-R to the roster later in the season.

The 2006 SPEED World Challenge GT schedule could not be more perfect, giving the team an opportunity to contend at a variety of circuits and street course venues across the country alongside the American Le Mans Series, Indy Racing League, Champ Car, and NASCAR Nextel Cup.

“As the product planner of the Nissan Skyline GT-R R34, this car and its heritage have a paramount place in my heart,” Hiroshi Tamura said. “I am very excited to finally see the GT-R compete in a United States championship series.

“I am fully confident in Igor and his team's ability to make the GT-R community around the world proud and we wish them good luck.”

Associate and technical sponsors for this effort include Rays Engineering, Mackin Industries, Tilton Engineering and Brembo, with further support to be announced shortly.

Launched in November of 2000, AutomotiveForums.com is today a leader in connecting the auto enthusiasts via the Internet. Currently, more than 435,000 members enjoy AutomotiveForums, with 500 new users signing up daily.

Victor Reyes
Courant Communications, LLC
626-926-4307

AutomotiveForums.com Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 front

AutomotiveForums.com Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 rear

Visit the Official World Challenge Website for further information on the series and competitors.

Last edited by igor@af; 02-16-2006 at 02:41 PM.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to igor@af For This Useful Post:
Atozer (04-28-2011)
Old 02-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Re: Nissan Skyline GT-R to Make North American Road Racing Series Debut in SPEED GT

If your company is interested in joining our race team as a partner, please contact us.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86
Re: Nissan Skyline GT-R to Make North American Road Racing Series Debut in SPEED GT

good luck on the upcoming races, igor!
and great job designing the new AF gt-r look, giovannni!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn

Umm can i copy that pic and post in my SIG PLEASEE....... I will make a offical AF user bar if you want
Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Goog luck Igor and Godzilla !
At least if you're unable to find someone for the nr.70 I'll offer my driver capabilities, I'm able to run a fiat 500 with 18hp J/K

Just rush godzilla! Crunch those Viper's fat butt cheeck
Old 02-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
TRUBO_89
AF Enthusiast

looks awsome!!!
isnt that the nismo z-tune that you used? cant wait to see how it all ends up
GOOD LUCK!!

still need a car...so sad
TRUBO_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
garret_the_driver
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to garret_the_driver Send a message via MSN to garret_the_driver

"And though another driver has not yet been announced, the AutomotiveForums.com team has reserved two numbers, 69 and 70, with plans of adding a second GT-R to the roster later in the season."

That caught my attention

Go Igor! I'll be cheering for ya and the whole AF team when I watch the race on speed (man I wish I could to one of these races )
"Does it really matter what you drive? Import or domestic, Inline-4 or V8, just have fun. Because in the end, after all the money you've spent and time you've put into it, driving is what it's all about."

FORUMS SHOULD NOT BE CENTERS FOR FLAME WARS!!!.
garret_the_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Igor, I'm very curious as to who'll be driving the second car, especially as -having seen what the big boys are planning for ought-six - I know that a hired gun will be a necessity to keep the team's hopes alive.

Archer and Autohaus are now factory Mopar. Caddy has girded up with Pratt & Miller's full weight. There'll be Aston Martin DBRS9's and even a Ford GT with Sammy Hagar's pockets behind it.

I want to see you do well, Igor, I really do, but this isn't a time attack against street tuners. This is SCCA Pro at its most cutthroat since the days of the Kendall/Schroeder Mustangs and Fellows/Sharp/Baldwin Camaros in Trans-Am. If Autosport and their factory Volvos couldn't catch a break in Speed World Challenge against these guys, where will that put Automotive Forums with our 5 year old out-of-production Japanese coupe?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

I don't know... I just figured that if it can still win its class at Nurburgring 24 hours the car's got to have something left in it.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Wholly different race under wholly different circumstances. Sprint races allow cars to run full rich without fuel economy worries or much fear of driveline breakage. Big power cars like the Viper and Corvette don't worry as much about tire wear, either.

The Nurburgring 24 is a testament to the bulletproof durability of the R34 GTR N1, and Mid-Ohio is a course very similar in spirit to the 'Ring, so the car may handle that track well.

However, I stand by my assessment that we at Automotive Forums are severely outgunned in this endeavour.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

We can only do our best.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

And I'll be cheering for you guys as well. Heck, I've crewed race cars before (short track open wheel, mostly) and have experience in setup, construction, maintenance, and testing.

If I'd thought you'd take the offer, I'd throw my hat in the ring to crew the Skyline, just to prove myself wrong. But that's pretty ludicrous.

However, right now I can only point out what I observe from my other role in motorsport; as a statiscian, journalist, and historian.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
And I'll be cheering for you guys as well. Heck, I've crewed race cars before (short track open wheel, mostly) and have experience in setup, construction, maintenance, and testing.
Please cheer for us. Please come out to the events and watch the cars. The more support the better.

We will do our best to make sure the AutomotiveForums.com members are taken care of.

As far as predicitions of how a first year driver, first year car, and first year crew will do - --- we will have to see.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #14
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Igor and that Skyline will kick ass.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Good Luck Igor. i hope everything goes well and you compete very well.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News