Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #1
depress the stars
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to depress the stars
bmw buying question

i'm looking around at early 90's bmw's, and i've decided i want to get either a 325is or a 318is. does anyone have any thoughts on either of these? i plan on getting a few mods, exhaust, header, cold air intake, etc. i want it to be pretty fast, but it doesn't need to be too fast, i don't plan on racing in the street scene, just friends and kids in my town and such. i'm aware the 318is has a 4 cylinder rather than 6 like the 325is, but am i able to make it somewhat fast with a few mods?
depress the stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
ec437
AF Enthusiast

Re: bmw buying question

look at the 325i and put an lsd and sport suspension in. Then a chip, maybe exhaust. I've been told to avoid pre-95 models though.

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by depress the stars
i'm looking around at early 90's bmw's, and i've decided i want to get either a 325is or a 318is. does anyone have any thoughts on either of these? i plan on getting a few mods, exhaust, header, cold air intake, etc. i want it to be pretty fast, but it doesn't need to be too fast, i don't plan on racing in the street scene, just friends and kids in my town and such. i'm aware the 318is has a 4 cylinder rather than 6 like the 325is, but am i able to make it somewhat fast with a few mods?
I have an 87 325iC convertible with 160k. They are FUN cars. I was a little worried about cost of ownership, but its really not like everyone thinks. Parts are a little more to buy, but for the most part, the engine and tranny are bulletproof. You will have to replace little peripheral parts, but the metallurgy of the major parts is incredible.

Put it this way. I paid $6000 for a prime condition car with 140k miles. New paint, decent top, new interior, stock engine. I drove it cross-country twice and fully trusted it in the middle of the desert. The compression across all cylinders is within 4% and it shows no signs of letting up. Many times 200-300k is normal for these cars.

They are not designed as a muscle car. They are designed as a high-revving car that pushes the limits of comfort, handling, and performance. They succeed in all areas but excell in all areas in moderation. They rev easily and make decent HP. They respond well to exhaust and chips, but I think you'll find that their fun is their handling. So many times over at the BMW forums new owners instantly post, "I want more power," but if you just at what we regulars post, its about braking and handling.

I own four American classics, all of which are about power, not handling. My BMW has a totally stock engine making 170 hp. Since its in a 3000-lb car it seems more than adequate, and its a pocket rocket. Stepping up to the 90s cars adds a lot of weight and not much more power. Not that they were bad cars, but they need a tiny bit more help to go fast.

Cruise on over to http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/liteforum/technical.pl and http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e30/ . These forums are mature folks who truly recognize the BMW's potential and they will give you the straight scoop on what works and what doesn't. They also don't have the, "I need sum dubz on my bim, yo" mentality that seems to happen on many of the BMW forums.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
depress the stars
AF Newbie

thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Are you looking at E30s or E36s? Either way, there great cars. Handling is awesome, great transmissions, good reliability. I'd have a hard time having much fun with the 318 because of the complete lack of power, but the 325is is simply an awesome car. By now there shouldnt be too much of a price difference between these two cars, so go for the 325i/is if at all possible.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
depress the stars
AF Newbie

e36

thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
woodsonj3
AF Newbie

I've been looking for the same (E30 or E36). The only thing I've found that might be troublesome is the automatic transmission in the 95-96 year I think. Does anyone know anymore about this? Actually I'm really wanting a manual so for me it wouldn't matter but just curious. Thanks.
woodsonj3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A