Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Pagana
AF Newbie

SuperCharger Vs Turbo

Hey pplz i just bought my self a non turbo skyline for the reson i wanna put a super charger in it , what u guyz rekon would b better for street racing , drags , 1/4 mile etc.. ? SuperCharger or a Turbo ?? So hard to choose the blowoff valve sounds soo goood haha thx guyz

Last edited by Pagana; 10-08-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Pagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
SpyderEclipseGst
AF Enthusiast

Re: SuperCharger Vs Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagana
Hey pplz i just bought my self a non turbo skyline for the reson i wanna put a super charger in it , what u guyz rekon would b better for street racing , drags , 1/4 mile etc.. ? SuperCharger or a Turbo ?? So hard to choose the blowoff valve sounds soo goood haha thx guyz

Well from what info ive gotten skylines are awd NO..? then thatll end the whole conversation on either go turbo/charger. In a awd case my opinion is to go with a turbo. To put this quite simple AWD+TURBO seems to be the best set up for 1/4 times at the track. You will launch crazy on anyone fwd and slightly have the upperhand on rwd. Your turbo/turbos should you decide a twin turbo set up, should spool madly straight off the line. You can launch at 8000 rms and have full boost from get go. full boost pushin alot more hp you could get from the super charger. why you ask, simple, with a large single or twin turbos you can cheaply raise the boost to insane levels and double the performance from the turbos SAFELY. Your street racing will follow the same path as long as the roads have little grip. I see little to no use to add a supercharger unless your pockets are hurting after getting that skyline.
SpyderEclipseGst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Pagana
AF Newbie

The skyline is actualy a rwd , u still say the turbo for rwd??
Pagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL

fdassdf
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #5
Mr2Spyder2828
AF Enthusiast

I want to know about the price difference of a total set up. turbo vx supper charger $$$$ vs $$$$$

Full system including instalation and excess parts neccesarry for it.

How does a turbo charger or Super charger blow your engine. What can you do to make sure you dont blow your engine up.

***** Sorry about my mispelled words. I dont check my spelling when I type. ******

Mr2Spyder2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelaysionl

fdassdf
yea what he said
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #7
tha_new_guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder2828
I want to know about the price difference of a total set up. turbo vx supper charger $$$$ vs $$$$$

Full system including instalation and excess parts neccesarry for it.

How does a turbo charger or Super charger blow your engine. What can you do to make sure you dont blow your engine up.
Running forced induction can damage your engine if you are running on stock internals. If you are planning on running more than 7 psi of boost on most cars, you gotta replace piston rings, gaskets, etc. because your engine will be running hotter/harder. You also risk detonation (the air/fuel mixture runs lean and detonates too early) when you are running a turbo/supercharger. This can be prevented by buying bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump (so your air/fuel mixture doesnt run lean), retarding and fine tuning your ignition timing(which you should do anyways) and/or running higher octane fuel.

As for price, a turbo setup starts cheap but can build up quick. In addition to a turbo, you need an assortment of mandrel bent pipes, a custom set of headers, an intercooler (strongly suggested), flanges and gaskets, turbo hoses and clamps, possibly new fuel injectors and fuel pump, oil line (for the turbo), and some sort of heat shielding (recommended).

Not too sure about superchargers, that aint my forte....

Geez. I WANNA TURBO NOW!

"Please try to refrain from smoking crack while typing. The literate community appreciates your restraint."

AF User Guidelines
tha_new_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

A supercharger requires four things.

A longer serpentine belt.
A supercharger designed for your manifold/plenum application.
A larger throttle body.
A more powerful fuel pump.

Superchargers do not contend with lag, and can make quite a bit of power, as well as being quite reliable. For good examples of supercharger applications, look no further than the Pontiac Bonneville or Buick Riviera. 3.8L V-6's making 240+ hp and equal torque, if not more.

However, I'm unaware of superchargers being available for RB20DE's. (the NA FR Skyline coupe engine, if I'm not mistaken.)
Old 10-09-2003, 10:29 AM   #9
LoW_KeY
AF Regular

After about 80 SC's won't be as potent as a turbo will be, granted turbos might have a little lag, but once its engauged hang on. Turbo's tend to trap higher 1/4 mile speeds.

the stock 3800's are making 240/280 tq, I have a modified one in my fiero I know the HP is roughly 300 at the wheels. Not sure on torque, either one you do will take work, but I do believe to adapt an SC will take much more.

either way if you want to turbo/sc you'll need to drop the compression some to run a higher amount of boost and as said before go through the motor so you don't blow the crap out of it. Go either way its going to get expensive.

heres a vid of a fiero with a 3800 SC modified http://www.fierox.com/speed.mov the SC whine is awesome, as I'm sure a turbo is too..
Old 10-09-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
Mellason
AF Newbie

I think by now everyone knows the different between turbo and supercharge. I think this will explain it better.

If you need big power from a smaller(or less powerfull) engine turbo is the way to go, but if a big (more powerfull) engine because of the advantages(instant boost) supercharging is the way to.

I hope this helps
Mellason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:42 AM   #11
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Regarding that short clip....... Wow..... "There's 80!"..... wow... that was pretty damn quick.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #12
SpyderEclipseGst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagana
The skyline is actualy a rwd , u still say the turbo for rwd??

Yep i still say turbo for rwd. dont you?
SpyderEclipseGst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:34 PM   #13
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

A very small turbo, yes. That would work fine. But only a small, easily spooling one.

RWD layout cars, turbochargers, and cornering have a very funny history together. It generally is one of NOT WORKING.

As an example, on which Cbass can back me up on, I cite the infamous Porsche 930 Turbo of the late 70's. One, single, large turbocharger (A KKK unit, if I'm not mistaken) made for a drastic change in the handling of the well-balanced 911. The turbocharger's characteristic was best described as a "light switch". Without careful shifting and braking techniques, you'd deal with a car that skipped from 160hp to 330hp once spooling occurred.

While in a Skyline, this characteristic may be less prevalent, and factory turbo setups are available, it still must be mentioned that RWD turbo cars have had, for about as long as they've been in existence, suspect and tricky handling.

Superchargers have more linear power and torque curves. While they may not produce the sheer power of a turbocharger, I'd still put in a call to Shorrock or Paxton for my Layla before I put in a call to Garret or IHI.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #14
Mr2Spyder2828
AF Enthusiast

I have a 1ZZ-FE engine it is a 4 banger. it is in a 2002 mr2 spyder. I was wondering what you think I should do to the engine. should I turbo or super charge it. I am leaning toward turbo charging but am woried about the cost and all the other stuff that comes with a turbo.

My Mr2 has sequential transmition. Dont know how that will work with a turbo on it.

Give me your expertice and help me out on what to do to my car.

***** Sorry about my mispelled words. I dont check my spelling when I type. ******

Mr2Spyder2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #15
Carguy393
AF Enthusiast

Something to note: While turbochargers recycle you hot exhaust fumes from your motor one of the advantages of superchargers is that they bring in the cool air from the outside of the car which is much easyier on your motor. You will also need to probably lower the compression on your motor if you turbocharge it (i think for the same reason.)

My buddy just bought a Procharger for his 98 Cobra and it sounds absolutely awesome.(Albeit my ears are still ringing from it 4 hours later)