Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
timetrax
AF Newbie

1999 sable fans not coming on long enough. PLEASE HELP!!!!

changing the ect sensor helped turn my fans on more frequent when the a/c is off. I guess the old one was bad. They will stay on for 1 min 10 seconds then go off for 2 minutes and then repeat. I've come to another conclusion, that the fans aren't coming on enough while driving. But I have no way of checking that. I get that bubbling noise, followed by overflow at cap, but if restart the car and turn a/c on for just a minute, it will stop bubbling and overflowing. WHAT is this?? ANYONE??

update: I found a temporary answer here in one of the forums. Unplug the ECT, this will turn fans on full time when a/c not being used. You have to plug it back in for the a/c and compressor to work for cold air. The heater works either way.

Now I need to find out how correct the situation. I am trying to find out what controls the time limit on the fans. I would think that the relays are just that and not time delay relays. Since the same part # relays also controls the starter.

SO! Can anyone confirm that on a 1999 Sable, there is no CCRM? ALSO, What controls the length of time that the fans stay on, when the a/c is off? I already have a new ECT installed. Would it be the fan relays themselves or the PCM? Does the PCM have to be changed by the dealer?

This is my sons car that I would to put this problem behind us.

Last edited by timetrax; 04-20-2011 at 09:48 PM.
timetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
timetrax
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 sable fans not coming on long enough. Some HELP !!!!!

Please read my original post. I need some help.
timetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
flivesay2
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 sable fans not coming on long enough. Some HELP !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrax View Post
Please read my original post. I need some help.
THere doesn't appear to be a CCRM as a module on my 98--but there is a box of relays on the fender side of the battery. My problem is the fans dont come on with the AC--they cycle with the temperature. What controls the fans on when AC is on?
flivesay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
mikey442100
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 sable fans not coming on long enough, PCM, CCRM. cooling

just joined the forum today. read a few posts about similar car, 96 Sable DOHC, and same problem, overheating. Changed thermostat and water pump, car still overheats. Car is sitting in driveway ideling and after about 20 min. water is boiling in overflow tank. have the cover off it to feel when the water heats up.

read post by "timetrax", I'm not a tard but I can't figure out several of the abbreviations he used, ect sensor and others. couple things I wanted to know, what is ect sencor and where is it located on a Duratec. I want the fans to stay on longer. I'll hook up a relay if I have to. And what do the other abbreviations mean?

I looks to me as if the water isn't circulating. The car did overheat badly about a month ago, lost all water and temp gauge pegged, pulled off highway and car stalled, wouldn't start for about a half hour. put in a couple gallons of water and limped it home. fixed the water leak, it was at the "Y" hose connector but the car has not been the same since then. Runs OK but overheats in 15 to 20 minutes.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Mikey442100
mikey442100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if your fans are coming on and its still overheating you may have blown a headgasket when you overheated it. also make sure there isn't a air bleed screw on highest point on cooling system, usually close to thermostat if its on the top of engine. if you run it completely empty it can get a air bubble by the thermostat that keeps it from opening
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
mikey442100
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
if your fans are coming on and its still overheating you may have blown a headgasket when you overheated it. also make sure there isn't a air bleed screw on highest point on cooling system, usually close to thermostat if its on the top of engine. if you run it completely empty it can get a air bubble by the thermostat that keeps it from opening
pretty sure head gasket is not blown, no steam out of exhaust and engine runs fine, no oil in water and no water in oil. t-stat is on bottom of engine between block and radiator. am going to try removing t-stat and maybe try a new cap for purge tank. thanks for reply.
mikey442100 is offline   Reply With Quote