Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
BrianLas
AF Newbie

1956 bel air

posted on the chevy site as well

Just got my 1956 Bel Air running, and am looking to paint it. I have never personally painted a car so I was looking to have someone do it for me.

Looking at a two tone blue and white, what is the minimum I should pay?
BrianLas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Exclamation Re: 1956 bel air

have you got a macco around there? there pretty good..i had my 79 malabu painted there they done good job?? if so wait until they got special going on right now it's 250.00 but thats if you do the body work.sometimes they got a 500.00 deal also.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 1956 bel air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper
have you got a macco around there? there pretty good..i had my 79 malabu painted there they done good job?? if so wait until they got special going on right now it's 250.00 but thats if you do the body work.sometimes they got a 500.00 deal also.
Yeah, Maaco is fine for a old beater, but a Maaco job will NOT enhance the value of the '56.

Get a proper paint job, it will last much longer and will add to the resale value of the car.

The amount of body work the car needs prior to painting will make a huge difference in cost. The prep, sanding, dent and rust removal is much more important than the actual painting itself.

There is also a huge variety of paint systems available these days. Old style acrylic enamel is cheap but not too durable. Go for a catalysed basecoat and clearcoat system. It will last longer.

A good paint job, including some basic body work would be approx. $2000 - 3000. Anything less than $2000 may work fine, but do your research and find out what corners are being cut to get the price so low.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
ilgoldstein
AF Regular

I know nothing about painting cars, but I do know that I would not let Maaco touch a car like yours.

If you can get a good paint job for three grand, kiss the ground and light candles. A really great paint job will cost you more than that. Shop around, read up on things. Get references and check them out before you hand the car over to someone.

You have a gem, proceed carefully to protect your value.
ilgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Smile Re: 1956 bel air

yah well that a easy $250.00 paint job would tell him where the there are blimishes are and if he want's to stick with that color of paint or if he want's to pick out another color.. then go with the atleast 6 too 7000 dollar paint job.but keep it worth more is sticking with O. E.paint with clear coat.and yes check out the 1 you going to have paint it see how other people like there car since this guy or girl can paint and if satisfied.your a lucky guy keep it nice....
Old 03-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
BrianLas
AF Newbie

I got a guy to do it for 2850. He was referred to me from a big time car colllector. He is putting on a clear coat, but I am changing the color. My biggest concern was not that I got a paint job that really enhanced the value of my car. I want a paint/body job that will make it look nice, and that is what I think I got.
BrianLas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Glad to hear that. Good luck.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Smile Re: 1956 bel air

oh you got something all right..you see any on the roads??? theres your answer..just shut your eye's and pick the color you want to put on it or look at mag's but only thing it wont be origanal color makes it worth more oringanal...but any how do what you want too there bud...

scrapper...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
er408
AF Newbie

I need help adjusting park brake and timing on 1954 bel air
er408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by er408 View Post
you got a nice car there and i haven't seen it are you trying to ajust at brakes or where the pedal you push down to set parking brake? there should be a nut under car that you screw in for tighter or back it off to make them looser? let me noe on where your at on ajusting? also it might stay on locking the back shoe because of rust or cable frey

good luck........
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by er408 View Post
There are are several online forums specifically for these old Chevys. There's also a site where you can look at the old shop manuals for these cars free. These sources have been a big help to me - I acquired a 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Town Sedan last Summer, and, have been busy learning about it, and, fixing some of its mechanical gremlins. Another source of help - go to local cruise-ins and car shows and talk to the folks who own cars like yours - they're usually a source of help as well.

Good Luck
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars