Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

66 olds 425 motor stuck

im looking for some advice..heres the scenario in a nutshell. i have a 66 olds convertible with a 425 that had a hood scoop with a hilborn scoop on the carb. the car has been in storage for a year. wrapped in a car cover and a tarp. water got into the intake manifold and carb. i pulled the carb and rebuilt it. i sucked out the water the best i could and soaked the engine in sea foam for a few weeks. i tried to turn it by hand but the motor is stuck. today i pulled the intake off...and of course theres was water sitting in 2 chambers in the heads. sucked all the water out blew it all out with air gun etc. then i soaked the rockers and heads in sea foam for awhile. motor still wont turn by hand. the upper part of the heads look brand new..they were rebuilt not many miles ago but about ten years ago. would you think stuck valve is keeping the block from turning by hand? i was trying to avoid pulling the heads if possible but it seems thats my next step. im trying to do this as cheaply as possible without having to rebuild the motor. anyone have any tips or advice to give me that might help...other than praying...cuz thats not working so far.
needless to say the hilborn is for sale and the stock hood is back on with a close to stock air cleaner. i just want to get the car running dependable again for a reliable cruiser.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: 66 olds 425 motor stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmonday View Post
im looking for some advice..heres the scenario in a nutshell. i have a 66 olds convertible with a 425 that had a hood scoop with a hilborn scoop on the carb. the car has been in storage for a year. wrapped in a car cover and a tarp. water got into the intake manifold and carb. i pulled the carb and rebuilt it. i sucked out the water the best i could and soaked the engine in sea foam for a few weeks. i tried to turn it by hand but the motor is stuck. today i pulled the intake off...and of course theres was water sitting in 2 chambers in the heads. sucked all the water out blew it all out with air gun etc. then i soaked the rockers and heads in sea foam for awhile. motor still wont turn by hand. the upper part of the heads look brand new..they were rebuilt not many miles ago but about ten years ago. would you think stuck valve is keeping the block from turning by hand? i was trying to avoid pulling the heads if possible but it seems thats my next step. im trying to do this as cheaply as possible without having to rebuild the motor. anyone have any tips or advice to give me that might help...other than praying...cuz thats not working so far.
needless to say the hilborn is for sale and the stock hood is back on with a close to stock air cleaner. i just want to get the car running dependable again for a reliable cruiser.
you could put oil in cylenders and keep trieing to turn harmontic balancer back and forth and if you do this let the oil set all night before you try balancer back and forth and it could take awhile on doing this but i've done it before and it worked.

good luck........
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Take the heads off and have a look at the cylinder walls. Standing water in cylinders for any length of time is seriously bad news. You could take some pics and post them here.

If you are lucky you just have rings that are stuck to the walls. If thats the case, losts of WD 40 and some very careful tapping on the pistons with a rubber deadblow hammer may free them up.
If not, and all the cylinder walls are corroded and slightly rough, you may have to pull the engine, drop the crank and gently tap the pistons down a little and clean up the rust with a hone.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
blkmonday
AF Regular

update....took off heads and soaked the cylinders for a few days....motor is free.was able to clean up cylinders with light sand paper. motor turns no problem now. im doing a valve job on the heads while they are off...but so far so good. thanks for the advice guys
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote