Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
LMP
AF Enthusiast

End of the road....or very near

Just bought a 2015 KIA SOrento AWD to take charge of duty for venerable '93TS AND Kia Sportage 2000. Old KIA was send to junkyard, while TS is now on storage for this winter...will see what happens next spring, but I could not drastically cut from it. It is still in workable condition and keeps its impeccable appearance, and could be used as a spare in case my son's 2000 Grand Prix has problems. However, although I had repaired a lot of minor problems during the last year, there were doubts remaining about reliability for long trips ...I would have had to replace almost all tubing, hoses, to regain confidence....so sorry...transmission kept hesitating in the morning (though OK the rest of the day), coolant kept disappearing nowhere to be found (tht , since a long time)....and other minor issues.
Well, after 23 years, tHis TS is the very best car I owned in my life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LMP For This Useful Post:
deerefeed (11-29-2016), tinkering (12-30-2021)
Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Meridivs
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: End of the road....or very near

Then maybe it deserves a complete hose & clamps overhaul

I just changed mine - the transmission cooling line was dripping fluid - looking to keep it rolling for at least a few years more.

I'm more concerned about the small electricall issues that keep popping up (now heater fan won't engage on high, just low and mid rpm). These are a lot harder to fix and predict at this age.

Either way I would always take the TS we know over any newer 10 year old minivan with design issues.
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: End of the road....or very near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridivs View Post
...now heater fan won't engage on high, just low and mid rpm). ....
Verify the high speed relay and socket wires. A common problem due to high current in HI causing melting of socket and wires.
The Following User Says Thank You to LMP For This Useful Post:
deerefeed (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I hear you LMP..I am getting pressure from the wife to replace our TS. It is running good, although there have been a few issues of late. It runs great, took it on a 800km trip last week, but it is our only vehicle, so when it goes down, we are walking. All the salesmen I have talked to have admitted that their new products will take more often and expensive maintenance than the current TS. So for now, I plan on keeping it going, until the wife finally wins out
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Meridivs
AF Regular

Smile Re: End of the road....or very near

Thank you LMP, looks like a simple issue to address from this diagram - I will look into it as soon as we get a stray of sunshine (it's winter here).

Fortunately my wife won't consider replacing the TS before its wheels would literally fell off - it was the first car she really got along with/felt good driving. If any pressure would come it would have to be me when I'll consider it unsafe to drive anymore.
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
LMP
AF Enthusiast

OK..after an 8 month "storage", (it spent the winter under the snow)...I paid the licence for the next 4 months....and will use it to carry large objects....like the fridge at the cottage that needs replacement. Its 37" vertical clearance at the gate allows for more than the 31" available from my SOrento. It will just shuttle this summer between cottage and city, under 20 miles....
Old 12-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
OK..after an 8 month "storage", (it spent the winter under the snow)...I paid the licence for the next 4 months....and will use it to carry large objects....like the fridge at the cottage that needs replacement. Its 37" vertical clearance at the gate allows for more than the 31" available from my SOrento. It will just shuttle this summer between cottage and city, under 20 miles....
Some vehicles you just don't want to sell and the 93 TS is one of them. I almost look forward to making the repairs. Maybe one with less mileage will come along, then selling this one won't be as hard.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1993 Pontiac TransSport 3.8
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport