Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
lowforslow
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1993 tbi running rich taking lots of fuel

Fixed!

Last edited by lowforslow; 09-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.
lowforslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: 1993 tbi running rich taking lots of fuel

1. So when you rebuilt the TB, you also replaced the fuel regulator? It's the diaphram looking thing with the spring.
2. Did that part look all original to you? Or was a adjustable... which would be aftermarket? If it's aftermarket & not adjusted properly, it could be too high & dumping fuel. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll try posting an image tmrw.

As far as fuel regulating, there are few parts which regulate this on this setup. The regulator (in the TB), TPSensor, MAP sensor, IAC (but more for air regulating at idle)...
3. How did the plugs look when replacing? Were they soaked in fuel? They can tell you a lot on their own.
4. Timing. Using a timing light, make sure timing is near or slightly advanced. Remember to unplug "Spout" connector prior to check or timing adjustment.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
lowforslow
AF Newbie

Fixed!

Last edited by lowforslow; 09-11-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowforslow View Post
Yes regulator replaced which was non adjustable (pretty heavy duty spring though) and also did a new fuel filter and injectors. The plugs were probably the worst plugs I've seen in a small block 350. One was literally caked from the centre electrode to the outside wall with a white build up and light build up on the rest (presuming oil) but am unsure why it has the issue right off starts. It's almost like there is a rev limiter adjusted 200 above idle and its only for 2 times usually. I'll recheck spark plugs in few days and see where it at and take notes cause i do want to do some stuff to to motor down the road I'm just concerned about the fuel consumption that seemed pretty bad.
Well to get an accurate reading of fuel consumption, an inline gauge to measure fuel pressure (I'll post an image of my own) & to recheck the new spark plugs to see if they are indeed saturated with fuel. You said the spring was very "beefy" in the regulator. Well the heavier duty the spring, the higher the fuel pressure. TBIs only require a certain amount... depending on the engine size. I'll have to look it up for yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowforslow View Post
Could it be the egr at all? I know you said the things the fuel runs from but it did drop during a vacuum test :/
Yes the EGR can affect the fuel consumption. When you rebuilt the TBI, did you make sure to clean out all those ports on the under side very well? One of those passages go to the EGR Solenoid, which then goes to the EGR Valve. You could also remove the EGR Valve and clean out the base, which on these engines, they have a tendency to accumulate carbon.

I didn't quite understand the "it did drop during a vacuum test"... are you talking about applying vacuum to the EGR Valve? If so, Then that means the diaphragm part of it is functioning.

Image1 inline fuel gauge. Permanent installation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wco43o4b7...24.35.jpg?dl=0

Image 2 for my own TBI, injectors need 10 to 12 psi but I find it runs best at 13.5. So I installed an adjustable regulator. So my gauge goes to only 15psi.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bui72zn3t4...25.04.jpg?dl=0

Image 3 typical Chevy EGR Solenoid, just for reference
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx49erkvfo...26.46.jpg?dl=0

Image 4 I'm pointing to the vacuum hose that goes to EGR Valve
https://www.dropbox.com/s/awda6843an...27.02.jpg?dl=0

Image 5 I'm pointing to the vacuum hose that goes to the TBI
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ij6hbxhuw...27.13.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-14-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added images
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
lowforslow
AF Newbie

Fixed!

Last edited by lowforslow; 09-11-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Well as far as how much vacuum the EGR holds, it shouldn't be more than 10psi on the average. Engine produces up to 7psi, I believe, for EGR... more in other areas. Yes it should hold vacuum, otherwise the diaphragm is "pooched" /punctured... similar to a balloon.

The fact that the engine choke while pulling up on the diaphragm means that at least part of it is functioning, at the base. I'd hate to just throw one in without being sure. Some of the symptoms include: Loss of power upon acceleration, smell of fuel, pinging, "bogging"... but idle may be 100% fine. (BTW, you may be able to take the vacuum pump with you to the store & compare how it operates with a new one. Again, don't go more than 10psi so you don't damage it.) If you wind up buying an EGR Valve, try to get the Delphi or AC Delco... sometimes the other brands aren't an exact match and require installing washers at the base. This can be an issue too, especially if you have trouble installing the right one. (washer type ones make the EGRs more "universal" but cause more issues)

Have you verified your timing yet? As far as rechecking the plugs, that is all dependent on how bad that cylinder is. In my findings, that extra crud comes the valve seals being toast... too dried out or hard to seal. On mine I have issues with #5... on 4.3ltr. 6 cylinder. It's a MUST for me to replace it (spark plug) every so often (maybe 2000 miles or 3200 "k's" lol), otherwise I lose some power upon acceleration & a notable miss at idle. Almost a "chug, chug, chug" lol.

In your case, I'd take a peek around 160 km or 100miles... especially until you get the feel of how bad that cylinder is. I have 2 or 3 spare plugs with me at all times. I'm a "mobile garage" so most of my tools are with me too. In your case, keep a ratchet, socket, extension or whatever you use for it, with you. Even a cheapy makeshift travel kit. I could repair it on my own truck, but I have 287,000 miles or about 460,000 km, so I don't want to waste my $$ & good parts on this engine. I'm looking for a lower mileage one to do an almost full build (head gaskets up).

BTW, I hope I interpreted your "k's" correctly... I was a little confused at 1st. Considering you're from Vancouver, I figured you meant km....

PS
I don't mind posting pics of my engine bay. Keep in mind, I have done quite a few modifications. I installed a higher output alternator to meet my power demands and installed electric fans (Puller & Pusher) to replace the water pump driven one. So please excuse the extra wires. lol. I also use the engine compartment for some light storage... funnels, washer fluid, those extra spark plugs & some relays. Lol.
I'll try to remember to take some pics tmrw... if I can't find any from my maintenance repairs on phone.

Photos:
when I did my own Throttle Body (TB) rebuild for 2nd or 3rd time... I installed the adjustable regulator this rebuild.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znf3yanicl...10.06.jpg?dl=0

Before I removed the TB... I like to log before and after. lol
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jys75qx57a...44.13.jpg?dl=0

That's all I could find.. I'll post more tmrw.

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-15-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: adding photos
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
lowforslow
AF Newbie

Fixed!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 6.38.00 PM.png (89.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by lowforslow; 09-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra