Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
SpellsingGeo
AF Newbie

Smile 1993 Geo Metro Engine timing question

1993 Geo Metro 1.0 L engine...

Question:
When the camshaft timing mark is lined up with the notch on the valve cover and the crank shaft timing marks are aligned is that TDC on the compression stroke or can it be lined up this way and actually be on the exhaust stroke of the #1 piston?

Question expounded:
If I align the two timing marks to their respective points will I be at TDC on the #1 piston compression stroke? Can I then install the distributor with the rotor in the #1 spark plug position to get the distributor properly aligned?

Thank you for those who answer this question, I see you're not a chatty bunch in here.
SpellsingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 1993 Geo Metro Engine timing question

with the timing mark on the cam gear straight up and dowel pin straight down and crank gear mark also straight up its at tdc. and the dist has a offset slot, can only go in one way
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
SpellsingGeo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
with the timing mark on the cam gear straight up and dowel pin straight down and crank gear mark also straight up its at tdc. and the dist has a offset slot, can only go in one way
Thank you very much for the information. What I meant by the rotor at #1 spark plug position is the rotor itself, the contacts should be at the number 1 spark plug wire position when you install the distributor (according to the FSM). I just wasn't sure if using the timing marks was a good alternate method to setting it at tdc using a compressor gauge (like the FSM says to do).
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Since the distributor drive cog can only go in one way if the engine timing marks are pointing at the marks then the rotor will point at #1 on the cap. You will need to use a timing light to get exact timing set once you get it running
Old 04-03-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
SpellsingGeo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Since the distributor drive cog can only go in one way if the engine timing marks are pointing at the marks then the rotor will point at #1 on the cap. You will need to use a timing light to get exact timing set once you get it running
Woah... let's not get ahead of ourselves. "once I get it running?"

LOL we'll see.

Seriously, though, I don't know why you're saying you can't pub the distributor in any other way but with the signal rotor pointing to the #1 spark plug wire. The FSM specifically tells you to make sure that the rotor is pointing at the #1 Spark Plug wire when you install it. Seems funny it would say that if you can't install it any other way.

I'll check it out.

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Crvett69
AF Moderator

take a look at the tang on the bottom of the distributor, will see that its offset and so is the slot on the camshaft. you can try to put it in any way you want to but it will only line the slot up in one position get get it to go all the way in and since thats the only way it will go in you can't have it out of position in relation to the cam. once you get it to slide all the way in you can check and will see its pointing towards #1 plug. if you don't believe me try to slide it in pointing to a different wire. i assume you have the 1.0 3 cyl engine. on the 4 cyl it has a gear you do have to line up
Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
SpellsingGeo
AF Newbie

Quote:
take a look at the tang on the bottom of the distributor, will see that its offset and so is the slot on the camshaft. you can try to put it in any way you want to but it will only line the slot up in one position get get it to go all the way in and since thats the only way it will go in you can't have it out of position in relation to the cam. once you get it to slide all the way in you can check and will see its pointing towards #1 plug. if you don't believe me try to slide it in pointing to a different wire. i assume you have the 1.0 3 cyl engine. on the 4 cyl it has a gear you do have to line up
It's interesting that the book makes you go through all the trouble of putting the engine in the TDC position in order to install the distributor. If the dizzy will only go in with the rotor pointing to the number one spark plug position.

I don't doubt you I just think it's odd they make you do all that work for nothing.

Also, what did you mean "the dowel" on the crank shaft sprocket pointing down? The "dowl" pin is the key that keeps your crank pulley installed only one way. On my engine the dowel is the timing mark on the crank shaft and it should be pointing up at the timing mark on the front of the engine.

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same cars here?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 AM   #8
Crvett69
AF Moderator

there is a locating dowel pin on the camshaft. when timing mark is straight up on cam gear the cam dowel pin is straight down. if your car has 2 slots for the dowel pin you want to use the one directly oposite the 80c mark and us the 80c mark to line up the cam gear with the tdc notch on the plate behind it

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro