Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #46
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Re: Opel (Vauxall) Kadett V8 GTR 1:10 scratch build

Heheh... I'd seen this one on ModelBrouwers already. But it looks cool in English too
So much detail and scratch work going into this
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #47
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi all,

Small update this time.

Since the rear diff was almost finished i could make a start with the struts to connect it with the chassis.

First a few pictures from the 2 pieces from the differential glued together:

And now some pictures from the connection points on the chassis, these are still rough and need some work:

And now the pictures with the differential in position (not glued).

It all lines out perfectly for the driveshafts towards the wheels and also for the shaft going towards the engine/

Last picture taken from the engine bay towards the rear diff:

I am very happy it all works out so well.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #48
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

For me its also time to give an update.

The build is progressing slowly so i waited till i had enough pictures to show.

First im starting with a modification.
On none of my referece pictures i could see a battery, i only guessed it would be inside one of the small tubs behind the seats.
But when looking at several pictures for other works i saw the "Hovemann" team changed the bottom of the left tub.
They removed a part from the bottom and welded in a stronger plate with som supports on the side.

On my model i did the same thing.

First removed the bottom part:

Closed it with 0,5mm sheet:

Made a smaller tub on top:

And added the small triangle shaped supports to the side:

Next items are Engine and Gearbox, they are still seperated from each other but to make some works easier for me to check i put some pins and holes in them so i can stick it together:

Now i could easily determine the exact position of the engine/gearbox underneath the chassis.

I glued the gearbox holding bracket in place:

On the previous picture u can also see the driveshaft, this one was too thick and i already replaced it by a thinner driveshaft.

At the other end of the shaft there is a pinion yoke, but unfortunatly this shaft was too big, so was my pinion yoke:

Next picture shows the smaller driveshaft and the pinion yoke:

The DANA differential on a Corvette C4 is originally locked in place with a bracket which is placed over the driveshaft towards the engine so it is pretty long.
For this hillclimb car that space is used to install the big exhaust so they fitted a smaller bracket which is connected through the bottomfloor with rollcage behind the driver.
I have no pictures of this bracket so i made my own construction:

On one of the previous pictures from the chassis bottom there is a square hole next to the differential, that is the spot were the bracket goes through the chassis floor.

Next items are the wheel hubs, the original item is made from an aluminium alloy.

I started with the basic shape which is a roundisch triangle tube:

Wrapped with 2 layers of 0,5mm sheet:

Then i made the parts which will be glued on the top of the cilinder, one of these parts is the bracket for the brake caliper:

To make them fit to the brake discs i added a small tube and i had already made some wheel axles which fit into the discs.

Till this moment i didn't know how long/deep these items should have been, but the fitted discs now gave me the opportunity to calculate the distance from disc to disc.
I had too shorten both wheelhubs to get to the exact measurement.
I removed the inside plate and used a razor saw to cut some of the lenght.

After i fitted some more detail to the hubs i also had to remove a small ring from the front of the hub:

And this is the end result, it still needs some sanding:

To keep the rear wheels in place there are two bars at each side of the car:

And to keep the wheels straight up there is a track rod at each side:

All parts put together without glue looks like this:

Still missing are the KW dampers, the brake calipers and some other parts , those are for the next upgrade.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #49
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi everyone,

Time for a small update, but it's more a how-to because i know lot's of u like to see how scratchers build items.

So a lot of pictures how i made the rear shock absorbers for this car.

The shocks are coil-over types which means that they exist out 2 springs.
A thin flat one at the top to absorb small gaps on the road surface and a thick one athe bottom to absorb larger holes on the road surface.

Below shows a picture from the car which i am building:

The next picture was used for reference, it is not completely the same but for taking measurements a lot better as the first picture.

To create this part i first started with a drawing so i could fill in the measurements required to fit on my model.
Important detail is also that the shock should be separatable in several parts so they are easy to paint.

The total lenght of the shock to fit my model is 35mm, with that knowledge i defided all the measurements over that lenght.

The thick springs are made of 1,5mm brass wire and the small springs are 0,5mm brass (the wire should be flat like the 1:1 but that's hard to create).

I started with gluing several thickness tube into each other so i could make a transition from 5mm tube to 2mm tube.

Cut off the ends:

And drilled 2mm holes in both tubes:

The lower part to hold the springs in place are made from 2 parts, a 0,5mm disc and a small ring cut from a styrene tube.

To create the small rings i used a circle template and a sharp knife blade:

I p[ut the rings onto the exact measurement on the tube and glued them:

Two small discs were provided with a large hole to fit over the tube:

And glued against the small ring:

Next, turned the big springs on a styrene tube with the same diameter as the shock.

Cut them to the exact size and made them flat on both sides:

Next, the piston, made from 2mm staff , provided with a small ring glued on it to prevent it from sliding completely through the 2mm hole:

Between the large and the small spring there is also a ring to keep them in place (i didnt made a picture from it)

The top of these shocks exists of a cone shaped ring.
For that i made a thick disc by gluing 2 tubes into each other and cut off a ring.

After drying i glued a 2mm staff into the disc so i could put it into a drill.
I used a scalpel the create the cone shape.

Next picture , before and after:

The 2mm tube was cut on both sides and a new 2mm hole was drilled.

Now i could assemble the spring looking like this:

I still have to drill holes in the bottom fixation from the spring and a some more detailing will be done.

The lenght is spot on:

Thx for watching, till the next time.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #50
stratos75
Loser

The small spring has a wrong side rotation. All automotive springs have a right hand rotation direction.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:57 AM   #51
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Thx for your reply Stratos,

I saw it after u made the same comment on Deathtraps build.

All parts are still seperate so i will change it to the correct direction.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:36 AM   #52
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi everyone,

This will be the last update for this year.

When i was a few weeks ago on a scale modelling event i made the engine pulleys.

At that moment i didnt made the oilpump yet so for visualization it will look like this:

Now it's allready a few weeks past the event and i made the oilpump.
Picture below is from the same manufacturer but with less connections:

The basic shap from this pump is an oval tube so that's what i started with, 8mm tube pressed oval and sanded on top and bottom.
On the sanded areas i glued some flat pieces of sytyrene and added som detail on the outside.
To close the big gaps at the front band rear i glued smaller pipes inside.

To make the fixation point i filed a gap on the outside and glued in a small piece 3mm thick styrene.

After the glue had dried i drilled a 2mm hole in the front to put in the pulley axle.

For the tension pulley i made a small frame on the front of the engine and with all pulleys and dynamo in place it now looks like this:

Most parts for the engine are ready now, only piping and some parts from the fuel injection are missing.

Next part are the exhausts from the car, 2 pipes with 2 mufflers.

I have a nice picture from the actual exhaust:

The mufflers are the same so i started with a drawing:

After i made the mufflers according to this drawing they were to big, unfortunatly but it happens...

To create the angled parts from the mufflers i made a drawing to calculate the widt of the circles wich i have to cut:

So i started cutting a circle from 0,3mm thick styrene:

And cut out the inner circle leaving the outside with the length the angled tube should be:

According to the size of the tube width which u can make, cut the ring at 1 or 2 points.
Now glue the end at the correct diameter size , once its dry enough glue the leftover part completely 1 time around so the thickness will be 0,6mm, that's tough enough to stay in that shape and sand or file it.

The straight tube is made from polyester vinyl pipe, thickend with a 0,3 mm styrene layer:

And cut to the correct size:

And glued together:

And like i said before these ones were to thick/long, so i made some new mufflers:

For the next part from the exhaust i will move to the front of the car.
I already made the 4 in 1 pipes- butt i still have to make the exhaust manifold.

From this part also an excelent piucture from the real item:

Because it was impossible to create this item on the car i made a copy from the side of the engine containing the fixation points from the manifold and the spot were it will lead into the 4 in 1 pipe:

On the upper picture already visible i made the fixation plate where the manifold is welded to.

And to give an idea of what to do, next picture shows it:

I started with the shortest pipes:

And the other two:

Manifold extracted from the "mold"":

Testfit next to the engine:

To create the maniofold from the other side it cut of the 4 in 1 piece from the mold and glued it to the left side.

Here are both manifolds, the righ one already has som bolts and nuts added:

These parts still need some sanding and filling .....

Now i could start with the exhaust pipes from the front to the rear.

For the position from the mufflers i also made a template, red line is the rear of the bumper edge and the blue lines are the center lines for the mufflers:

The two pipes were fixed with some tape to the bottom of the chassis with a spacer in between to keep a nice gap.

For making the pipes, the sample pictures from the real car helped me a lot but still it was a lot of sanding and fitting before everything connected i a smooth way:

And picture below shows the two complete exhaust pipes from front to rear:

And because its almost not possible to paint the inside of the muffler i added some metal mesh inside (like real mufflers have), so that problem is solved:

That's it for this moment, i wish everybody happy holidays and good 2023 with lots of scale modelling activities.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:57 AM   #53
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Ohh...wow, wow, wow!

Simply beautiful work, Peter - every photo is an example of what can be achieved with some simple materials, a few tools, glue and plenty of enthusiasm. I have to keep reminding myself that this is 1:10, not 1:8...

The front view of the engine is fantastic - good luck getting the belts on! Making exhaust pipes remains a pain, whatever the scale - on my earlier projects I used small-diameter aquarium pipe over a wire core to get the shape, but switching to styrene tube just seemed to be a more 'controllable' method. It's a shame that the styrene manufacturers don't make hollow bend sections in various sizes to go with the tube, box-section and strip!

Looking forward to seeing more of this in 2023. All the best!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchBuilt For This Useful Post:
Midnight Creep (12-31-2022)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #54
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hello everyone.

First update in this new year.

I started building during my holidays with something other than the car, The Recaro Race Seat.

From the original pictures i found it was model with a closed head rest to the sides so i came up with model "Recaro Pro Racer SPA Hans", a seat that only weighs 6,5 Kg.

First i started to check all the measurements;

I started this build with the back from the seat, made from 1mm thick styrene, bended as seen on the picture:

Also from 1mm thick styrene i cut out the 2 sides:

Before gluing them together i made the holes for the race harness:

Then i glued the sides to the back and glued several strips in the edges from the inside so later on i can make the outside of the set edges round.

Now first a test fit onto the chassis:

With the rollcage:

Fits perfectly.

Now i could continue with the head rest, first a drawing:

Made from 0,75mm styrene sheet, the top and back glued together:

To glue the front 0,5mm piece i supported the ends with some pieces of thicker styrene:

To make the seat wider at the top (shoulder hight) i used a heatgun and bended them backwards:

The edges on the back of the seat are rounded:

Now it was time to make the clothing from the seat, also from styrene.
The support part under the knees is always a bit thicker as the rest so first a glued in a strip at the front of the seat which supports the first "cloth":

The small cushions are made fromn 2mm thick pieces filed into shape:

To give the seat a ridge along the outside edge i glued a 1mm square strip:

On the inside to simulate the thickness of the cloth i glued 1,5mm square strips along the inner edge and two pieces with a gap for the harness:

I used flower and superglue to fill up the sides for a big part.
The harness holes in the top of the seat are also made in the headrest:

With greenstuff i filled up the rest and smoothed it with some filler:

The headrest was then glued to the seat and the edge between them on the side were filled up with greenstuff:

I also made the seat brackets:

And this is the seat on his future position:

The seat still needs some work but that will be after a layer of primer which will not be shortly.

Thx for watching, till next time.
Mofetudo (04-15-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #55
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi all,

Its been a while since i made a new post but due to a sad family affair in january the build stopped for some weeks.

I started slowly and focussed on the interior parts.

First the fire extinghuiser which is on the co-driver floor.
The 1:10 scale diameter is 13mm butt my largest pipe is only 10mm, so i added a few layers of 0,3mm styreen to get to the desired diameter.

Both ends were closed by inserting smaller pieces of tube at each end till the last tube was 3mm.

At one side the 3mm tube was kept long to put it in a drill.
Sanded both sides in the desired shape and finally cut the last tube.

I closed the open ends with 2 small 4mm discs (4mm hole drilled)

This is the result:

Next item; the oil reservoirs for the brakes and clutch, these reservoirs are installed inside, against the bulkhead in front of the driver.

I started with cutting some small rings from an 8mm tube and some discs which fit perfect inside the ring.

I added 1mm half round pieces to the edge of the discs.

From 0,3mm styreen sheet i cut 3 discs of 9mm wide and glued them on the bottom of the discs.

The reservoirs were quite simple made from some tube and discs:

All three added to a frame finished with some small nuts:

The chassis rear wheel arches will also have to be closed, i choose to put these parts on the chassis, right now the parts are straight on the outside butt they will have to be rounded like the pencil line on the far arch to fit against the body:

In the right front of the interior there is the oil drum for the dry sump system.
I already made the drum in an earlier post, this drum gets really warm so they protected the drum wit a carbon box around it to shield it of from the rest.
In the picture below on the right side:

This is the drum which i already made:

And with the new cover:

The lid can be taken off:

Next part to build are the pedals, in this car they installed a pedal box looking a bit like this one:

I started making the box parts and the straight parts from the pedals.

Next i made the gas pedal, this one is with a cable atttachement.

I glued the box together and used a brass tube to stick through the box and the pedals:

The brain (computer) from this car is next to the driver, its a box with a lot of switches and fuses on the outside, u can see it on one of the previous pictures.

I started with a box and some 0,3mm panels which will be the switch and fuse board:

The switches are on the 1:1 car 2cm high and 2cm hex screw at the bottom,

i made the bottom from 2,5mm round styreen tube squeezed in a hex plier.
On top of that i glued a 1,2mm disc, also cut from a tube.

The switch lever was made from 0,5mm tube, rounded at one end, the whole panel is not finised yet but looks like this:

I made the battery for this car, this is a light weight battery which is positioned in the left tub behind the driver.
Example:

My scratched item:

And for the last item i used some AN fittings ,which i ordered some weeks ago, to put on the engine.

Thats all for now, see u on the next update.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #56
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi all,

next update is about the front suspension.

The front corvette C4 suspension look like this:

The upper arm is replaced by an fully adjustable arm which u can see in the next picturte:

I was able to finf some drawings from the original knuckle, this made it more easier.

I scaled them to 1:10 so i could copy items onto styrene:

I'm using a led panel to draw the items onto the styrene.

From the above picture the items drawn with the red pen need to be 2mm thick and to make the cut easier i made them out of 1mm thick styrene plate.

So i need 2 exactly shaped items, to do that i rougly cut the 2 items and drill 2 holes in them to fix the both parts together.

Because i need them for the left and right side i made 4 pieces:

Now they all can be shaped ass 1 piece.

Next item will be the blue part on the drawing.

Again this part also 2mm thick, same method as the previous one.

Rougly cut:

Holes drilled:

And fixed together:

Both parts left and right glued together:

On the top side from the knuckle the arm is angled, made from several thin layers styrene:

The pivot points are made from rounds cut with my plier, glued together and shaped with a file while turning them on a drill:

The bottom pivots glued in place:

And on below picture the top pivot and some detailing are done:

For the steering arm also a pivot was made and glued to the knuckle arm:

To fix the front wheels to the knuckle i needed to make an axle.

Same way as i made the rear axle's but a bit shorter because the front discs have less depth:

To fix the axle's to the knuckles i drilled holes in both of them of 3mm wide:

This will fit a 3mm tube, with the axle attached i could even fix it with a small screw, that way it will still turm without any problems:

I then made a start with the adjustable upper arm.
Pictures are plenty on the internet:

I started with making all the small components:

And partially glued together:

And after glueing this all i found the arm was too short, so i had to do them again with some longer arms.

Final part was making the front discs like the original.
I only drilled the fixing holes in them (5) but the actual disc has 10 holes, so i drilled 5 more holes but not completely through so i still would know which are the correct fixing holes for the axles:

That's it for now.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #57
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.

I'm a little behind with my updates so here's the first continuing were i left off.

Like i said the first upper suspesion arm was too short so here u can see the difference in lenght:

In my previous post i was also busy with the brake discs and now i have them i could make the calipers.

The front brake calipers are from Wilwood, 6 piston types, here a picture from the internet:

From these Wilwood calipers are also some nice drawings on the web which i used to create them in styrene:

First i started with a drawing of the front wheel to see how much room i would have to fit the calipers on the brake discs inside the wheel:

There's not much space inside the wheel but my guess that will be the same as for the real caliupers for this car.

I scaled the drawing from the caliper to the correct size and used a led backlight plane to copy the base from the caliper onto 0,5mm styrene:

And cutting some small rounds of styren with my pliers and adding detail this is the result:

Next this was to check how the calipers would connect to the wheel hub, since the used brake discs are much laerger as the standard Corvette item.

Heres a picture from the disc with caliper fitted on the wheel hub, as you can see there is a big gap between the caliper and the connection points at the hub.

This gap was probably also on the real car and there are standard solutions to fit them with extension brackets like the picture below:

So i did some measurements and made some brackets:

Now the front calipers are finished i went on with the calipers on the rear of the car.

Normally u would think these calipers are easier in shape because they have much less pistons inside but the problem with the ones on this car is that they have cooling ribs on the outside:

I started the build of these calipers with the cooling ribs made from 0,5mm styrene parts:

All glued together:

Used a small file the make the shape on the outside:

And used the side of a large file to open up the inside:

Then i made connections parts, piston cilinders and brake pads:

test fitting on the rear brake disc:

This now only needs some brackets and som smaller details.

End of this update, see u on the next one.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:30 AM   #58
Midnight Creep
AF Newbie

Hello everyone,

Time to show some progress in this project.

Last time i creacted the brake calipers, now i will continue with the suspension arms at the front.

I started with a drawing and some measurements....

And started cutting the triangle parts from styrene....

The "end" parts i made as single parts because they will not be i a straight line
with the wishbones.

The "thickness" of the wishbones were made from square staff..

Ther mounting points to the chassis were made from round staff...

I also made a promise to myself to start with some paint spray works just to keep my mind set and give the build some progress cto continue.

Started to paint several parts with grey primer from ZERO paints.
These are mostly all engine and exhaust parts.

Painted them all black in preparation for the final metallic silver and chrome finishes...

The base coat for exhaust manifolds is done with paint coming from a Molotow Chrome paint marker, thinned with airbrush cleaner.

After the chrome paint the weld lines were covered with small pices of tape and i used "steel metallic" from Humbrol to paint the darker areas.
I used transparant yellow and blue to make the heat stains on the manifolds.
Now the small tapes from the welds were removed and blend in with some steel metallic paint.

The engine was sprayed with several colors from Humbrol no, 90, 91 and 99.

The cam covers were sprayed semigloss black and the other details were pianted with black and or chrome.

With the manifolds temporary placed:

The DANA rear axle was also painted in metallic and colored with several Humbrol colors:

Thats it for now, thx for watching.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:17 AM   #59
AAlmeida
AF Regular

Talent meets skill in this masterpiece!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports