Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
vexorg
AF Newbie

Skyline Ken & Mary 2Dr

Hello everyone, and happy new year. I know it's a bit late but better late then never. Last year was when I seriously got back into scale modeling and was able to complete five cars. The first couple took a maybe a year in total to complete. Between getting new tools, like an air brush, and learning how to use them added a lot of time to the build, learned lots and still learning.

This year I'm hoping to get one done a month for a total of 12. If I can't get that many done I really should stop buying new kits as I might never get them all done

Onto the first build of 2018:

Skyline Ken & Mary 2Dr - Aoshima 42656

Going to try something new and try out this series of old JDM cars that have been modified.

The body needs a bit of work. The hood has a gap around it that I used some putty to fill in. The logo on the back needs to be removed so the spoiler can fit snug to the body.

Like the profile.

Primed and light sanding.

The colour is hard to capture in the pics, more purple then blue. I used some nail polish as base paint and boy did not not cover very well. Took about 10 coats to get a nice even coverage. Thought I might run out of pain but just had enough. Maybe next time use a pearl colour I'll put down a base of silver first to help with the coverage.

Cleared and had a bit of orange peel to deal with.

vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Skyline Ken & Mary 2Dr

Nice start, and lovin' the colour.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
vexorg
AF Newbie

Yay, another update as always it's a bit late, just wanted to post something to let those know that follow my builds that I'm still alive.

After sanding down the orange peel with 1500 and then 4000 grit wet/dry sand paper. realy hard to get a good pic of the body.

Onto the polishing, used some automotive polish, deep scratch removal and it came out 90% finished. Now to decide if it worth going to the next step to remove the remaining scratches or just just go onto the wax...

Next update real soon I promise.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
vexorg
AF Newbie

Little more progress.

The wheels are one piece and done in shiny chrome. I want to do the spokes in a gun metal colour so I had to mask off the rims.

Also at the same time I'm going to do the front and rear ends in the same gun metal.

Came out pretty good.

Now on the bumpers and a new product being used for the first time. After reading about it I got some Molotow chrome and sprayed it. The stuff is weird, very very mirror finish. I did one real thick coat and came out real nice. Next time I'll use a little more air pressure, maybe 15psi... Made to let it dry for a couple days. Only real down side is you have to be careful touching it as fingers prints happen easily.

Also did some pieces from the next model too, just ignore the top parts for now.

For the front and rear ends I tried to mask the chrome parts off but that was just too tedious and tried brushing the chrome and it kinda worked...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
circuitR
AF Enthusiast

Looking good! I have just got some molotow, but only use it as a touch up pen or for small details.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
vexorg
AF Newbie

Been too long for an update, I'm trying to get at least one night a week to work on my hobby.

Some BMF around the windows and other shiny bits, looks I forgot to do the door handle.

All the shiny bumper bits coloured with clear red and orange for the lights. Head lights installed, fitment was a bit loose.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Looking good!!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #8
vexorg
AF Newbie

Seems while get lost in building I forget to take some photos. Well things are all done now and have the finished photos...

It was bit of a weird interior build. The door panels are glued onto inside of the body. The same with the dashboard, did not fit very well against the glass.

Thanks for following my build. Getting better at each one. Onto the next one.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
afxracing
AF Enthusiast

Strange you choose to put the larger wider wheels on the front.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Niro750
AF Regular

Great work, love the colour.

Don't pressure yourself to build X ammount a month etc... It unless you are joking, it ends up putting you off. I have so little time to build, I haven't built a car in ages but I've bought a good few. I just try to plod on and not pressure myself as having kids means I have no time to build but kids are more important, plus soon, they too may build with me.
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
vexorg
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afxracing View Post
Strange you choose to put the larger wider wheels on the front.
After taking a closer look at the photos I thought you may have been right about me putting the wheels on the wrong place and had to check.

This image shows a better angle and the fatter wheel is on the back.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
vexorg
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro750 View Post

Don't pressure yourself to build X ammount a month etc... It unless you are joking, it ends up putting you off. I have so little time to build, I haven't built a car in ages but I've bought a good few. I just try to plod on and not pressure myself as having kids means I have no time to build but kids are more important, plus soon, they too may build with me.
Ya your right about trying to get so many done. Just trying to force myself to to my hobby more then sitting on the couch and making my butt bigger.

My next project is already about 75% complete and the two after that already have the bodies painted and sanded. Figure if I'm going to spend the time setting up the paint booth and tools mind as well do a few things at the same time. The little things like BMF and detailing take the most time. As I do more and get better at it I also get quicker.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
iliasbass
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro750 View Post

Feeling about the same! My son is about 3 years old and I can't wait to see him beside me building a car, but I have to wait few years!!!
iliasbass is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street