Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Scanners and Diagnostic Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Scanners and Diagnostic Tools Discussions about Scanners/Diagnostic Tools such as the MT-2500, Snap On and other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 09:36 PM   #1
WOODY367
AF Newbie

Help pick my new scan tool

Looking for a scan tool to maybe use with my laptop must have a large screen.. Would like to do mode 6 and live data, the more options the better as I want to learn how to diagnose. Mainly Ford and GM. I was looking at the THINKDIAG2 but do not know how good it is. Was also told to look at LAUNCH as it has free updates and would rather not have yearly subscriptions. I am a DIYer and it is mainly for myself and family/friends. I need bright large screen for my failing eyes. Would like to be around $200. i am replacing a basic code reader I know I am looking for alot for a little. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
WOODY367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Help pick my new scan tool

I am also a DIY'er who likes to not have to rely on shops for much of my vehicle service. Years ago I had an OTC Genisys scan tool but did not appreciate that pretty much every option was expensive and updates cost more than some of their competitor's entire tools. When I bought a different vehicle that would require an update, I instead opted for an Autel DS708 scan tool. The DS708 was one of their early "professional" offerings and while it had some quirks, it was very powerful and included software for EVERY system and just about every make available world-wide, plus updates were free for 3 years (at the time). By the time my free updates expired, I was ready to upgrade again anyway. I had read good things about Launch but ultimately decided to go with another Autel (906BT) based on my prior positive experience, features, and cost.

The tools I've looked at were quite a bit higher than the $200 price range so I'm not sure how feature-rich Autel or Launch is at that price, or how competitive they may be with each other. But I can say I've been pleased with the Autel tools I've used (also including a TPMS programming tool). So if you find an Autel and a Launch that seem to be comparable to one another but the Autel is much less expensive, I would not hesitate to go with the Autel. But do pay attention to the updates. With my scan tool updates are free for 1 year, but then there's an associate cost for subsequent updates. But with the TPMS tool lifetime updates are included at no additional cost. So maybe updates are included with their lower-priced units?

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
WOODY367 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
WOODY367
AF Newbie

Thank you Rod, In LAUNCH I am looking at the CRP129E. It is in my price range, has free lifetime updates, just wish the screen was bigger for my eyes as I am losing my sight. I like the AUTEL MK808 but was out of my rage, plus you have to pay for updates. With these was a dongle that did all that and was on my laptop that I could afford.

This all started trying to figure out my 04 F250 5.4l runs rough at start up tor like 1min and then runs fine. It has codes PO304, PO455 and PO315. Last fall had the same issue so I put a new MOTORCRAFT coil on #4. and seemed to go away. Now it been back since spring. Could it be #4 injector leaking while sitting? Figured a more advanced scanner then my basic code reader could help figure this issue out.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

In general I'd say having a more advanced scan tool can always offer some help, but I'm not sure how much it will help to track down the specific codes you are pulling. I suppose you might be able to determine if the issue is related to a lean or a rich condition which could help. But the P0315 and P0304 may be related. Maybe the CKP sensor is intermittent or just spaced too far away from the crankshaft pulley and contributing to the misfire. Although I would expect more of a P0300 random misfire if the issue were an intermittent CKP sensor. And on Fords a bad CKP signal will often cause stalling or a no start condition.

The P0455 code for an EVAP system leak is probably not causing a driveability issue but will need to be fixed if you are required to pass emissions testing. I'm not sure a fancier scan tool will help you much with that issue. A smoke machine or old-fashioned visual inspection may be what's needed for that one.

-Rod
Old 10-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
WOODY367
AF Newbie

Thank you again Rod. What are your thoughts on the LAUNCH CRP129E? Like I said wish the bscreen was bigger. Do you know of a good BT unit to work with a laptop or maybe a tablet not hooked to a service? Bob
Old 10-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

That looks like a pretty nice tool for the price, but it also depends on what you are expecting to do with it.

I don't really know of a full-featured bluetooth unit that will work with multiple brands. If you were only interested in Ford, then an ELM327 with Forscan would work well. There may also be similar programs for GM products, and if so, you might end up with less of an investment if you were to pick up an authentic ELM327 BT dongle and purchase Forscan and whatever for the GM (if it exists). If you don't expect to use the ABS, SRS, or transmission scanning functions, then an ELM327 with Torque (assuming you have an Android phone or tablet) would probably suit your needs for a minimal expense. If you want to be able to program new keys and keyfobs, then you'll need to spend a bit more.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Scanners and Diagnostic Tools