Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

Paint help needed!

I've been trying to paint some silver, using duplicolor spray cans. Duplicolor primer sanded with 2000 grit. I keep getting a sort of grainy texture that is visible after clear & polishing. I tried sanding just the color just to see if it would smooth out but it doesn't. I've tried 3 silver colors so far, & the smoothest finish was with a very heavy, fine metallic (vw reflex silver) but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I test sprayed a can cap & it came out nice, but over a primed body it ends up grainy again. Air temp is 70-75 degrees & humidity is 15-20%. I've warmed the cans up slightly before spraying too.
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Even very light coats is doing it...

And after sanding & polishing...
corvettekid_7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
914joe
AF Regular

Re: Paint help needed!

I'm a silver car guy Duplicolor is a tough color to lay without being grainy. They changed their formula a few years ago... Befor that there was a ford silver I would use that seemed to have the finest particles and layed down the best. Since then I've used Tamiya paints... Nice thin layers lay smooth. I build 1/43rd so the flake and particle size is important. My favorite Silver is Tamiya gloss aluminium.

here's a pic of my last sanded 1000 befor final coat

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

If you are hell bent on using rattle cans, use Tamiya spray silver. Problem solved. You are using paint intended for a 1:1 car, and it's likely also causing some amount of plastic etching even under the primer. The primer probably started the etching, so after it is sanded, the next coat of paint, and especially clear, and bingo...the texture re-appears. Using a sealer coat can help, so if you are bound and determined to use Duplicolor primer and color, get a can of sealer as well, it might help.

But honestly, if you want a really nice silver finish, either get Tamiya spray or start using an airbrush with decanted Tamiya spray or Mr. Hobby #8 silver.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

Thanks! That answers a few things. I use duplicolor mainly because it is locally available. I've noticed lately having a harder time using it though. I'm going to have to look into the tamiya paint for this upcoming model...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

The problem wasn't your preparation. It was the paint itself. They simply don't have fine enough flakes for what you want. For the best in scale silver finishes use an airbrush and use Gunze #8, Finishers Fine Silver, or Model Master Non Buffing Metalizers. Certain Zero paint silver's are also in scale too.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

I test sprayed a can cap & it came out very nice, but then I sprayed a spare body & it became grainy & almost wrinkled, so I think the paint is attacking the plastic. I've had this happen slightly with solid nonmetallic colors before too, but was able to sand it smooth. I also sprayed a test body a second time with the very metallic vw reflex silver & it looked smooth (although too much metallic for scale), but by then it would be too many layers of paint.
I may have to look into an airbrush. I just hate to have to mail order every time I need paint...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

...I painted a scrap hood. Masked half off & used primer sealer , then painted the whole hood (leaving 1/2 bare plastic). There was definite wrinkling on bare side, & only slight graininess on the side with sealer. Then I sprayed the body again, which came out very smooth, but by then it had too many paint layers built up to actually use.
Anyways, just thought I'd share...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling