Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
KC27
AF Newbie

3 quick questions on primer & TS paints

Hi all,

I am part way through a build of Williams FW14B. When I was painting the body late last year I was using Halfords primer from the can, then Tamiya TS Camel Yellow and Blue.

Now the weather is poor I have been painting various parts using Vallejo primer and revel aqua colours, both through airbrush, into a spray booth which is extracted/vented to outside. I also use a 3M respirator.

Now I want to finish painting the body, so need to use Tamiya TS cans again.

My questions:
1. If I use Vallejo primer can I spray Tamiya TS on top? Or will it damage the primer?
2. Can I use tamiya TS inside if I spray into the spray booth or is this a bad idea?
3. Does anyone know of airbrush acrylics which are the same colours as Tamiya TS cans. Not for this car, but so I can avoid the issue for my next build - MP4/6. I've searched high and low for a fluro red acrylic.
I don't fancy spraying Zero paints or or the clean up chemicals. Prefer to stick with acrylics.

Thanks very much.
KC
KC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: 3 quick questions on primer & TS paints

1. I have never used Vallejo primer. But if it is acrylic/aqueous/water based, I would expect TS to eat it.

2. That depends entirely on your ventilation and house setup. If you have good ventilation and a room you can close off after painting, it might be possible. You might have to experiment by painting a quick, small part, and seeing if the fumes are problematic elsewhere in the house. Personally I have a basement that (in theory) I could paint in and then shut off. But in practice, the intake for the HVAC is 3 meters from my paint booth. So I simply cannot spray lacquers when the weather is not nice enough to open windows.

3. No line of acrylics is going to match TS color for color. But that's not to say for any given color you may need there isn't an acrylic option for it somewhere. (Except perhaps for fluorescent red....)
KC27 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
bradfordian
AF Regular

Use zero paints and do away with these probs.you wont get right color in acrylics all the time and halfords primer is sloppy like rubbery primer
bradfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradfordian For This Useful Post:
KC27 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

1: Not a good idea. Tamiya TS will eat the Vallejo primer.

2: Yes, I do it all the time with no smell and no problems. As long as you have a good spray booth that does it's job then you won't have any problems either.

3: You'll never get any line of paints that matches another line. The best you can hope for is something similar to fit your needs. I really don't see your issue with using TS cans or Zero if you have an appropriate spray-booth with extraction what's the problem to spray them..?? Also with clean-up. Any paint that's airbrushed I clean in the same way, with some thinner sprayed through the brush. Weather it's acrylic, TS or Zero it's the same method of clean-up and takes the same amount of time which is usually a matter of seconds..
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
KC27
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I gave it a shot and can smell just a little bit of fumes afterwards.

Might put the lacquer cans on hold until weather is better.

KC
KC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Your base primer should be lacquer if using lacquer paints. it's probably best to use lacquer primer in all cases anyway considering it's durability. I would also recommend especially if you are using metallic paints; to wet sand the primer and get it super smooth. 2000-2500 grit paper. 3M also makes a 3000 grit sponger paper which is perfect for car body use. You will have the orange peel down in no time.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Kid View Post
3M also makes a 3000 grit sponger paper which is perfect for car body use.
Interesting! Where do you get it?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
Interesting! Where do you get it?
I can get it at autozone locally in NC. Some stores have it some don't. The packaging looks exactly like their sand paper. But it is thicker, can be wet sanded or dry sanded. It really speeds up the prepping process. You can get buy with that and duplicolor primer instead of zero or tamiya if you have to for whatever reason.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
thijs37
AF Newbie

Ehm..like all new products! Try them in a Sample piece....However my knowledge of Vallejo is that its water-base a Big No No! when using Tamiya TS
thijs37 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling