Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

99 T&C Power Brake Booster Squeal?

When I apply the brake I sometimes get a very loud high pitched squeal only when the engine is running. It seems like a vacuum leak around the brake booster. I applied the brakes and while it made the noise, sprayed cleaner around the hose, edge of the booster and any connectors but the noise did not change. If you look at the boot inside that the input rod goes thru it is cracked/broken.
The booster is working as I run the van a minute, turn off pump the brakes to bleed the vacuum, hold half way down and start the van. The pedal moves down when the van is started.
Is there a way to make sure the booster is the cause of the noise?
If the booster fails I still have brakes correct? I want to drive this to MI and then change the booster while I can get help from my brothers and it is not so blasted HOT.
Thanks
Steve
SlimJimRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

Re: 99 T&C Power Brake Booster Squeal?

Made it to MI without any problems. On the way when we were at a light you could hear a hissing under the dash when there was no squeal noise.
Replaced the power brake booster and not more squeal. Very much a pain to get it out. I used my 1996 Chrysler T&C service manual to figure out what to remove, it was still fairly accurate on the 99. But there is no room to manuver, so it took persuasion to get it out and back in.
SlimJimRD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
booster , brake , noise , squeal
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager