Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
cheezer8
AF Newbie

2005 mustang 4.0 wont run

I have a 2005 Mustang 4.0 V6. last week we were cruising along at 40 mph and the car just stalled without warning. I let it coast for a mile or so , when we came to a stop I tried to fire up again and it started but only ran for 3-5 seconds and it stumbled and stalled. I’ve tried fire it up several times since and it does the same thing. I can hear the fuel pump engage each time I turn the key.
I’ve tried several things:
 Checked the relay
 Check all the wiring and connections
 Installed new MAF sensor
 Installed new fuel rail pressure sensor
 Installed new fuel pump driver module
 Cleaned throttle body
I guess the next thing would be a new fuel pump???
Does anyone have any other ideas?
cheezer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 mustang 4.0 wont run

No codes? Try a shot of starting fluid. If it won't run for a second or two on that, then it isn't fuel system related but spark. Make sure the starting fluid is getting in, look up the best way to use it as some air filter systems will block it from getting inside the engine and make you come to the wrong conclusion of which direction to head.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
cheezer8
AF Newbie

It will run for 3-5 seconds.
cheezer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #4
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

did you figure it out my van started this, i was thinking fuel pump but if you can hear it then it's working but look at the throttle position sensor if it's bad it won't know if your pressing the throttle or not..another way is to check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail or it could be a clogged fuel filter ....so many things this could be you could just wind up chasing your tail throwing money at it. see if you have a cheap mechanic around and see what they figure it could be...were there any lights that came on like the CEL?
Old 04-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

hey cheezer,
65 comet and 'stang driver are right..
with all the future gizmos, electric computers, etc.. it still comes down to it is an
Internal Combustion Engine;-- 3 things:
air, fuel, spark..
pop the air filter out; clogged air filters can sometimes hold everything from working..
fuel; you said you can 'hear' the pump, but it doesn't mean it's pushing the right psi;
and if it is, again, a clogged fuel filter can stop a car in its tracks.. allow a little fuel to pass to crank engine, and no power/die again..
spark; probably not problem, if it fires, then dies..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

with mine it was like it was firing warning shots and will only do it when it's warn, if i drive to a store and come out it sometime does the 3-5 sec run and die,sometimes it is stumbling over itself for about 30 seconds like its starving for fuel then it will lean out and run fine... i did have this issue with a plymouth and it lasted about a year then it left me stranded on the side of the road....i just wish they made the pumps easier to get to and you know a pump will only go out when it's full or your about to go on vacation with the vehicle or in between pay periods...but good luck in your search.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis