Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #196
Lissa250
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Alclad II vs. Kosutte Gin San...bye, bye Alclad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Pacheco View Post

Tons of Kosutte Gin San have arrived at RainbowTen.

Thanks! Who or What is Rainbow Ten and How Do We Contact Them?
Lissa250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #197
Dexter Models
AF Regular

Re: Alclad II vs. Kosutte Gin San...bye, bye Alclad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa250 View Post
Thanks! Who or What is Rainbow Ten and How Do We Contact Them?
You use this link : http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/cgi-bin/...=4933550002513 , and you follow instructions to order
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dexter Models For This Useful Post:
Lissa250 (10-07-2011), Palle (10-08-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #198
Unforgiven2008
AF Newbie

OK, I know this post has been kicked around since 2003, but I have'nt hear'd anybody using dupli-color paint as a base, so I did some test with this KGN today, I used gloss black, then cleared it, and got not so happy result so I went another route, and got near perfect results, I used dupli-color metal spec silver, then cleared, had I taken the time to smooth the paint, it would of been perfect, chrome woohooooo, yes I read the post all the way thru, so if you can get your hands on Dupli-color metal spec silver, give it a shot.....
Unforgiven2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #199
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Unforgiven2008 - I have used KGS over several different paint coatings - from AlClad Black enamel to various colors of grey/silver - to aluminum - silver - to gold/silver to metalic black and have produced different shades of chrome - silver effect finishes. The only thing I haven't been able to fine is a clear that will cover it to protect it without losing the metal chrome shine effect. I am going to try House of Kolors "Cosmic Chrome" and see how well it comes out. HofK has several metal finishes - copper - gold - aluminum - chrome - silver - brass. - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #200
Lissa250
AF Newbie

Can't wait to hear how House of Color does. I have several HOC paints and bases. I also wonder how Model Master Metalizer Lacuer Aluminum Plate does. That's what Donn Yost recommends as a primer for everything in his video on airbrushing. But I'm also going the gloss black route with this magic powder.
Lissa250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #201
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Lissa250 - There's a company in California called Coast Airbrush that sells 4oz - 120ml cosmic chrome colors pre mixed and ready to airbrush for around $15 each for the 6 metalic chrome finishes they have - John
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
Lissa250 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #202
Unforgiven2008
AF Newbie

Sorry, I haven't tried a clear yet, and I forgot to mention, that i did buff, and powder the black 3 times, it does look great for black chrome, and the metal spec silver once, and it covers the specs of metal flake, I did however wonder about the different base's that could be used, giving the KGN a nice hue, thanks for that Lil bit of a tip, I'm gonna try it......
Unforgiven2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #203
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Unforgiven2008 - just a word if you haven't read the entire thread - some of the guys say to be sure to use the KGS over "enamel paint" - they claim there are problems with it going over lacquers etc. I have only used it over enamels so let us all know if it works for any other base paints - also there was a guy that built a Tamiya SLR mercedes/mclaren on this modeling forum and did it with a metalic silver base coat and then the KGS and it looks just like a chrome body - perfect reflection - John
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #204
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Unforgiven2008 - just a word if you haven't read the entire thread - some of the guys say to be sure to use the KGS over "enamel paint" - they claim there are problems with it going over lacquers etc. I have only used it over enamels so let us all know if it works for any other base paints - also there was a guy that built a Tamiya SLR mercedes/mclaren on this modeling forum and did it with a metalic silver base coat and then the KGS and it looks just like a chrome body - perfect reflection - John
Honestly, that probably was an enamel silver base. It really won't work nearly as well on other types of paint. It doesn't "stick" as well for some reason (softness of the paint?). I typically use Testor's Enamel black rattle cans that have been heated. Works best IMHO.
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #205
Brandon Miller
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Miller

OK I have a question about this stuff. Does anyone know what it is made from or what's in it? I have a brand new jar of the stuff but have not used it yet. I'm an engineer and we were looking at this stuff at work. It kinda bothers me and another engineering colleague as to what this powder actually is. It is super fine. I would think if you inhaled any of it, it would not be good for your lungs. Just something I'm throwing out there. If anyone know what this stuff is made from, please chime in.
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #206
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Miller View Post
OK I have a question about this stuff. Does anyone know what it is made from or what's in it? I have a brand new jar of the stuff but have not used it yet. I'm an engineer and we were looking at this stuff at work. It kinda bothers me and another engineering colleague as to what this powder actually is. It is super fine. I would think if you inhaled any of it, it would not be good for your lungs. Just something I'm throwing out there. If anyone know what this stuff is made from, please chime in.
I'm pretty sure that's why they give you a mask and gloves in the box the stuff comes in...

I also think that's why it's not sold in the US. I could be wrong, but...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #207
Brandon Miller
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why they give you a mask and gloves in the box the stuff comes in...

I also think that's why it's not sold in the US. I could be wrong, but...
I'm aware of the deal with the gloves and mask. I would still like to know what the stuff is made out of. It not being sold in the states ought to be a clue that it could be nasty stuff.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #208
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Miller View Post
Brandon - I'm sure it's toxic otherwise it would be widely available around the world and the USA - it appears the company that makes it only does small batches and small packaged quantities (they say it goes a long way) - I've bought 2 small containers of it a while back and still am working on the first can. I lose some when I apply it but still it doesn't take much - sticks like tar when applied properly so I always wear nitrile gloves and a respirator (not those cheap white masks) although they say it can be washed off skin by soap and water - I'm not willing to test it on my skin - I would imagine it would stick in the respiratory tract quite well too. If any one can read the small Japanese writing please let us know if it has a contents list. Also I just received a small jar of "metal powder" that I got from Taiwan off "Evilbay" that appears to be the same or similar stuff - I will get it translated - John
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #209
Brandon Miller
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Brandon - I'm sure it's toxic otherwise it would be widely available around the world and the USA - it appears the company that makes it only does small batches and small packaged quantities (they say it goes a long way) - I've bought 2 small containers of it a while back and still am working on the first can. I lose some when I apply it but still it doesn't take much - sticks like tar when applied properly so I always wear nitrile gloves and a respirator (not those cheap white masks) although they say it can be washed off skin by soap and water - I'm not willing to test it on my skin - I would imagine it would stick in the respiratory tract quite well too. If any one can read the small Japanese writing please let us know if it has a contents list. Also I just received a small jar of "metal powder" that I got from Taiwan off "Evilbay" that appears to be the same or similar stuff - I will get it translated - John
Thanks John
Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #210
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs down Re: Alclad II vs. Kosutte Gin San...bye, bye Alclad!

You'd probably have to do a chemical analysis to be sure, as reporting in Asian countries is suspect at best. I'd say there must be some level of lead in there, as well as a lot of graphite.

Plus, you know when the makers warn you about its dangers, It's pretty nasty...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling