Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
MaxSE
AF Regular

Future Floor wax

has anyone ever used future floor wax to polish their models?
and here's an amateur question: what's cutting compound?/ compound are they both the same thing? it would help if someone explained thanks!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:37 PM   #2
Guiddy
AF Enthusiast

I know some people have used the product here on the site and got acceptable results, but I would ask to please avoid it.
In years of modelling I have found the best results are achieved with lacquer and when used correctly a superb and hard wearing finish is optained.
Follow the FAQ's in it's use and you will soon learn to achieve masterful results. Anything else is taking short cuts!
Guiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:33 PM   #3
Prelude2War
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Prelude2War
this is what i use for cutting compound, its also called rubbing compound. Its for cars, dont know if they make this brand anymore, its REALLY old but still works great.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
djmr2
AF Enthusiast

I have used Future with great results.

You'll need to spray on ALOT OF COATS though, assuming u are using an airbrush.

You need to spray it on and get it wet, but not runny. when it dries out, it becomes very thin. So you'll need to build up about 10 layers so u don't go through the clearcoat when u are polishing.

What i usually do is, i use some polishing clothes first, and then move onto Tamiya Compound.

And after that you'll get a great finish comparable to lacquers. The great thing about Future is it's Acrylic based.

oh and if u plan on using a wax, try it out on a spare peice first with the future on, because i tried some mothers pure carnauba wax and it dulled the finish a little.
djmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:12 PM   #5
935k3
AF Enthusiast

I use Future on all my models because it is safe and strips easily with ammonia if you do not like it. It is also great for making your headlight lens clearer and more see through. I wipe it it on. Especially with Tamiya's Decals which are nice and lay down smooth this gives a very nice overall shine. Some laquer finishes look good but some are way to thick and unrealistic. One thing I do is polish the decals with Tamiya compound or the treatment wax or Novus #2 before I apply the Future. If you spray it set your pressure pretty high to better atomize it. It's almost like spraying water it is so thin. It will also make your windows clearer. In the long run a laquer finish is more durable but future can be freshened renewed or repaired easily by just applying another coat. It has ammonia in it so it reflows the old coat when applying the new one.
935k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:58 AM   #6
MaxSE
AF Regular

thanks guys not that i don't believe you or anything....but who has some pictures to prove it!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 09:32 AM   #7
Dublinguy
AF Regular

Prelude, Yes Simoniz is still in production I have some of it at home. As far as I can remember you can get a number of different grades in it. Good stuff though for getting rid of a rough paint job

Dublinguy
Dublinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:55 AM   #8
MaxSE
AF Regular

ok but what is compound? is it the same as automotive wax? (real car wax?) and do you polish after or before applying the clearcoat?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:07 PM   #9
Prelude2War
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Prelude2War
the compound isnt a wax as because it cuts into the paint and removes any imprefections in the paint and smooths it out. I would believe that you would want to smooth out the paint before sprawing on the clear coat.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling