Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
ClayBell75
AF Newbie

1999 Alero - Getting gouged on a new ABS unit?!

Hey, I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. A year ago we got the classic 3-parter of TRAC, Check Engine and BRAKE light. Long story short, our dealership told us that the brakes were functional, but we would not have active ABS braking, so we went ahead with the car.

Now a year later... our back brakes are crunching, we have terrible stopping power at 45+ mph, brakes only seem to activate in the front, etc. Local brake shop takes off the wheels and our back rotors are rusted except for where the brake pad laid. By their estimates, it means the back brakes haven't been engaged in around 9-12 months.

SO... their solution is a new ABS unit along with a brake proportioning valve. The brake proportioning valve makes sense to me - makes sense as the root cause. But I don't necessarily want the ABS on a car I barely use.

BUT the repair shop says we HAVE to replace the ABS unit along with the proportioning valve because dealers will only sell them bundled. Yet I look on the Internet and find standalone brake proportioning valves for this car from reputable dealers.

So what's the deal? Are these guys just trying to rip me off for more labor costs, or does the proportioning valve REALLY need to be installed alongside a new ABS unit?

Thanks for your help!
ClayBell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: 1999 Alero - Getting gouged on a new ABS unit?!

Did the dealership provide you with any of the ABS/Traction control system diagnostic codes to justify replacing the ABS Motorpack/Modulator which also has the electronic brake and traction control module (EBTCM) therefore expensive. The codes should be C1XXX, etc. Scan tool GM Tech2.

And welcome to AF.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote