Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
Hockeyknight2001
AF Newbie

Question $5000??

My freind has an '99 Si and was wondering what he could do to get the most out of the 5k he wants to put into it. (H22 swapping??)
Hockeyknight2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: $5000??

boooooosssssstttt it... with 5 k you could build a pretty decent turbo application, might even be able to swap in a b18c and turbo that.. definitely look into the forced induction tho, best bang for your buck hands down
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:43 AM   #3
CVTodd1
AF Newbie

Exactly what Delerious said...I sent you a Private message, but i'm not sure if you get them, but boost it, for $5000, you can boost it, and make it more reliable, by adding upgreaded rods, pistons, and maybe some turbo cam's, and it'll make more horsepower than an h22a.
CVTodd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
Hockeyknight2001
AF Newbie

Alright cool, and I did get your Private message.. What is forced induction supposed to help with??
Hockeyknight2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
CVTodd1
AF Newbie

I'm not too sure what you mean...Your friend wants to get the most out of his car for $5000, and he has a civic si, so what I was saying is by putting on a turbo kit, and some rods, pistons, cams, etc would help make more horesepower. So for the most bang for your buck, forced induction is the way to go.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
i have both nuts!
Banned

take the 5k and buy a car with a fuckin v8 biotch!
twice the motor and it doesn't sound like an old lady having a bowel movement when you put an exhaust on it.
i have both nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:57 AM   #7
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

thank you moderator... rightfully banned that mofo
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
edman24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to edman24
Re: Re: $5000??

or you could go all motor with it!!! yah turbo is good but im a big fan of all motor. with 5 grand you could do the sickest 2.1L monster motor. with 11.5:1 compression (barely pump gas friendly), and some sick cams with aebs sleeves and all the bolt ons and tuning. that ish would be soo fast, youd take out a lot of turbo cars that even have more hp than you do.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tranzlogic

H22 is out of the question ! much to heavy for the civic fron end causing it to handle for shit ! You need to go Turbo like all stated ! for 5k you can get a pretty sick custom turbo going...Deck and sleeve it, throw in some 6:5:1 pistons some H beam rods and a lil top end work ( valve job, port and polish, cams,springs,valves ) If you shop around and do your research You can get all this in the 5k zone ! You could also make a very nasty all motor application with this , but you will never have the crazy hp numbers of a boosted motor..Either way 5k spent wisely can get you in the next level
Tranzlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #10
CVTodd1
AF Newbie

Yeah, I know what you mean Edman, Turbo is badass, but for my next car I want to drop in a JDM Type R motor into a hatch, and stay all motor. I love the sound of a beefy N/A. For $5000 thou, if it was all motor, you could make it badass. Upgraded valvetrain, stage 2 skunk2 cams, intake manifold, header, exhaust, pistons, rods, port & polish head, etc...
Old 04-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
edman24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to edman24
Re: Re: $5000??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVTodd1
Yeah, I know what you mean Edman, Turbo is badass, but for my next car I want to drop in a JDM Type R motor into a hatch, and stay all motor. I love the sound of a beefy N/A. For $5000 thou, if it was all motor, you could make it badass. Upgraded valvetrain, stage 2 skunk2 cams, intake manifold, header, exhaust, pistons, rods, port & polish head, etc...
yes i was trying to say i like all motor more. the type r motor in a hatch is tight but the price of that motor is not worth it. its only good to be able to say "hey i have a type r motor". if you are going to built the motor, forget type r. get a gsr and build it. the only thing that separates the gsr from typer is higher compression, some minor head work, slightly beefier cams, and a red valve cover . all these would be replaced in any decent all motor setup so the extra money youd spend on a type r motor gives you a red valve cover and an engine code that says b18c5. what a waste.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Tell him to buy a GSR swap, then sell the B16A2 for $2500, now he has more displacement, more horsepower, and $5000 to spend boosting hte GSR motor.

And mister "i have both nuts!", you sure do, and they are planted on your chin, you should give those back to your daddy.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical