Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
87GN
AF Newbie

Why imports?

Why would anyone want an import? When I say import, I mean jap crap, not Ferarris, Lamborghinis, etc. I mean souped up hondas, mitsubishis, nissans, and the such. Do people think ridiculous wings and huge exhaust tips make their cars fast? I mean, domestics can go faster for cheaper-bottom line. Read my signature, I got less than $22,000 into it, that includes buying a very rare car in mint condition, and there's no end in sight. Plus I got a 69 Camaro with a 502 V-8 that runs low 9s, proving that I don't need a turbo to go fast. Plus neither of them got nitrous, and both handle way better than I need them to. Someone tell me what the big fascination is with imports!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

jap crap? what jap crap? it aint crap. are you serious? only a dumbass would think wings, and huge exhaust tips will make them go faste, i dont know anyone that thinks like that. do you know anyone well enough that you know for sure that person thinks like that? some people just put wings on it for looks, and a lot of other stuff for looks, i personally dont do it, but im smart enough to know why they do. im not gonna try to make them not like it, just cause i dont do it, its their choice. i dont think they all get it cause they think its fast, i think most of them get jap cars cause thats what they were looking for, maybe it was gas mileage, maybe it was looks, maybe it was a combination of looks and power, i dont know, and it just happened to be a japanese company car. so thats what they had to start from, an import, so they just start modifying that car. some people may like the way imports are modified, and they like making a 4 cylinder fast. maybe its fun to watch one beat a bigger more powerful 8 even if it costed more. maybe they like the turbo, and they just like that jap style of modifying. maybe it was because of that stupid movie fast and the furious, i didnt like that movie, didnt even like the way the cars were modified looks wise, but maybe that made some people buy jap comapany cars more. dont get me wrong, i like domestics, esp the older ones, but everyones different, not everyones gonna think like you.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
Ozzy88GTA
AF Newbie

I have to agree. This is just a hobby to must of us and whatever car you decide to work on to modify and show is up to you. Even collectors like Jay Lenno owns all sorts of cars even imports. And he does it for the love of cars. It's the same with bikes, some like Harleys only and everything else is junk to them. This is just too narrow minded thinking.
You like what you like, and they like what they like. Forcing your taste in cars to someone else does nothing for the good of the sport.
One thing to think too is that most are on a limited budget and a small economy car is suited well for them because it is cheap to run and insure. Most cars are also purchased for them by parents who are making the payments anyways so they do not have a choice.
We all did lots of stuff when we were younger and a lot of people did not agree either. It didn' make it wrong, it was just different, and that's what we have to look beyond. It's their way of expresing their taste for cars and there is nothing wrong with it.

-Ozzy
Old 10-06-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

You also have to think about it this way. These "jap crap" cars are exactly like in the sixties the muscle cars. A lot are family sedans, that kids are taking and modifying to be faster and different than everyone elses. You think a 4-door chevelle was initially meant as a tire peeler? Hell no. Then kids in that era were takin malibu's and just puttin glass packs on it to make them sound badass... then some started soopin them up to be badasses... The corvettes and old Thunderbirds were supposed to be the sports cars in the late 50's not mom's chevy nova. But now we see them as an icon in upgradeable power. How many people do you know that have taken a ferrari, or even a corvette and decked em out? Not many. But look at the prelude, accord, even camry.. all kinds of people takin the economy car mom and dad bought em for high school and turning it into either a loud individualistic looking car, or a highpowered 4 cylindar turbocharged strip machine.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Some nice replys to a silly and ignorant question.

But this thread is pointless and open to abuse by people with bad attitudes, thank you to those with enlightened replies, but thread closed.