Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 10:49 PM   #16
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Tekone

First, show me a picture of one on 'street legal tires.' Second, learn how to spell. Third, no 8 second anything runs on street tires. Why? You can't cut 8 second 1/4th mile times without decent 60' traction. I have never seen a car in the 10's or under on street tires or even nittos.
Firstly Vinces spelling is 100% correct- he uses the New Zealand English spelling of tyres

Secondly don't ever douby Vinces knowledge of Skylines- his information is alwayss correct

Thirdly pay this site a visit http://www.exvitermini.com/records.htm- and see numerous GTR's pulling 8's on street tyres- in the Pro GTR drag class- so how does that foot taste

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:09 PM   #17
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
ET streets are street tires, technically. However they use the same R5 compound that their full race slicks run, they simplly have grooves and a harder durometer to handle rocks and the like. there are NUMEROUS 8 second small tire cars running 8s, there are fox body mustangs doing 8's on the STOCK rear suspension geometry, i'd love to see a skyline do that.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:21 PM   #18
badicalradical
AF Newbie

you muscle car guys ever heard of the benefits of AWD? hows that for 0-60 traction. and i have a video of a skyline doing 8 sec pass on street "tyres" suckaz
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #19
badicalradical
AF Newbie

"ET streets are street tires, technically. they are made out of rubber just like slicks and they wrap around rims just like slicks, so theyre the same." im with godzilla tamer on this one. a skyline can do 8's on street tires and less horsepower than a muscle car running 8's on slicks.

even i know that and im retarded and only 6 years old
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:19 AM   #20
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by badicalradical
you muscle car guys ever heard of the benefits of AWD? hows that for 0-60 traction. and i have a video of a skyline doing 8 sec pass on street "tyres" suckaz
Any REAL dedicated drag car will have no benefit from AWD, the cars have no weight on the front wheels when launching, ergo the front wheels will simply be wasting power by being driven, now back in your hole
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:38 AM   #21
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LSR
Got a few STis, Evos, Supras and GT-Rs all pushing 800bhp and more in my area (in the city).

The Skyline lauches as FF btw, but this changes based on a few paremeters such as wheel speed mainly, but sometimes wheel slip, attitude etc. And Skylines are capable of running 8s on street-legal tires. I've seen it happen (well not in person ).

Last edited by LSR; 07-15-2003 at 09:02 AM.
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #22
4mula
AF Regular

Question

Wow did this spur some controversy !!, all of you have made some great points, as to the legality of the tires involved, ET streets are as said slicks with grooves, Drag Radials are a whole different story. On real street tires IE the ET streets and such the norm now is low 8's from american cars, I believe it's an 8.17. The drag radial guys aren't far behind with an 8.47. I see allot of comparisons between supras and skylines, What do these low 8 imports cost. A normal mid to low 8 Stang or Camaro can be done for less than $40,000.00 US. Not flaming but is it the same for the before mention imports?
THE DESKTOP HORSEPOWER WALLPAPERS & PICS
www.goDragRacing.com
4mula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:33 AM   #23
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
The difference between "Street legal tires" and not is minimial. I bet dam well those 8 sec Skylines are using those borderline 1s to run those times.

Last edited by GTStang; 07-20-2003 at 04:01 PM.
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:06 AM   #24
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

I couldnt care less about Skylines, or supras to tell you the truth, even if they run 8s or not... Theres just something beautiful about seeing something like that Chevelle run down the 1/4 track, not to mention its sound that would scare the living crap out any living being. If you bring up "Da Twizteez Yo!!", I again couldnt care less. Im not going to be driving around my neighborhood trying to pull off Initial D stunts.

Theres a shop in my neighborhood that has a 10 second Stang. I believe its a 2000. Theres also some full-out drag First/Second gen F-bodies and a couple of loud Mustangs. Also, theres this sweet looking 50s/60s Chevy truck with a "show" chrome bigblock engine, candy apple red with welds wrapped on M/Ts... Its beautiful, sets off alarms from blocks away
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #25
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

I just wonder how many of you have heard of the RH9 club in Japan? RH9 means your car runs in the 9's on street tryes (tires) not just street legal ones but actual off the shelf everyday street tires. That doesn't mean the car is restricted to just 9's but at least 9's. There are a number of them running flat 9's and high 8's on bias ply street tyres. (God I love spelling that word two different ways it really messes with narrow minds)

Now given that information how many of these "street tired: rwd drag cars are even street driven? Are capable of normal street driving? IE goign down to the shop for what ever.
Hey I am a firm believer and always have been that if you want to go quick on a drag strip it is 2wd. If it weren't I think the top fuel guys would be using 4wd.

Getting back to what I was going to say, a car with a spooled diff, 3,500 rpm stall converter, 90-10 shocks in the front, 4 link rear suspension(if its got it) ISN'T a street car! It is a dedicated drag car. The two GTR's I was refering to will happily go around corners on a circut, though obviously not as nice a designated circut car.

The fact remains that irregaurdless what you may or may not think about a car that is such an all around car as the GTR is hard to just dismiss because you are so pro-american. FFS get a grip aye.
I had no idea about these cars until I came to New Zealand. I didn't even know they existed. For 16 years of driving, 10 in racing, I lived and breathed amercian muscle with V8 power. The more the merrier. My last drag car as a 78 camaro with a 650 cid Aris using two holley 1150 cfm dominators and it ran high 7's all day long. Yet my current car is such a pleasure to drive. Even thought it isn't close to the hp and only runs near flat 12's. Who cares as we are all performance car enthusisasts, supposedly sharing the same passion.

Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are any better or worse. We are entitled to all have our own opinions. Just make sure you have fact before you open your yap, because odds are you will be caught out.

You want to impress me, act mature and admit when you're wrong. I will be the first to admit when I am wrong, and so should you. Cross me though and well lets not go there aye. Lets have fun and take in all the facts, and good stuff instead of getting shitty when someone brings up a valid point with factual data to support it.
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #26
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I have heard of that club in Japan. Or at least some club in Japan where you have to run 9s otherwise your car is considered worthless, relatively.

I also agree with you, razor.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:22 PM   #27
Twyzz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Twyzz
The only problem with awd is its amount of power loss
Twyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:13 PM   #28
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

You know with all this "yawning" and testosterone posturing, I really should have mentioned that the 1970 Chevelle SS is one horny car! I did own a 69 SS for about a year, but allas lost my lic in it. DOH.
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #29
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Extra weight due to 4wd is also a problem.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:08 AM   #30
icemike117
AF Newbie

there is a 69 camaro ss puttin out 900 horses,and a 79 trans am with a 477ci with 707horses
icemike117 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons