Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Wheel Hub Replacement '97-'03

Hub Replacement

Items/Tools needed:

35mm or 1 3/8" axle socket
3/4 or 19mm socket for lug nuts or lug wrench
15mm socket for brake caliper and bracket
13mm socket for wheel bearing bolts (extentions as well)
Breaker bar or impact wrench to remove lug nuts and axle nut (Note: Do not use impact driver to install axle nut).
Torque wrench for axle nut
Hub puller - Optional
Hammer

Directions

1. Jack the appropriate side of the car up. Make sure the rear wheels are blocked and/or set the parking brake. Use a jackstand to support vehicle at subframe for safety.
2. Remove wheel.
3. Remove brake caliper and bracket.
4. Remove rotor.
5. Using 35mm axle socket, remove axle nut, turn counterclockwise. You will either need an impact or a long breaker bar. They are installed with a lot of torque or may be rusted out or corrroded.
6. Push the axle back as far as possible. It won't come all the way out or through the hub, but will become loose. You can either get a tool that will push it out like a hub puller, or just use a hammer making sure not to hit the axle shaft threads and damage them. Put the axle nut back on the axle shaft so it is flush with the top. Then place 35mm axle nut socket on the axle nut and tap on the 35mm socket with the hammer not the threads on the axle shaft spline.
7. Disconnect the wheel sensor connector and then remove hub side connector from the bracket (unclip).
8. Take a 13mm socket with extensions as needed and remove the 3 bolts on the backside of the bearing around the axle. Be sure to use PBBlaster to help loosen the bolts.
9. The hub/bearing should come loose without need needing a hub puller. Be sure to note the sheet metal spacer between the hub and spindle with also has the bracket for the wheel sensor connector.
10. Double check both parts (hubs) to make sure they match.
11. Lube the axle shaft splines with good quality bearing grease before installing the hub. Clean off any old grease and crud first.
12. Install the hub assembly with the wires from the bearing at the bottom. Line up hub splines with axle shaft splines and push in on hub. Note: Don't forget that sheet metal plate between the spindle and wheel bearing. Note: Make sure the wheel sensor wires don't get pinched by the axle shaft.
13. Install the 3 13mm bolts to 96ft lbs. Service manual recommends replacing with new ones. Some hubs like AC Delco will come with new bolts which have threadlocker.
14. Install the axle nut. As tightened down it will pull the driveshaft the rest of the way in. Torque axle nut to GM specs of 159 ft-lbs or the figure specified by the hub manufacturer. It is recommended to use a new axle nut but not necessary.
15. Install the rotor, brackets and caliper. Torque caliper bracket bolts to 137 ft-lb and caliper pin bolts to 63 ft-lb.
16. Install the connector to the sheet metal bracket and reconnect both connectors.
17. Install the wheel. Torque lug nuts in a star pattern at 100 ft-lbs each.
18. Road test car and ensure any ABS and TRAC OFF light are off.

Applicable to all Grand Prix models '97-'03

Hub Bearing Assembly w/ABS Rear View

Hub Bearing Asembly w/ABS Front View

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 05-03-2009 at 06:59 PM.
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
rick_css
AF Newbie

Re: Wheel Hub Replacement '97-'03

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow night. For All to know, I got a 25 to 250 ft/lb craftsman torque wrench for $79. The wrench in the store is $109. I went online to sears and the wrench is $10 off. When I checked out expecting to pay $99, the form had a place to enter my craftsman club number. When I entered it, it gave me another $20 off the top!
Well, back on the hub topic... I have been searching the web to find some sort of specs for my GT. I found 3 different specs for the spline (hub) nut. One spec sheet had two torque values 88-99 Grand Prix 118ft/lb, 98-00 Grand Prix 184ft/lb. Another spec sheet had W body - 185ft/lb. Another spec sheet had W body 184ft/lb. Fed up, I called the dealer where I bought my GT and the service manager asked one of the Techs, he told me 120ft/lb. The Hub Bearing box says to torque to 180ft/lb. I was relieved to finally find your post on the procedure that sounds very honest and truthful and gave me more confidence in doing this myself, however, I noticed that you stated that the torque should be 151ft/lb. Can you tell me what you think of all of these torque numbers and will the real GM spec please stand up? Do I need to install a new spline (Hub) nut and assembly bolts? And, one last question... should I lube the spline with axle grease and use red locktite on the spline (hub) nut? There seems to be so many different opinions, I'm just looking for the truth....
Thanks.
rick_css is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Welcome to AF.

Good deal on the torque wrench. The rule of thumb is to follow the hub manufacturers recommended torque value. But 180 ft-lbs does seems high. There are alot of different torque values out making it very confusing. The 151 ft-lbs is from the GM Factory Service Manual and should be used for GM OEM/AC Delco brand hubs. It is recommended to use new hub bolts and a new axle nut. Some hubs like the AC Delco brand come with them.

One aftermarket hub manufacturer, SKF recommends the following for Grand Prix using their hubs:

'01-'04 - 159 ft-lbs
'98-'00 - 118 ft-lbs
'95-'97 - 151 ft-lbs

No problem lubing the axle spline or using the red locktite on the axle and hub bolts.

What brand hub did you purchase?

BTW - On certain GM cars the torque value is different depending on whether the axle nut is used or new or of a certain type of composition.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 02-02-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
bluesman0007
AF Newbie

Hi all,

Having a problem finding new axle nuts and the mounting bolts for the new bearings as suggested in the post. Great information. Am going to tackle this on the weekend if I can find the hardware. Any suggestions? I'm in Michigan and none of the usual parts places seem to be able to get them and I called one GM dealer and he didn't have them listed. What am I doing wrong. Have all the tools no hardware.

Dennis
bluesman0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman0007
Hi all,

Having a problem finding new axle nuts and the mounting bolts for the new bearings as suggested in the post. Great information. Am going to tackle this on the weekend if I can find the hardware. Any suggestions? I'm in Michigan and none of the usual parts places seem to be able to get them and I called one GM dealer and he didn't have them listed. What am I doing wrong. Have all the tools no hardware.

Dennis
Send me a PM message and I'll provide a GM/AC Delco parts source in MI.

Been awhile but I recall AC Delco brand hubs have the hub bolts and an axle nut. Aftermarkets do not.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
darkcherrymetallic
AF Newbie

Thanks for the information. I am planning to tackle my front wheel hubs soon. I have a 2002 GTP (40th anniversary edition). I need a hub axel socket and your directions states 35 mm but when I search on like O'Reilly's Auto website it keeps bringing me to a 34 mm socket as well as a 34 mm nut replacement for my vehicle. Should I go with 34 or 35mm? Thanks.
darkcherrymetallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I think the nut is actually 34mm, however a lot of people, myself included, have been able to get it loose and tight with a 36 mm socket.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance