Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
chris j.
AF Newbie

HELP!!! Weird Headlight Problem (01 Caravan)

I have a Canadian 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (daytime running lights)

I noticed a headlight out, so I replaced the bulbs. NOT the problem.

When I turn on the car, one of the daytime running lights comes on. When I click on the low beams, one low beam comes on, then, when I click the high beams, only one comes on, but it's the OPPOSITE side!!!

Same thing happens with new, old and third set of bulbs! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris
chris j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
xrayeyes2u
AF Newbie

Re: HELP!!! Weird Headlight Problem (01 Caravan)

Same thing is happening to me! It doesn't happen every time....I had read to replace battery - which we did -- but that only fixed it for 2 days.....
My passenger side headlight won't work on low - but the driver's side won't work on high -- when it decides to act up! I have noted several people complaining of this....sounds like a RECALL issue to me!!!
xrayeyes2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
xrayeyes2u
AF Newbie

Same thing is happening to me! It doesn't happen every time....I had read to replace battery - which we did -- but that only fixed it for 2 days.....
My passenger side headlight won't work on low - but the driver's side won't work on high -- when it decides to act up! I have noted several people complaining of this....sounds like a RECALL issue to me!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
mudnut
AF Newbie

Did you guys ever resolve your headlight problems ?
I am having a similar issue. Driver Low beam does not work. Changed the bulb, no help. Checked the switch using a VOM (per a Chilton's Troubleshooting chart) and it checked out fine.
Thanks
Mark
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
xrayeyes2u
AF Newbie

Hi there -
After much research it seems that it is due to a faulty front control module or body control module...the part is located under the hood on the driver's side. My husband disconnected it and found that it was very dirty - with grit like material -- he used an air hose and blew it clean, checked connections and put it back in. He has had to do this twice. I have the part number and have searched for one online as the dealership wanted $600 for the part....I haven't come up with a working part yet. I ordered one but it arrived filled w/ water -- we surmised it was from the New Orleans flooded vehicles!! Obviously, it needs replaced -- but this little trick has worked thus far.
The part number is Daimler Chrysler 04869000AJ then a space followed by an A. Some people are calling it an electronic chassis control module.
Wish you much luck! I have had lots of quirks w/ my van and am seriously considering getting rid of it!! Now the ac is not working -- dealer said crack in the condenser - which while researching I have found this is a common problem...they wanted nearly $900. Have also had to replace the air cabin filter and the blower motor 3 xs.
Good Luck,
xrayeyes2u
Old 06-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
mudnut
AF Newbie

xrayeyes-
thanks for the info, I have read quite a few posts that speak of some type of control module. I found the Front Control Module and pulled the connections and pushed back in several times, no luck. I am now under the dash checking for loose wires etc, since this vehicle had an aftermarket Remote Start and a Power Door Lock system by SPAL installed.
By the way, where did you find your cabin air filter ? I bought one and have not got to it yet.
Mark
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
eddy4u
AF Newbie

i have the answer to your caravan headlights , all take note the problem is under your fuse box under the hood drivers side the wire connector below the fuse box gets loose so have to clean it or even insert a piece of wire into it to make contact shake the wires and you will see the lights will come on usually its the green connector take it off and you would see where the connection is somewhat burned because it is too loose so sometimes only one headlight lights - take care guys
eddy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
eddy4u
AF Newbie

headlights problem in caravan , problem loose wiring under the fuse box under the hood drivers side
Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
eddy4u
AF Newbie

cause loose wiring connector under the fuse box under the hood drivers side
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
edraz
AF Newbie

I will try that tomorrow on my 2002 Grand Sport. I hope this fixes it because I'm quickly getting sick of this van and it's many problems, no horn, rusted quarter panels, front pads needing replacing frequently, etc.
edraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
lls
AF Newbie

Headlights on my 94 Caravan wouldn't turn off, and I had to take out the fuse to turn them off to save the battery. Dismantled the dash to find the low beam module, but there isn't one. Just unplugged the small black module by the main computer module, driver side on the firewall, #467221-60043, and everything went back to normal, except the daylight running lights don't work. Have a new part ordered to fix the lights.
lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
d-maraspini
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 dodge caravan and the drivers side headlight went out? So i replaced the bulb and it didnt work. The night before the light was out when i started the car and when i took off it came on around the corner? Well, i googled the problem and eddy was right !!! I lifted the fuse box that is under the hood on the drivers side and checked the connections and low and behold the lights started to work again !!!
d-maraspini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
screaching hawk
AF Newbie

Hi guys, I have had the same thin happen to my 02' caravan with the lights swiching sides and all, I have been using electrical conductive grease in the holes where the chasis/headlight conrol module part # 04869000aja plugs in on the front of the IPM or fuse box. This worked for a while as I thought the elecrical pins had worn. However, since this part is bolted on and thus not moving or subject to vibration I can't explain why the pins would be worn. as I said this too ultimately stopped working, but when I lift up on the module while it is unbolted yet still pluged in, everything works. Unfortunately it goes out again when I let go. Please register and reply if you can help.
screaching hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
RIP
AF -Advisor

The module is called the Front Control Module (FCM). I've read several reports of people having good luck with cleaning and/or slightly bending the contacts/tabs on the module to make better contact.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Walter Zoomie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
The module is called the Front Control Module (FCM). I've read several reports of people having good luck with cleaning and/or slightly bending the contacts/tabs on the module to make better contact.
This works! On my '01, I pulled the module, cleaned and lightly sanded the pins with fine sand paper, then carefully gave all the pins a slight twist (using needle nose pliers) for better contact. No problems since, and cost nothing but time and a little aggravation.
Walter Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager