Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

79 datsun carb

I have a 79 datsun pickup 620 , 5 speed had a idle problem a couple months ago and found out it was the EGR passage system and is running good, but now the secondary barrel on my (factory) carb will not open. I was wanting some info on what kind of carb i need to buy and where is a good place to look for one. Priced a couple at the auto parts place and just wanted some more experence in the whole situation. Also i talked to a guy who has the same truck a year older and he told me that he put a Weber adaptor and a header and it made all the difference in the world. so carb and a header is what i am needing.
Thanks in advance for helping.
TAKE A TOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
toddluck
AF Newbie

Re: 79 datsun carb

weber is the only way to go man a new one is going to run you about 550 bucks but i have found rebuilders at the local wrecking yards for 75 bucks and the rebuild kit for around 45...and its an easy rebuild
toddluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
dimefury
AF Regular

the weber is the only way to go!

what state do you live in?

in CA a 79 still has to be smogged, so that would limit you on carb choices.

if your truck has a L16, a weber 32/36 DGV and a header would make it rip, but if you have to smog it you are probably limited to a weber 32/34 DFT, a smog-legal weber, it definitly won't give you as much performance as a 32/36DGV but will be a huge improvement over stock.

IMO, it isn't worth wasting money to repair or replace the stock carb, they are junk. get the weber.

below is a link to Top-end Performance's website, they sell weber carbs and conversion kits. they are some very good guys over there, i get most of my weber stuff through them.
http://www.racetep.com/
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimefury
the weber is the only way to go!

what state do you live in?
i live in NC so no worry about smog or anything like that. Also do i really need that egr passage for that truck? i dont know exactly what egine i have. AIn my book it says Datsun Pickup 620 series 119.1 cu. in
(1952 cc) och maybe you could tell me a little more about that?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
toddluck
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 79 datsun carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKE A TOKE
i live in NC so no worry about smog or anything like that. Also do i really need that egr passage for that truck? i dont know exactly what egine i have. AIn my book it says Datsun Pickup 620 series 119.1 cu. in
(1952 cc) och maybe you could tell me a little more about that?
you have an L20 which is a 2000cc engine
toddluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
dimefury
AF Regular

yea, you have a L20b
wikipedia on datsun L-series engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_L_engine

i have a L20b in my 510.

it has the same manifold flanges as a L16 or L18 so you can use the same manifolds as a datsun 510 on your pickup
basically any 510 (datsun L-series) intake manifold will fit, some headers will fit and some won't because your truck has torsion bar front suspension which is different from the 510 setup.
also some later model pickups used a round exhaust port L20b head (instead of square ports in earlier L-engines) the intake ports are still the same so the 510 intake manifolds will still work with this head, but 510 headers definitly won't work with it.

i am running dual sidedrafts on my L20b

but this is more of a race setup and isn't really street tame/legal

for everyday street-use i would still reccomend a single downdraft weber 32/36 DGV. you can still use your stock intake mani with a spacer/adapter.

if you don't need to smog it you definitly don't need that EGR. try and get stock intake and exhaust manifolds from a non-EGR L-series. all it does is rob your power by feeding the engine burnt garbage air.
i actually have a few non-EGR intake manifolds if you can't find one in a junkyard.

Last edited by dimefury; 12-31-2005 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

well i have looked in junkyards all over NC(with the internet and personally) and everyone tells me that they have crushed evrything with that year and earlier. I have found to be hard to find parts for that truck. If you would like to sell your intake i would possible be able to purchace it. You could PM me a price.If you like.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
dimefury
AF Regular

you have a PM

damn, that sucks man. over here, on the west coast, old datsuns are rare at junkyards, but we still have some. in NC the climate probably took its toll on the bodies of your datsuns which is why they are so quick to crush them over there.

70's datsun pickups are fairly common here, i see them still on the streets all the time.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

yea you really dont see many over here on the east coast. That is one of the reasons i like it so much.also looking for a exhaust manifold
Old 01-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
dimefury
AF Regular

does your head have round exhaust ports or square?

on your head on the side where your sparkplugs go, right above where the head meets the block there should be a casting number (a letter and two numbers) does it say W58?

all i have left (besides what is on my car) is a stock 510 (squareport non-egr) exhaust manifold.

you should check ebay, but make sure you know which ports you have.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimefury
does your head have round exhaust ports or square?

on your head on the side where your sparkplugs go, right above where the head meets the block there should be a casting number (a letter and two numbers) does it say W58?
yes it says w58
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: Re: 79 datsun carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKE A TOKE
yes it says w58
you have round exhaust ports

i have a datsun head out in my garage that is a w58 head and it is a roundport l20b head.

sorry, but like i said in the email i had a header for that, but i sold it this summer.

i did a quick search on ebay and this is what you are looking for
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...spagenameZWDVW

edit- i got your reply email tonight, but i'll get back to you on that tomarrow morning, its getting late

until then here is something cool that i found when i googled datsun L20b horsepower, scroll down a bit and there is an article about a L20b swapped datsun 1200, running 31 psi of boost for 411 hp.
http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsecti...tpage&artid=69

Last edited by dimefury; 01-03-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

DIME you dont know how much your help is appreciated and has made things a bit easier for me. I will prolly get some pics on here tomorrow of my truck and the engine prolly make things easier for you. (help you help me) and also will have good "before and after photos". Im thinking about getting some of my brackets and valve cover chrome dipped Along with a couple other items. Dumbass me i guess like alot of others is fix the engine and run out of money for the body lol But in all honesty the body is in good shape.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
TAKE A TOKE
AF Newbie

Also with all the engine upgrades that im doing do i need to look into the suspension?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
dimefury
AF Regular

no problem, glad to help. can't wait to see pics of your truck.
pictures of my current datsun project are in my member gallery
http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...?ppuser=385373
i haven't gotten mine painted/bodywork done yet either

i think the next thing you should think about is brakes. you may want to do some suspension work later, but make sure you can stop first. on the site below i read that later model 620's came with front disc brakes and electronic ignition standard. do you have front discs?

i googled datsun 620 and this came up, you probably have allready seen it, but here is a link anyway, lots of info and some good links on site
datsun 620 link
http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~dcmurphy/620/620.htm

this one has differences in 620 production years.
http://home.sprintmail.com/~cathbrown/doug/pickup.html

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > General Discussion