Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 10:40 AM   #1
Repraissure
AF Newbie

Factory Radio Removal from 2002 Xterra

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the factory radio from my 2002 Xterra SE. I've unscrewed all of what seem to be the relevant screws, but have still met without success. I'm afraid to tear into the plastic panels. What should I do?
Repraissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
This might answer the question:
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...?TOPIC_ID=2434

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
ChAcHi
AF Newbie

I know how!!!

I had the same problem you had couple days ago, but I found out on this forum actually. I can't remeber the post, but it's in here, he even had pictures. I'll give you the quick and dirty of it.

1. You have to pull up on the center console piece where your stick shift is located (you can see there are 3 pieces, the rear piece has your drink holders, middle piece the one you want to pull up on has your stick and the front piece has your radio). I found pulling up on both sides worked pretty good. YOU DO NOT NEED TOOLS TO DO THIS PART.

2. Once you have the middle piece then it's clear sailing. Remove 2 screws for the front piece on the bottom, they will be revealed once you've pulled the middle piece up.

3. Remove the 2 top screws which are visible above the radio.

4. Now you can pull back on the front piece and disconnect the 12V acc. wire and hazard switch.

After that, it should be pretty clear on how to go about replacing the radio, I assume that is what you what you want to do.

GOOD LUCK!!!
ChAcHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
Repraissure
AF Newbie

Excellent!!! Thank y'all very much!

Excellent!!! Thank y'all very much! I'll give it a shot. I'm trying to install a couple of amps I used to have in my jeep (too noisy and couldn't hear the radio at highway speeds), but I have to get behind that xterra's factory radio first. I was just reluctant to tear into the thing. Circuit City was wanting to charge me $120.00 in labor alone and (of course) wanted to sell me some other options as well...they were pushing $300.00+ in trinkets with some ridiculously thick gauge wire. Thanks again y'all!
Repraissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
ajcasp429
AF Newbie

Wink Changing Factory Radio Is Easy!!!

Ok, changing the factory radio is easy, 3 steps.

1. there is a plastic cover that is connected to your shift boots, pull it from the center straight up, your not going to break it, pull hard,

2. below that is 2 screws towards the back, remove them. there are also 2 hidden screws in above them where the plastic hangs over, remove them.

3. pull the plastic panel surrounding your radio/air vents off, pull hard, your not going to break it, and unscrew your radio. badda bing your done.
ajcasp429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Most people put the amp under the passenger seat, but you might want to tape off the back passenger vent that's there so you don't add to the heat the amp already is trying to get rid of. You can't get real big amps under there though.

Another location is behind the cargo speaker panels.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
CTSpeed413
AF Newbie

Re: I know how!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAcHi
I had the same problem you had couple days ago, but I found out on this forum actually. I can't remeber the post, but it's in here, he even had pictures. I'll give you the quick and dirty of it.

1. You have to pull up on the center console piece where your stick shift is located (you can see there are 3 pieces, the rear piece has your drink holders, middle piece the one you want to pull up on has your stick and the front piece has your radio). I found pulling up on both sides worked pretty good. YOU DO NOT NEED TOOLS TO DO THIS PART.

2. Once you have the middle piece then it's clear sailing. Remove 2 screws for the front piece on the bottom, they will be revealed once you've pulled the middle piece up.

3. Remove the 2 top screws which are visible above the radio.

4. Now you can pull back on the front piece and disconnect the 12V acc. wire and hazard switch.

After that, it should be pretty clear on how to go about replacing the radio, I assume that is what you what you want to do.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Dude, thanks, I googled for how to remove the radio, and your post helped me do it. I had the same problem as Repraissure. Took off the screws and nada, well, popped out that middle piece, and now my FM modulator is installed and pieces put away!
CTSpeed413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
torQue1
AF Newbie

Re: Factory Radio Removal from 2002 Xterra

Thank you guys so much on your help with taking out factory cd player in my 02 Xterra! I googled the question and yours was the first that popped up and it helped so much I registered on the site and everything. This is the start to a beautiful automotive relationship!

Thanks again,
Torque

\m/_(><)_\m/
torQue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail