Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

Why in the world are they so much, anyways?

A 280 HP, 3100 lb car? Plenty out there that are faster, so why the 80k price tag on an NSX?
Vtec95Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
buckygoldstien12
AF Newbie

honestly in my opinion the price is so high because honda spends a lotof money on developing the nsx. if they sold it for less they would not make any money at all. the nsx is made for the track. in stock form the car is ment to stomp most cars on the track that cost three times that of its own. so cut and dry your paying for the technology used in the car.
buckygoldstien12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
V T E C H
AF Enthusiast

Re: Why in the world are they so much, anyways?

The nsx is not ment to be a drag car. Where it really shines in on the track. From what i hear, it owns about all others in the twisties. And it has honda reliablity. This topic has been discused way to many times.

V T E C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

right you cant just look at HP and weight. It is an MR and has very good handling. No other car would touch it for the price.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec95Civic
A 280 HP, 3100 lb car? Plenty out there that are faster, so why the 80k price tag on an NSX?
What you are paying for is a handbuilt car. It was the cheapest handmade car on the planet. Fit amd finish are exact, and the car is tight! THATS what you are paying for! (but the radio IMHO still $uck$)
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
NsxGuy
AF Newbie

it would be interesting to know the amount of duty that is added to the car's price also, it must be fairly high since its a pure 2 seater.....
NsxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #7
rcsmith
AF Newbie

They are truly an amazing car. Every day you have someone waiving at you, giving you thumbs up, girls going gaga etc. Not to mention the great accerlations and handling too. It's just a great car and I'm glad I have one.

Also, if you ever watch best motoring they always line up other top sports cars with the nsx and the nsx usually comes out on top.
rcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalanos
right you cant just look at HP and weight. It is an MR and has very good handling. No other car would touch it for the price.
Um, A new 400 hp Corvette will smoke it on a road course and they cost quite a bit less. The Viper costs about the same but it also gonna beat it on a course. An LS1 F-body will be a good match for it even....Same with the new GTO.

I love NSX's, but they are overpriced for what you get.
camaroincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
rcsmith
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Why in the world are they so much, anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroincal
Um, A new 400 hp Corvette will smoke it on a course and they cost quite a bit less. The Viper costs about the same but it also gonna smoke it on a course. An LS1 F-body will be a good match for it on a racetrack even....Same with the new GTO.

NSX's are exotic, corvettes, vipers and f-bodies are not. Off the showroom floor a viper or f-body wouldn't keep up on the track. Last I checked Corvettes were going for $100K in my area. I'm sure with that huge motor the corvette has it's going to beat an nsx. Well hell my nsx is 10 years old. Finally a corvette can take on an nsx. Once I get my comptech supercharger though that will be a different story i'm sure.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Why in the world are they so much, anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmith
NSX's are exotic, corvettes, vipers and f-bodies are not. Off the showroom floor a viper or f-body wouldn't keep up on the track. Last I checked Corvettes were going for $100K in my area. I'm sure with that huge motor the corvette has it's going to beat an nsx. Well hell my nsx is 10 years old. Finally a corvette can take on an nsx. Once I get my comptech supercharger though that will be a different story i'm sure.
The NSX is a sports car, but not an exotic. An exotic would be like a Ferrari F430.

A comptech supercharger would give an NSX the performance to take on a new Corvette Z06?

The new Z06's 505 hp LS7 is compact, fuel efficient, and weighs 458 pounds (71 less than the new BMW M5's 5.0 liter V-10).

Besides having a top speed of 198 mph, the new Corvette Z06 has lapped the Nurburgring in 7:43.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Why in the world are they so much, anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroincal
Um, A new 400 hp Corvette will smoke it on a road course and they cost quite a bit less. The Viper costs about the same but it also gonna beat it on a course. An LS1 F-body will be a good match for it even....Same with the new GTO.

Smoke is too strong a word for a race on a course between a Corvette and an NSX (a quarter mile is a different race) Win might be a better word, lose could be another. The more twisty turny a track is the better the odds for an NSX. Will you beat me in the straights? YES! But I don't have to power down near as much in the corners and on a hairpin you would lose way too much advantage.
Is the Corvette a good car, well, grudingly I say yes, but fit and finish still need a bit of polish, and if it still has that awful fuel injection system that the last generation did it's a joke! (sorry, scratch that last). It is Looooooooooong overdue that a Corvette can finally beat a stock 6 cyl that doesn't have a blower!
On a twisty track the Viper not only loses but loses badly. The car is wonderful in a straight line but doesn't know what a corner is!

All the above said, I still take the NSX. Even if I lose on race day the car will still make a fair showing, and is still a better built, more durable, more reliable car than the ones you mentioned. And, at the end of the day, you are still going home with a Vette, Which hardly anyone will notice in a few years because of the Thousands of other vettes that are out there. I bought the NSX because I didn't want a "me too" car,
To me, A Corvette IS a "me too" car.

If you want to play in the big leagues with your Vette try this:
http://www.saleen.com/saleen_s7_performance.htm
Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

A Saleen S7 Twin Turbo costs more than $500,000.

2001-2004 Corvette Z06s currently dominate the SCCA's T1 class.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
A Saleen S7 Twin Turbo costs more than $500,000.

2001-2004 Corvette Z06s currently dominate the SCCA's T1 class.
Thats because there are sooooo many Corvettes, Put an equal amount of Saleens on the track and its NO contest. The same can be said for the new Porsche.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

So what if it gets beaten by this and this? Some of you are missing the point. Not every car is designed to just "be fast" The NSX is a driver's car. Anyone can press a pedal. It takes more to actually drive. I would much rather have a balanced car then a 'fast' car.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
rcsmith
AF Newbie

Honda made the NSX it's own factory, The car is hand built and it was fine tuned by legend F1 driver Ayrton Senna. Honda put as much F1 engineering into a street car is possible. The whole body is a specialized aluminum. If that isn't exotic I don't know what is?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX