Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
ShaolinMassa
AF Regular

Question Paint Cost Question...

Just curious, how much is a quart of regular white acrylic enamel in the U.S., they want $40 just for a quart where I live...
ShaolinMassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Paint Cost Question...

Dont use acrylic-enamel. Try out acrylic-lacquer, or acrylic urethane. It is crap, and I am speaking from a professional stand point. Acrylic enamel is not a durable paint and it is very soft. Also you cannot put acrylic lacquer over acrylic enamel other wise it will cringe, thus making you screwed when it comes to clear coat. Most clear coats are acrylic lacquer.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
ShaolinMassa
AF Regular

Ok thanks Mike, well I went to the store today and everything is hella expensive so I am gonna order everything from the US and have it shipped to me, before I do that I just wanna make sure I got it right so I am gonna make a list of the stuff I am getting and the steps. Could you look at it for me and let me know if I am on track?
ShaolinMassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
WRECKAMENDER
AF Newbie

Doubt if you can even get laquer anymore.Our PPG and Martin Senour suppliers quit distributing that garbage years ago.Was o.k. for jambing kinda miss it for that but for that only.Remember how there used to be so many cars running around that lost there shine and appeared dull (maybe your too young, manufactureres quit using it in the 70's) that was likely laquer finish.Also,I think GTMike is confusing acrylic enamel with synthol enamel.After manufacturers quit using laquer many used AE wich was a much better paint but still didn't match the quality of today's finishes.Just make sure not to be cheap and skip using the hardener/catalyst along with it.Looks the same going out of the booth but but doesn't have near the durability.Also clearcoats are of acrylic urethane in nature,the only laquer clear is for the laquer.The only thing the above post was right about is the fact you don/t want to put laquer over enamel,you can however put enamel over a factory laquer.I really have to question Mikes "professional" opinion,hope you didn't order your supplies already.
WRECKAMENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Re: Paint Cost Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRECKAMENDER
Doubt if you can even get laquer anymore.Our PPG and Martin Senour suppliers quit distributing that garbage years ago.Was o.k. for jambing kinda miss it for that but for that only.Remember how there used to be so many cars running around that lost there shine and appeared dull (maybe your too young, manufactureres quit using it in the 70's) that was likely laquer finish.Also,I think GTMike is confusing acrylic enamel with synthol enamel.After manufacturers quit using laquer many used AE wich was a much better paint but still didn't match the quality of today's finishes.Just make sure not to be cheap and skip using the hardener/catalyst along with it.Looks the same going out of the booth but but doesn't have near the durability.Also clearcoats are of acrylic urethane in nature,the only laquer clear is for the laquer.The only thing the above post was right about is the fact you don/t want to put laquer over enamel,you can however put enamel over a factory laquer.I really have to question Mikes "professional" opinion,hope you didn't order your supplies already.
I mainly use Acrylic Urethane, my uncle and I paint the planes he builds, all we use is AU. I have had other friends that have use AE and have had bad results, it is possible they didnt use enough catalyst.

I personally hate all enamel paints. Enamels are too soft, and are not very durable. I love lacquer and urethane, some of it is preferential I guess.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General