Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
Alphamalez32
AF Newbie

do i need to.....

Do i really need all those expensive parts to lower the Z? i was just thinking about buying the KYB adustable shocks since i already have the eibac springs. the car hops alot in the bumps and feels like its going to brake apart in some small holes but even worst The car is bounds alot when i past over 110 mph and that really scared me once since these highway in NYC have several pot holes and you never know when you going to fall in one. So my question is will i be alright if i Just buy the KYB shocks and use it with my eibac springs or should i buy somthing else?
Alphamalez32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp
Re: do i need to.....

sounds like shes a little stiff, and has unmatched shocks to those springs(or just whore out) and sounds like you want somebody to reassure you that this wont happen so all i have to say is good luck and not familiar with the z 32 to be specific so i dont know what would be intailled in creating a safe high speed car is it na is it tt how many mioles what has already been replaced ? all input helps
stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Alphamalez32
AF Newbie

i dont know exactly what has been replaced. I bought the car a year ago and havent really taken a good look at my suspention. All i was able to see id that it has the eibac srpings but the shocks i couldnt recognize. The car is a 91 2+2 with 130000 miles in it. Im sure i need new shocks all i want to know if ust putting the Kyb there will be a good buy or while i replace the shocks is there anything not too expensive i can add to the suspension to make it hadle atleast like the original setup. All i want is to leave her low to the ground like she is right now.
Alphamalez32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

First off you need to understand the Z. It's a hi-performance car. Meaning the engine and suspension are tuned to a higher level than a normal car.
By changing the ride hight of the car changes the geometry of the suspension, both front and rear, as it's a 4wheel independent suspended auto.
Your handling problems is due to improper geometry.
To correct it you'll need to install the parts that can correct this, and while at it would be a good time to install hi-performance bushings. Then you'll have one of the best handling cars on the road or track.
Best way to check the car is at speed. Speed amplifies incorrect geometry, but it can also get your ass in trouble. Meaning if you get into a high speed fishtail or wabble and your not experianced in such things, you could end up bending you nice car or your ass.
Do it right and you'll have a great car.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
lile zgringo was saying...you need a compensation kit to reconfigure your cars "geometry" back into stock specs. check out the Z resources sticky. there should be a couple sites on there that sell it...

and to answer your queston about the shocks...yes, your in need of new shocks, i guarantee it. and yes adjustable KYB's are a very good choice.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
BlackBettyZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlackBettyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
First off you need to understand the Z. It's a hi-performance car. Meaning the engine and suspension are tuned to a higher level than a normal car.
By changing the ride hight of the car changes the geometry of the suspension, both front and rear, as it's a 4wheel independent suspended auto.
Your handling problems is due to improper geometry.
To correct it you'll need to install the parts that can correct this, and while at it would be a good time to install hi-performance bushings. Then you'll have one of the best handling cars on the road or track.
Best way to check the car is at speed. Speed amplifies incorrect geometry, but it can also get your ass in trouble. Meaning if you get into a high speed fishtail or wabble and your not experianced in such things, you could end up bending you nice car or your ass.
Do it right and you'll have a great car.
droppin the science like bill nye the science guy! Im learnin bout that right now in school, SLA and Mcphearson, leaf springs, doublewishboned suspension, all that jazz.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: do i need to.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBettyZ
droppin the science like bill nye the science guy! Im learnin bout that right now in school, SLA and Mcphearson, leaf springs, doublewishboned suspension, all that jazz.
Good, then you can correct me if I'm wrong, better yet, start answering some of these questions. Bill Nye was my 1st grade teacher.j/k
Old 04-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Speaking of suspensions I have a quick question for you Albert.

A TTs rear swaybar is thicker than the NAs rear bar right? Then if I were to swap the swaybar on the rear of the car to a TTs swaybar I would dial some of the understeer out of my car correct?

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

where you going to school at BlackBettyZ..

yah i learned about all taht in school but i kinda forgot some of it lol

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodo
Speaking of suspensions I have a quick question for you Albert.

A TTs rear swaybar is thicker than the NAs rear bar right? Then if I were to swap the swaybar on the rear of the car to a TTs swaybar I would dial some of the understeer out of my car correct?
I think your right but I don't know how much as the TT has that 3 degree steering rearend.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #11
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

would it even mount up??? and anybody try and drift with it yet? lol
Old 04-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #12
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

drift with the 3 degree steering rearend that is lol no any body ever try drift with a oversized sway bar lol it helps a bity lol but with the rear steer?? hows it work out good or bad??
Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
BlackBettyZ
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTrEmEDrIfT
where you going to school at BlackBettyZ..

yah i learned about all taht in school but i kinda forgot some of it lol
New england technical institute. I got 15 more months of school, then i want to go into the field for 2 years, then get a master technition degree, at UTI maybe specialize in Benz, Porshe, BMW, Audi..
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Well BBZ, let me tell you about the UTI grad programs. 1- dont even think about Porche if you missed 1 single day of school in that 15 month period and you are carring a 4.0GPA and have about 18months experiance in the field first. Benz is a lot easier to get into but they are becomeing flooded with techs no one is hiring them in alot of areas. Same for BMW and Audi. VW and Volvo on the other hand are screeming for techs, they need them they want them and they are willing to do anything for them. Not to sound kinda mean but with alot of the forign manufacturers they dont care if you have a Master cert ASE they want to know do you know how to work on THEIR cars THEIR way. Volvo for example doesnt pay extra for ASEs but they pay more for Volvo certs. I have quite a few of those. But I still havent found a place to hire me yet becuase of location and scheduling conflicts. Then you have to take into account if you go to any of the grad programs at UTI you have to work for that manufacturer for a min of 1 year or pay back however much tuition was for that program. They get pretty lofty let me tell you. I am speeking from experiance I am a Volvo SAFE grad, I have freinds who are Benz, BWM and Audi grads. 1 of them had to pay back the 9K tuition for BMW becuase he went to work for Nissan instead and loves it there.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
BlackBettyZ
AF Enthusiast

Shit im paying $30,000 in tuition right now to get my technition certification. You went to UTI? for the Volvo SAFE program? how long was the course? and how much was it 9k? You just shotdown my dreams of workin on 911s..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)